HULA HOOP

Options
Mimisam45
Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
Has anyone done this for fitness training?? I have heard bits on the news and in magazines recently and think it would be fun. In fact, there is a studio in a city about 45 minutes from me that specializes in the classes and you can "customize" your hoop.

What is your take? Has anyone tried it?:happy:

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Hooping is great fun and pretty decent aerobic exercise. Just realize that you probably won't have much success trying to use a "child" size hoop. You need an adult sized hoop and they're harder to find. I think Walmart has them. Otherwise you can make your own with irrigation tubing and some elbow grease. It's kind of a "niche" hobby.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hooping is great fun and pretty decent aerobic exercise. Just realize that you probably won't have much success trying to use a "child" size hoop. You need an adult sized hoop and they're harder to find. I think Walmart has them. Otherwise you can make your own with irrigation tubing and some elbow grease. It's kind of a "niche" hobby.

Just on Amazon looking to get one!! I watched a few youtube videos and it looks like fun. Who knew that at nearly 60 I would be back to things from childhood like hooping and jumping rope??? :happy:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done this for fitness training?? I have heard bits on the news and in magazines recently and think it would be fun. In fact, there is a studio in a city about 45 minutes from me that specializes in the classes and you can "customize" your hoop.

What is your take? Has anyone tried it?:happy:

Definitely go the custom hoop route, as these classes usually adjust the hoop size to your size. On general principles, it should come up to your belly button, but if you have a big belly, you might want it a bit larger yet.

I get bored just hooping, but I love learning do tricks and hoop dancing!
  • willowdancer
    Options
    Hooping is an awesome form of cardio exercise; I have been hooping for almost four years and I still love it. I use www.hooping.org for their free video tutorials and inspiration.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, its part of mine, LOVE IT!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I found mine at a sporting goods store, it's collapsible so I can take it with me while traveling. It's also weighted so it makes the workouts a bit harder, you have to swing your hips more to keep it going. The kid hoops aren't much of a workout.
  • philohagen
    Options
    Hooping is my primary fitness regimen - the better you get at it you can really work your whole body. The American Council on Exercise found in their study of hooping that you can burn 210 Calories in half an hour, which makes it right up there with a Bootcamp workout, but a hell of a lot more fun and a lot lower impact. Take a look at Hooping.org and you'll find there's a whole world of people hooping these days and it's a great resource for tracking down adult sized dance hoops and a whole lot more. While I haven't been on My Fitness Pal that long I was at 230 pounds and I'm now down to 185 - and that's really just hooping for a minimum of 30 minutes a day and diet. Have fun!
  • willowdancer
    Options
    Hooping is my primary fitness regimen - the better you get at it you can really work your whole body. The American Council on Exercise found in their study of hooping that you can burn 210 Calories in half an hour, which makes it right up there with a Bootcamp workout, but a hell of a lot more fun and a lot lower impact. Take a look at Hooping.org and you'll find there's a whole world of people hooping these days and it's a great resource for tracking down adult sized dance hoops and a whole lot more. While I haven't been on My Fitness Pal that long I was at 230 pounds and I'm now down to 185 - and that's really just hooping for a minimum of 30 minutes a day and diet. Have fun!

^^This!^^