1200 cals + exercise= GAINING WEIGHT?!

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Newbie here.... Please educate me. What do TDEE and BRM mean?
    Several of us linked to pages about TDEE and BMR in our posts about them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Her diary is open and she is def not starving herself. So let's not say to eat more just because she said she is at 1200 cals. Most days she is eating more than 1200, and it doesn't look like she is netting under 1200 either...... The answer is not always hey you need to eat more!! Check out Road maps or whatever. Some people are actually just different.

Not sure what it can be, maybe your metabolism needs time to change? How long have you noticed weight gain? Are you doing Strength training? This could be temporary.
    Actually. In place of a road map would say no, some folks aren't different. And would say: know how many calories you need to eat. In most cases, it's more than 1200.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any mention of what timeframe or how much weight you've gained... how much are we talking? If you are only up a couple of pounds and it's the first time you've weighed in a week it could simply be water retention and normal scale fluctuations.

How long have you been gaining, and how much?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Her diary is open and she is def not starving herself. So let's not say to eat more just because she said she is at 1200 cals. Most days she is eating more than 1200, and it doesn't look like she is netting under 1200 either...... The answer is not always hey you need to eat more!! Check out Road maps or whatever. Some people are actually just different.

Not sure what it can be, maybe your metabolism needs time to change? How long have you noticed weight gain? Are you doing Strength training? This could be temporary.
    Actually. In place of a road map would say no, some folks aren't different. And would say: know how many calories you need to eat. In most cases, it's more than 1200.

Without wanting to sound rude, you are 47 Sabine the OP is 19? so you may have different calorie/macro quotas?

`We` can not all work/function in the same way. So the other reply was true, folks are different.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Without wanting to sound rude, you are 47 Sabine the OP is 19? so you may have different calorie/macro quotas?

`We` can not all work/function in the same way. So the other reply was true, folks are different.
    To be clear: I merely corrected the statement saying "go to the road map, we're all different". The road map would say we are the same in that: we need to find out how many calories we burn. Which is why I suggested she approach her stall by finding out how much she burns. Given that she's said she has grossly under eaten in the past, I thought she'd like to know how to actually fuel her body. And yes, she and I *do* have different needs. My BMR and TDEE are likely quite a bit lower than hers. And yet, my BMR is more than 1200.

I find the whole thing quite fascinating, actually. Everything I've read says: eat above BMR. Everything I've read ON HERE, including in the app itself, says never let your NET go below 1200. Yet the app only complains if your gross (rather than NET) goes below 1200....
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with Smiley, I've been on 5:2 diet since beginning of year, and does not take exercise calories lost into consideration. There is a group on mfp and we are losing weight. I consume around 500 cals on fast days and as near as I can to between 1200 and 1500 on feast. Hopefully will have lost a stone by end of week. Well I'll have to now I've said it!
  • alicesheard
    Options
    hey, thanks for the response, this is what i struggle with my boyfriend thinks that as my stomach isnt toned there must be weight to lose but i wasn't sure if it was more of a body fat percentage issue!! if i was to focus on lowering body fat percentage would that be more of a training regime than a diet restriction? thanks again for the help :)
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses guys... I don't know about eating more. I'm a bit fearful of it but I suppose it's worth a shot. My biggest fear is that the only way I can actually lose weight is going back to the 700-800 calorie thing since that's what worked for me before.

I forgot to mention, I actually do eat back my exercise calories. So I actually will have around 1300-1400 in a day, for those of you who said I didn't.

Whether you exercise or not, netting under 1200 calories will not help you reach your goal. I'm doing Insanity and it requires that I eat at least 2000 calories a day. Listen to your body.