can't stop worrying :(

Options
First of all, I'm on birth control that keeps me from having my period until I get to a certain section of the pills, but I've been on it for a while now, so I don't think they're to blame. But in the past couple of weeks I've been gaining weight... well, I usually weigh around 104.5 lbs but two days ago I weighed 105.8 (in the morning naked etc) and one previous morning I weighed 106.7! I attributed it to the increased strength training I had been doing initially, but as of late I've also been pooping less and my stomach has been appearing noticeably more bloated in the mirror in the mornings (though it's so frustrating because I can't tell if it's bloat or fat!).

A week or so ago I injured my achilles tendons and the doctor told me to lay off of cardio for two weeks. So I have been, and I've been trying to do chair aerobics and more strength training that doesn't involve my feet, stuff like that, but not being able to do cardio has made me feel absolutely awful.

I eat VERY healthily as well, always have... and I should add that my senior year of high school (which was last year) I didn't eat as much as I should have and at times weighed 95 lbs. I'm 5 ft 5 so I knew that that wasn't good- especially the way that I was going about it, as I had disordered thinking patterns- and I know that it's alright that I weight more now, but I'm terrified of seeing my weight steadily creep up until I've gained an unhealthy amount. Can anybody help me out or give me some plausible explanations? Am I really just freaking out over nothing or is there something to be concerned about?

Replies

• tabithacate
    tabithacate Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There is no need to worry about it pounds go up & down during the day. Don't weigh yourself everyday it will drive you crazy trust me!
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Do not obsess over the scale. Back off of it for awhile. Weight goes up and down, try just weighing once a week or twice a month.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Your 5ft 5 and fretting over being 106lbs.. You are still underweight I am sure and that little fluctuation is water weight more than anything.. You may still have an issue here and need some guidance to get better..
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm not trying to be mean here at all, but your thinking still sounds a bit off. Weighing yourself daily and freaking out about slight fluctuations isn't healthy for anyone, but especially for someone who has had issues with food in the past and is currently a little underweight (going by your stated weight/height).

You're also anxious about not being able to do cardio and feeling horrible because of it.

All these things are concerning as they add up. I'm not gonna say you have an ED, just want to let you know that you should really be mindful of your attitudes towards weight and your body. What you're describing here is very typical, but it isn't healthy. Perhaps talk to a professional if you can? Otherwise try to adopt a healthier way of thinking about your body. Instead of obsessing over your weight, why not ditch the scale (give it to someone to keep away from you if you need to) and start focusing on some sort of strength-related goal? Can you do a chin up? A push up? Stuff like that. Much healthier and happier to think of positive stuff rather than weight and what the scale says at any given moment.

:flowerforyou:
  • BrittanyAnnL
    Options
    OP, I'm not trying to be mean here at all, but your thinking still sounds a bit off. Weighing yourself daily and freaking out about slight fluctuations isn't healthy for anyone, but especially for someone who has had issues with food in the past and is currently a little underweight (going by your stated weight/height).

You're also anxious about not being able to do cardio and feeling horrible because of it.

All these things are concerning as they add up. I'm not gonna say you have an ED, just want to let you know that you should really be mindful of your attitudes towards weight and your body. What you're describing here is very typical, but it isn't healthy. Perhaps talk to a professional if you can? Otherwise try to adopt a healthier way of thinking about your body. Instead of obsessing over your weight, why not ditch the scale (give it to someone to keep away from you if you need to) and start focusing on some sort of strength-related goal? Can you do a chin up? A push up? Stuff like that. Much healthier and happier to think of positive stuff rather than weight and what the scale says at any given moment.

:flowerforyou:

Yeah.... I second that. Not trying to bash you but you seem to be approaching weight & food the wrong way. Also you might want to try adding some fiber to your diet you may just be constipated. You are underweight for your height and if thats what you prefer then fine, as long as you are being healthy and eating to nourish your body. Eating Disorders are nothing to mess around with....
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Options
    No, you guys aren't being mean at all. You're absolutely correct. I've had a lot of issues with anxiety and feeling like I'm being defined by numbers and getting these stupid guilty complexes. I love the idea of having a fitness, non-weight related goal. :) I've thought about ditching the scale, too, but then you hear about how people who don't weigh themselves tend to weigh more etc... I just worry a lot. I want to be healthy and happy with myself despite what the machine on the floor of my bathroom says. Thank you for knocking some sense into me :) I just needed to hear from people who aren't crazy, and perhaps I really ought to see a counselor at some point.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you've had a hard time with anxiety and all this weight/body image stuff.

I strongly suggest you avoid making that goal something cardio or endurance-related and instead focus on strength. I mean doing something cool and strong with your body rather than running a marathon, for instance. I just think taking the focus away from cardio and instead trying to build some muscle and see how it feels to be able to chin yourself over a bar, or do a bunch of pushups, squat and deadlift your bodyweight (or more), etc. might be much more rewarding and positive goals for you in the end. I think working on gaining some strength might help you to feel more comfortable with eating, as well.

Think a bit more about what you can do as far as the scale situation goes. That would be something to discuss with a counselor, but I think what it really comes down to is that you have to somehow get your brain to believe that you're not in danger of gaining a bunch of fat overnight, or even over a month's time. Easier said than done, I'm sure.

Not sure how you feel about eating fat, but I experienced a lot of anxiety and depression when I wasn't eating enough healthy saturated fats and was deficient in certain vitamins. I thought I was eating very well--vegetarian and then vegan diet over about 20 years time, but it just wasn't meant to be (for me) in the end. I'm not any sort of health professional, so please, if you're curious about this stuff, speak to your doctor rather than some random lady on MFP.