the benefits on protein powder

just curious if anyone could tell me how and what type of protein to take to help muscle growth

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    A protein powder alone will not provide muscle growth.

A calorie surplus and heavy heavy lifting will.
  • Trae45
    Trae45 Posts: 5
    cool.. I lift 5X's a week, one body part each workout so i focus solely on that muscle. i was considering taking protein but didnt know where to even start looking
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Get as much protein as you can from real food. Shakes are just a suppliement.
  • Trae45
    Trae45 Posts: 5
    ok, got u. greatly appreciated
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Check your local grocery store.

If you struggle hitting your protein on a daily basis shakes are a good way to do this however they are by no means mandatory.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    I heard rest gives you the best muscle growth.
  • rderrickwhite
    rderrickwhite Posts: 69 Member
    I like Allwhey products... I'd recommend going to to bodybuilder.com and reading some of the customer reviews though. If you are looking for mass, you'll want a different product than the one I use.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

So, if I just laid around all day I'd get HYOOOOOGE! Cool.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,157 Member
    Sleep as well.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Sleep as well.

Cool!! I can get Hyooooge laying around and sleeping. 2 of my favorite things!! :drinker:
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Get as much protein as you can from real food. Shakes are just a suppliement.

^THIS. Body will metabolize it better.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    cool.. I lift 5X's a week, one body part each workout so i focus solely on that muscle. i was considering taking protein but didnt know where to even start looking

If your goal is to build muscle you will probably be better off lifting heavy with compound exercises 3 times a week instead of doing isolation only exercises 5 times a week. Look up Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength for some ideas to get you started.