Some advice please, anyone!

Options
I've been struggling with my weight since I came down with fibromyalgia. I want to get back to where I was desperately, but just can't seem to figure it out. I also recently had a baby, so I'm trying to get that weight gone too, but I don't have the time to go to the gym and I'm at a loss for things I can do at the house. Plus, working out at the house isn't nearly as motivating as being at a gym with everyone around you moving you kinda have to just get up and get moving. Don't get me wrong, I move all day long, between chasing my son, he's 9 mo old now, doing chores and taking care of the dogs, before I go to class in the evening. I guess what I'm trying to say is what do I do, in terms of training? What do I cut out so I can squeeze in some exercise time? My other issue is our diet. My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, and I refuse to force him to diet just because I am, and our budget doesn't allow for us to have 2 completely different food plans, so how do I continue to make the meals he likes while supplementing in something healthier for me? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    What you eat is WAY more important than working out. I've lost my 118 pounds really without working out much at all. I've gradually increased the activity I do, but really - it's been without going to the gym really at all.

Finding a nutritionist would be a really smart move. I've been working with them for almost 2 years now, and it's been very helpful. One of them told me if you focus on lean, healthy proteins, the fat/carbs will take care of themselves, and that's been pretty close to true. Also, increasing fiber is important, and drinking lots of water.

Just take it one step at a time and slowly add to what you're doing - you'll get there.
  • irsleepy2
    irsleepy2 Posts: 47
    Options
    Put the baby in a stroller and go for a LONG walk :) As far as food, you can still make the things your husband wants, just put less on your plate, and try to stay away from the things that are high in carbs/sugar, etc. It takes time, but you can do it :)
  • witts157
    witts157 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with my weight since I came down with fibromyalgia. I want to get back to where I was desperately, but just can't seem to figure it out. I also recently had a baby, so I'm trying to get that weight gone too, but I don't have the time to go to the gym and I'm at a loss for things I can do at the house. Plus, working out at the house isn't nearly as motivating as being at a gym with everyone around you moving you kinda have to just get up and get moving. Don't get me wrong, I move all day long, between chasing my son, he's 9 mo old now, doing chores and taking care of the dogs, before I go to class in the evening. I guess what I'm trying to say is what do I do, in terms of training? What do I cut out so I can squeeze in some exercise time? My other issue is our diet. My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, and I refuse to force him to diet just because I am, and our budget doesn't allow for us to have 2 completely different food plans, so how do I continue to make the meals he likes while supplementing in something healthier for me? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Maybe get a workout at home while your son naps... even if it's cleaning vigoriously for 30 mins.... or lifting weights... maybe even a walk with the baby in the stroller.
    Also when it comes to meals.... maybe you can find healthier alternatives to your husband's meat and potatoes recipes and incorporate more veggies as well as different flavors/spices.

Hope this helps!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options

I don't know much about how diet can affect your condition so won't speak to that.

I am married with kids too and maybe what you need to do is look at how you shop...and how you store food. For example you can buy bulk items on your budget but spend a bit of freezer bags or freezer boxes (even the dollar store has those) and cook two meats for the same meal of sides - so like he wants steak but you think fish/chicken would be better for loosing/maintaining? You make your sides the same - measuring out your allotted quantity based on your count, and then you grill something for him (barbecue or oven) and something for you. Also, making ahead items might save you from some struggle - same principle regarding the sides but then you have meal portioned frozen things of beef stew or whatever he fancies in serving sizes that you can just reheat and put on a plate. It means taking a day or so a month to prep - but it also saves you from the whole - WTH am I serving for dinner issue. Also, if you meal plan in advance it saves you that headache - because you can eat most of what he eats just know that you will either have to reserve some calories in the day for your dinner (carb heavy with potatoes and rice) or just be religious about making a recipe for your mashed potatoes and sticking to what is a reasonable serving size. Over time it gets easier to eat less. I usually do a whack of baby food for the freezer on the same day I do a bunch of soups and stuff.

Another thing - the freezer is your friend - if you are like me and like to go back for another spoonful of dinner out of the pot then popping the stuff straight into a freezer container will save you from yourself.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What I meant to say - before my baby brain kicked in - was that you do individual freezer portions of fish, chicken, steak, or whatever and then you are able to cook his meat and your meat on the grill at the same time. Also, if it tastes really good the MandP guys come around - do what you do with a kid - promise them a really nice dessert if they eat it without complaint...fruit salad or a treat that is just for him! ;)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As far as exercise goes... Just do what you can. If you want to do a little strength training while the baby is napping, there are plenty of body weight exercises you can do (push-ups, planks, tricep dips, google for more), If you want to add weights, used gallon jugs are free - filled with water, they weigh about 8 pounds each and of course with caps on, you can just fill them half way if that's easier at first....although with a baby around, I'm sure you're used to carrying around more weight than that. Here's a good workout: http://imgfave.com/view/1971051

My Hubs is a meat and potatoes guy too and I found there is absolutely no reason to cook separate meals. Just keep your portions in check and try to use leaner meats when you can. I've basically cut out the starch (rice, pasta, potato) portion from my plate and mostly fill up on the meat (because protein is very filling) and veg. When making casseroles, try to cut down on the pasta a bit to save calories, use a bit less meat and leaner meat and use more veg to bulk it back up.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I like the "You are Your Own Gym" app for body weight training: you can dial up an exercise time anywhere from two to 40 minutes.

I also started running because I could do it with my two kids in the stroller, before they wake up in the morning, etc.

In terms of eating: make your husband his meat and potatoes. Have a small serving of meat and potatoes. And fill up the rest of your plate with green beans or squash or salad. You'll eat fewer calories and get more of the micro-nutrients you need.
  • momsy55
    momsy55 Posts: 3
    Options
    If you have cable, check out if they have free workouts. Comcast does. Also take your baby and dogs out for long walks.

You can serve meat and potatoes. You can just have more veggies and salads along with a modest serving of meat.

Well I just read the previous post. Sorry for the repeat!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It helps to think of this as a lifestyle, rather than a diet. I eat the same thing the rest of my family eats. My 91 year old mom only likes "comfort foods." My husabnd will eat anything but needs larger portions. I cook things like spaghetti and meatballs, pot roast, chicen piccata, hamburgers, steak and baked potatoes, etc. I just eat less of it. For instance, yesterday I made tacos. I had two tacos but with 1/2 the ground beef that my hubby used and I doubled the lettuce and tomatoes. I also skipped the spanish rice side but had some beans. Everyone gets reduced-fat cheese because that is what is on the table (I doubt if they even know it.) It takes a mind-set change I think.

As far as working out at home, if you use DVDs or stream a YouTube clip, it might keep you more motivated that just "going it alone."

Good Luck!