How to avoid boredom when running on a treadmill

Options

Replies

• annieray1999
    Options
    There is an APP called COUCH to 5K
    Get it....its fun....it works and you wont be bored!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Practice doing math in your head. You'd be amazed how this makes time fly.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    but baby it's cold outside
    LOL!!!

Okay back to the topic, have you tried HIIT? Interval training goes fast, and you usually only need 15-20 minutes per day.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I listen to audio books or podcasts, and I also have some music on my iPod in case those start getting boring. Even running outside can be boring unless you find a way to focus on your rich inner life.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    In college my boredom deterrent was preselected based on who occupied the stair climber in my field of vision...
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    Why not download a movie or tv series onto your ipad?
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You need better music!

^ This
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    do intervals. 2 minutes at 5 mph, 2 minutes at 6.5, back to 2 minutes at 5, a minute at 8, etc. try to change up your speed. make sure some of your intervals are tough so that getting through that and then going back to an easier interval will seem like a reward.

this, of course, is just an example. make sure to do intervals you can handle.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Put a poster of Channing Tatum up! LOL

Seriously, change up the music, get a TV, move the treadmill in front of a window, listen to a good book, cover up the timer, change the incline, etc ....

Good Luck!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I listen to motivational speeches on youtube.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Switch it up and try running around the neighbourhood. If running outside isn't an option at the moment than try intervals(HIIT). Brisk walk for a a minute, run for 3, jog for 2, brisk walk for 1 and repeat(or whatever combo you want) Doing the intervals will keep your body guessing, and will help keep things fresh for you! Also, try running for 5 minutes, hop off the treadmill and do 50 jumping jacks, and 10 push ups, hop back on and run for a another 5 and repeat. Switching things up can make a huge difference!

Good luck!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Usually I just spend my time putting in order which chicks i want bang. I categorize them.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    I use a fishing pole and a carrot...I hang the carrot 5 feet infront of the treadmill and try to reach it.

Or try running backwards
  • shakey68
    shakey68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with the TV. And if you don't have cable (I don't where my TM is), I have the Wii set up with Netflix. I figure out what I'm watching before hand so I can just go. Have you checked out Songza? My daughter has it on her Ipod touch and the playlists are fantastic in any genre. Good lunch.
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do intervals, breaks the monotony. also i use my iphone and have HBO go (only if you are HBO subscriber) it has every episode of every HBO show ever made for free! i started sex and the city season 1, each episode is about 25 minutes which is perfect for me, because i generally run 2 miles with warm up /cool down, unless you are training for race i wouldn't think you would need more than that either! go to weights!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I either catch up on shows that my husband doesn't watch with me using network apps or download shows I want to watch to my iPad. I also occaisionally just watch whatever's on TV. (Usually some sort of Law and Order rerun since I run at 5am!)
  • suziphene
    suziphene Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I watch iplayer on my kindle it's the only way I can do it I get bored really easily, ball sports used to be more my thing but too old and too big for that now. :sad:
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You need better music!

What he said!! add some new music thats what I did and i'm getting a new burst of energy from it...or I watch a movie...i'm so focused on that I tune everything out including the running and I don't realize it until the treadmill slows down..lol (just started running..up to 15 minutes now doing C25k)..
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I have been running on my treadmill out in my garage for the past month. (at least 3 times a week) I bring my phone or my iPad out so that i can turn on Pandora and listen to music but i still seem to get bored very easily. After about 8-10 minutes my heart rate levels out and i feel like i could run forever, but at about 15 minutes i get bored and end up only running 2.08miles/22minutes! Please someone give me some ideas so i can try to work closer to my 5k goal!

Stop after 15 - hit the weights.

QFT
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Run in my neighborhood and ditch the treadmill! I always feel like a hamster on a wheel :yawn: