How to avoid boredom when running on a treadmill

Options

Replies

• HonoriaLucasta
    HonoriaLucasta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I'm really playing the mental game it helps sometimes to cover the screen with something so I can't see how far I have left to go and just count songs instead - like I tell myself I can look at the screen after the 10th song that plays on my random playlist, or whatever; counting the songs helps distract me, I'm not glancing down every five seconds to see how much more I have left, and by the time the last song is up I'll have either gotten to however far I want to go or will be close enough that it doesn't take mad willpower to finish it up.

I've been watching old episodes of Beverly Hills 90210 on mute lately while on the TM, which seems to hit the sweet spot for me of engaging enough to distract me (I think Steve's early-seasons mullet alone is engaging enough to distract me) but not so engaging that I actually need/want to hear the dialogue.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    listen to an audio book.
    ^^^^ This. All I do is listen to audio books and it's been great.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Make a DVD of a dog, lion, alligator, or movie killer like Freddy, Jason etc... running towards the camera, play it on the TV behind you and have a mirror in front of you so you can see it and pretend you are being chased.

To mix it up you could also record a hot guy or girl (whatever you are into) running away from you and put the TV in front of the treadmill and pretend you are chasing them. Maybe have a knife in your hand for extra strength training, but switch hands once in a while so as to keep it even.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    watch tv or movies...if you don't have a tv in front of your treadmill, you can always bring your laptop (or ipad) and set it up on the display panel of your treadmill.

music always works. but you've got to change up your playlist often.

what i've been doing lately is pretending i'm running a marathon and i'm at the last 1-2 miles. i visualize a leaner me running to the finish line with all the people that i annoy the crap out of me standing there at the finish line watching me finish the marathon in record time. not only does that make the time fly and keep me from getting bored, it also helps me to push myself to run further/faster towards the end.
  • kharper85
    kharper85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Netflix on the iPad... you don't even realize how long you've been running
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Use a wheelchair, work them arms out.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    go outside

For the win.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Run outside at a park:smile:
  • rarester
    rarester Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I increase the font on my kindle turn the orientation landscape and read. Time flies when you have a good book. Also the audio book suggestion and the film suggestion sounds good. I might give the film suggestion a try out.
  • finallydetermined
    finallydetermined Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    but baby it's cold outside
    LOL!!!

Okay back to the topic, have you tried HIIT? Interval training goes fast, and you usually only need 15-20 minutes per day.

^^this^^ HIIT really keeps my mind engages and the time flies! Alternately it helps to cover up the time and let your mind wander
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    intervals for sure can help
    kickin tunes with a good beat on a play list that you can put on random
    i just installed fitradio, its free for a while, its pretty good too.
    have a good motivation, a new goal for speed or distance, what ever and work towards it.
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Put a poster of Channing Tatum up! LOL

Seriously, change up the music, get a TV, move the treadmill in front of a window, listen to a good book, cover up the timer, change the incline, etc ....

Good Luck!

Love your idea!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    im telling you, just start ranking the ppl in the gym you would have sex with.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    One word: costume.

Wait-- that was vague. Three words: Wear a costume.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    go outside! i loathe the treadmill which is why i run outside.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    TV.

When I run on the treadmill I either watch a show I DVR'd or something else that's on TV for an hour and my 6+ miles fly by.

As for all the people who say go outside:

Not everyone has the nice weather to do so right now. While I would love to take my running outside it's cold. There are parts of the road that are still icy. There are HUGE potholes everywhere that get covered by said ice and when the snow is melting get filled with water making it difficult to tell if it's a puddle or a huge hole and my particular road is muddy and nasty when it's starting to thaw.

I'd rather play it safe and run inside. The thought of busting my ankle and not being able to do ANY cardio for a few months really doesn't appeal to me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Murder mysteries on my ipod.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i watch netflix on my phone. it's especially nice if the gym has free wifi!
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I find changing the incline or speed a little every 30 or 60 seconds helps to break up the monotony.

This helps...

I use a free iTrain app that offers a guided treadmill workout. It helps stave off boredom and definitely keeps me working out my hardest.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ive only started to run outside and i agree completely however there are still lots of times i can run on my treadmill when i cant go outside either because the kids are sleeping or its well below zero.