Avoiding Break-Room Blunders..?

Options
Hi everyone!

So I'm here in the office on my lunch break, tracking my lunch, and I walk into the breakroom and see a whole spread of St. Patricks Day goodies. Sugar cookies with green sprinkles, rice krispie treats with green frosting, brownies, etc.

I am doing fabulously at avoiding these treats so far, but my question for you is how do YOU avoid break room blunders? What keeps you from grabbing a cookie? I'd love to know. I need that motivation most days!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad about this, and our office always has goodies. I just keep telling myself no. And get some gum. But, more often than not, I'll have a goodie (a small piece of pie today), But, for me, that is a bad downward spiral, cue last week's "one small treat" turning into a lot more than that. I am holding strong today, I jsut have to remind myself how nasty I feel after eating all that crap, and how one bite usually leads me to 6 cookies!
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've heard that gum can help curb cravings but I never believed it to be true! That's good to know!

I started losing weight on weight watchers and their huge thing is to eat what you want and track it. I only lost 11 pounds in six months and I feel that THAT state of mind was my downfall. My goal now is to not do treats whatsoever. Lose the weight, eat healthy, work out. No treats. People say that I will binge later if I don't treat myself, but the fact is, I control what goes into my home when I shop. Period.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I work for a Major US Candy Company, and we have BOWLS of our products sitting at each Coffee station and in every conference room through-out the company. I spend the whole day looking at and discussing candy, which has always been my drug of choice.

I can report that I have not eaten ANY of these items since January 2011 (Because I KNOW one bite and I will return to eating it all the time). My strategy is to PLAN when I will allow myself to have something sweet and NEVER allow it to be at work. Since this is were it is available all the time, and I know it is the highest place of my stress, I just keep from starting down the path. I make sure to have lots of healthy snack items available during the day, and I make sure not to have anything like that unless I plan for it and I do not indulge every day. Usually it might be once a week or every other week.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that I have coworkers who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, and they might have been in the pantry before me.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that I have coworkers who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, and they might have been in the pantry before me.

Thank you. I work in Health Care so I hope they do, but I'm totally stealing this!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I take cayenne powder an sprinkle it all over all hte food so I'm not tempted to eat it.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I ask my co-workers what's their least favorite snacks to munch on throughout the day and typically I would bring that to work, LOL
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is that if I'm going to splurge, I'm going to splurge on something that I love and not cardboard-tasting supermarket cookies. Give me some premium cheesecake, at least!

Why should I eat those cookies and then have to tell my friend that I don't feel like going out to a fabulous Italian place because I've already gone over for the week?

If you plan for a treat and you enjoy it, that's one thing. But if you have you hand in a bag of something you're not really even tasting, then you need to stop and assess what you really want from your life.
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    No word of a lie.we have a "DONUT POLICY" where I work. It is given to each new employee and is even framed on the lunch room wall. It specifies you have to bring in 3 dozen donuts (or sugery baked goods in place of donuts) for certain occasions (birthdays, 1st paycheck, last paycheck, awards, car accidents, buying a house, babies, marriage, divorice....) We even have a stupidity clause, where if you do something stupid and tell someone about it, you have to bring in donuts!! It specifically says if you try to bring in healthy treats (fruit, veggies) you have to do double donut duty!!

I avoid the lunch room or take a piece of fruit with me to munch on. I do however have certain days I cannot resist. The home made baked goods are the ones that get me. I just make sure I adjust the rest of my day so I can afford to eat a treat when I want to.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I make sure my day is planned out. I won't eat the cookie because I already have a healthy snack at my desk. OR sometimes I eat the cookie and just count the calories.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals the day before

or imagine the food with maggots/poop/anything disguisting on them, and it will put you off, imagine the smell too!

works for me!