Marathon runners - can I do it? Need some encouragement

Options
I've wanted to run a marathon for most of my life and I decided that this is my year to do it. Now that I've registered for the race and committed to the training, I am freaking out! Can I really run a marathon?

I started running a year ago and have completed two half marathons - my last was two weeks ago and I ran a 1:55 without killing myself. I normally run just over 30 miles per week and a couple of weeks ago did 44 miles. No problem other than sore feet and a blister where my tech shirt rubbed. I am using a plan similar to Hal Higdon's novice 2 since I meet the criteria for that. My marathon is in late June - 3 months from now.

When I ran the half marathon, I loved it but thought to myself that there's no way I could double this distance. This weekend I am running my first run longer than a half marathon (15 miles). I am very worried that i can never work up to marathon distance but I think this is more of a mental issue than a physical issue for me.

Did any of you have this fear when you started training? I'd appreciate any advice for coping with it.

Replies

• mcharow
    mcharow Posts: 1
    Options
    When I started running 5 years ago I couldn't complete a half mile. Two times a week I went out and ran and each day I ran a little farther than the day before. It might have been just one house farther or to the next light post but it was always a little bit. Today I have run over a dozen half marathons, four full marathons and more 5K and 10Ks than I can remember. If you are capable of running a half marathon now and you follow a plan (and the Hal Higdon ones are very good) then you can finish a marathon. It is just that same principle. Add a little bit each week.

I have found the hardest part about distance training is getting your mind wrapped around it. If you can find people to run with I think that makes the long runs easier. Once your get the mental part down, the running is easy :-)

One last bit of advice, start working on your fueling on these long runs. You are going to need it during the race.

Good Luck and have a great time!
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    You have it!!!! Stop thinking about it. Don't think it's two half marathons, because it really isn't. trust me it's a really hard 10K. Increase your mileage in an appropriate manner with long runs and be very careful the first 10 miles or so. Many peeps get too caught up in the excitement and rush off too quick. Pace pace pace. Best of luck.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    When I started running 5 years ago I couldn't complete a half mile. Two times a week I went out and ran and each day I ran a little farther than the day before. It might have been just one house farther or to the next light post but it was always a little bit. Today I have run over a dozen half marathons, four full marathons and more 5K and 10Ks than I can remember. If you are capable of running a half marathon now and you follow a plan (and the Hal Higdon ones are very good) then you can finish a marathon. It is just that same principle. Add a little bit each week.

I have found the hardest part about distance training is getting your mind wrapped around it. If you can find people to run with I think that makes the long runs easier. Once your get the mental part down, the running is easy :-)

One last bit of advice, start working on your fueling on these long runs. You are going to need it during the race.

Good Luck and have a great time!

Amazing! Wow.

I am working on my 5Ks again...about all my knees can handle at this point. I am so impressed with you guys.

Just watch your health...being able to stay fit is more important than a number or a mile.
  • lkbusby
    lkbusby Posts: 8
    Options
    You can do it. I am training for my first half now and i think that every weekend but this weekend was so much better and i feel confident again. Best of luck to you! you will do awesome!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    you can absolutely do it. It seems like a long way, but somewhere in training, your perception changes, and that 10 mile long run that you feared becomes the 'short run' you look forward to. Plus, few things feel as good as the joy of finishing your first marathon

Feel free to add me for encouragement!
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can complete a marathon if you believe you can. Marathon training really is as much mental as physical. Work your way up to a 20 miler & you're good. Feel free to add me if you like!

Laura
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    Options
    you can absolutely do it. It seems like a long way, but somewhere in training, your perception changes, and that 10 mile long run that you feared becomes the 'short run' you look forward to. Plus, few things feel as good as the joy of finishing your first marathon

^^This!

You seriously will find yourself telling your friends, "It's just a 10-mile run" and thinking nothing of it. And the feeling of crossing the finish line is one of the best feelings in the world!

I would also add to make sure you're eating right during training. Treat each long run as if it's a race: from dinner the night before, to breakfast the day of, your water intake, gel intake (if applicable), even what you wear. It's the best way to prevent any bad surprises come race day.

Training for a marathon takes a lot of time, effort, and energy, but the pride you feel in yourself of knowing that your hard work and dedication paid off is worth every second of it. You can do it; best of luck!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! I used to say I would never run a marathon (for various reasons) and before I knew it, I had run 14 of them and 2 50 mile ultramarathons! I used to be fat and sedentary and started out not being able to run a 1/2 mile. If you ran your half in a comfortable 1:55, the 15 miler will go well and you will progress from there.

Which marathon are you doing?
  • runnrgrl74
    runnrgrl74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, you CAN do it! Follow the plan consistently, and in 3 months you will complete the 26.2 race! I absolutely felt the same way you did before running my first full - that there was NO WAY I would be able to double the Half distance and complete a full! I followed a hybrid of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 and Intermediate 1 (I ran the mileage of Intermediate 1, but I gave myself a rest day before my long run - which is similar to Novice 2), and even though it seemed impossible, I completed all of my long training runs (in the crazy humid heat of summer) and completed the Chicago Marathon last October! It was such a great experience (the race and even the training), that I'm now registered and training for my second marathon. Trust in your training - those plans work! Hal's plans are well known and respected for getting you safely to the Start line and seeing you through to the Finish line. Those long runs are intimidating. I was scared before each and every one of them. And I was also emotional after I completed them. I never before believed I was capable of running that kind of distance. I don't look like your average, skinny & lean runner and I've had to work very hard to lose weight and then maintain that loss, so completing a marathon was a very big deal. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish when you consistently stick to the plan! Good luck! And ENJOY that race!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Which marathon are you doing?

Seattle Rock and Roll. :)

Wow!! Thank you all for such awesome responses. I feel so much more like this is attainable, knowing that others started out with the same mindset. I aspire to be like all of you.