Beginning Yoga

Options
This may have been discussed before, and I apologize for asking it again. Is it better to start yoga doing a DVD at home or actually going into a fitness place to do it? I guess I'm afraid of embarrassing myself.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, really. It would be beneficial to take a class from a certified instructor because they can watch your form and guide you, but there's lots of good DVDs out there.
  • Amanda993
    Amanda993 Posts: 51
    Options
    I was nervous about taking a class too, but I started one 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I think it's way better than doing a DVD at home.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Go to a beginners class (if offered) so you can be sure you are doing the poses correctly. Yoga is a lot of correct breathing, and body alignment. If you have not done any yoga, and pick it up at home, you could be doing it incorrectly. I think it;s great you are wanting to start it. It is fantastic for your health. Good luck! :)
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, really. It would be beneficial to take a class from a certified instructor because they can watch your form and guide you, but there's lots of good DVDs out there.

I agree. Go to a class for beginners. That's how I started and it was helpful to have someone guide you in doing the poses in proper form or show you how to modify a pose that you are not yet able to do. :)

It's a great exercise! Best of luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Don't worry what anyone at a class would be thinking. In my experience, everyone in class is too busy worrying about themselves to even look at how someone else is doing. I prefer the classroom experience, for the same reasons already given, the instructor can help you make sure you are doing it right.
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    I started with a beginners class at a local yoga studio. They had a goupon for 10 classes for $20 so I jumped on it. Starting with a class and an instructor really helped me to get basic form down. Now, I mostly just practice at home because I cannot afford to pay for a membership but I'm glad I got my foundation first! :)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Take a class then the instructor will help with form. And then you can do videos.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I went to a beginners class. Glad I did!
  • pammcw
    pammcw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yogalosophy by Mandy Ingber 2 workouts on the DVD. It is easy to follow. She gets a high recommendation from Jennifer Aniston. I was able to get it thru our local library & like it so well I ordered from Amazon. Enjoy!
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You might want to start with a video to learn some of the terminology but I'd suggest going to a yoga studio. There is no substitute for good instruction, particularly when you are just starting out. Make sure you pick a good studio with all the props (blocks, blankets, straps - you'll learn how to use these) and really make sure you pick a class for beginners. Do NOT worry about how you look or being embarrassed. You will quickly find the point is to work on you, not compete. It's a great workout and the stress reduction has changed my life for the better. I hope for you the same. Namaste!
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga, it's so relaxing. I reccomend starting in a fitness center, that's what I did and having an actual instructor pushed me to keep doing the moves and stuff without giving up.
  • juliewebberlovett
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your answers. They were very helpful. I will look into it a little more.