When taking photos

Options
I'm taking photos of my weight loss as a form of motivation when i don't see the scales move, my questions is when taking a photo should i just stand straight and comfortable because i notice i hold my stomach in slightly or do i push my stomach out? This may sound very stupid not IO just want to make sure I am doing this right. :smile:

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter really. Just make sure you do the same pose and posture for both the before and after photos. If you want to suck it in, do it both before and after.
  • favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    First off, taking photos is GREAT motivation! My husband balked at doing "before" pictures, and we just agreed to take them and not look at them for a while. Now I about gag when I see my initial photos, but on days when I'm feeling like my belly/arms/thighs will never get smaller, those earlier photos prove that they already have, so I know they'll keep going as I work hard.

Second, I try not to suck it in or push it out. Try taking a deep breath, then exhale and take the picture. You want a realistic representation of yourself (or you will when you get brave enough to see yourself a few months later). And don't get too caught up in "doing this right" or you may get preoccupied with what you're eating, how you're exercising, etc. (See many of these forums revolving around ridiculous little rules people have and think everyone else should follow.) Just eat a little less, move a little more, and most importantly, do what works for you! It feels so much better than following other people's rules!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have a specific pose that reflects all the chub without my trying to fix it either way. However, if you suck it in, suck it in. You'll be able to tell the difference when you've lost a significant amount of weight either way.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I really wish I would have taken before pictures!! I have some from about 5 months ago......but it isn't the same uknow
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    First off, taking photos is GREAT motivation! My husband balked at doing "before" pictures, and we just agreed to take them and not look at them for a while. Now I about gag when I see my initial photos, but on days when I'm feeling like my belly/arms/thighs will never get smaller, those earlier photos prove that they already have, so I know they'll keep going as I work hard.

Second, I try not to suck it in or push it out. Try taking a deep breath, then exhale and take the picture. You want a realistic representation of yourself (or you will when you get brave enough to see yourself a few months later). And don't get too caught up in "doing this right" or you may get preoccupied with what you're eating, how you're exercising, etc. (See many of these forums revolving around ridiculous little rules people have and think everyone else should follow.) Just eat a little less, move a little more, and most importantly, do what works for you! It feels so much better than following other people's rules!

^^^THIS!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I always just do a relaxed pose. My phone is seriously full of before and during photos. Every single time I get a new shirt or pair of pants, I take a picture of myself in them because I have a tendency to think I don't look any better in my clothes after losing than I did before. The pictures prove me wrong.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I wear the same or similar clothes and pose naturally.. no holding the tummy in. And I take front, back & side views. It really helps to see your progress. I take them once a month when I do my measurements.