Protein Shakes & Salads w/ Chicken

Options
Question to all of you lovely people. I am on a medically supervised weight loss program. I know people have differences about this, and I'm not asking you not to speak them, just please don't go overboard. They advise you to drink 6 shakes a day; 5 shakes and one protein bar; or 4 shakes, one bar, and one soup. No matter which one you choose, you are also to have 2-3 cups of either fresh/frozen vegetables & a vitamin.

Although I am not sticking to the program exactly as directed I am still getting amazing results. (I've lost 10 pounds since last Tuesday.) To get to my question... IF you've ever done it did/do you have a problem when it comes time to eat 'normal' food again? By saying I have not been following the guidelines strictly, I mean I will skip the 3 cups of veggies and have have only 3 shakes, typically picking up a Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken from McDonalds, only added 1/4 of the dressing (not big on any type of dressing).

When I quit this program I don't want all the weight to come back. I do realize that this is a LIFESTYLE change and I am 100% committed to staying on guard with my logging. Have any of you been through this or currently going through? Would love any inputs whether or not you've done/completed the program or also if you've never done one, but would like to give advice.

Thank you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day at the moment?
  • imperfection_is_beauty
    Options
    Usually on the upper side of 600. Sometimes I do go over with 700.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would say drop this program and try out just a moderate deficit?

It's great that you're losing weight and all but you've got some very valid concerns about putting the weight back on. If you're not learning these new eating patterns as you lose than all the weight lost is pretty pointless unless you plan on eating this way for the rest of you life . . . . .

600-700 calories a day is far from a moderate deficit and I'm sceptical of any program, medically supervised or not, that encourages this type of eating.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I've never done it. What do your doctor and the program say about incorporating "normal" eating back into your diet?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This just doesn't sound sustainable to me. If you aren't going to eat this way forever, then results are likely to be temporary. Why is it so challenging just to eat a moderately balanced, calorie-restricted diet?
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it for a procedure of some sort? How long are you on the program?
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My mom has done these types in the past and is about to start again. I'm sure you realize that she gained the weight back since she's doing it again. If you see results, I'm sure you will do your best to get motivated to stay healthy. Since you are on a very low caloric intake, I assume you are seeing a doctor, nutritionist and some sort of counseling? I'm sure as long as you continue to make changes gradually realizing what you can eat and what you cannot eat, you shouldn't gain weight back (or not much). Keep with the counseling to stay on track.

I would suggest trying to make your own meals vs buying. You can spend less than an hour a week grilling chicken and using in salads. I pre-pack them to toss on my salad each day. I also mention making your own because there are more nutrients in spinach vs lettuce you get in a drive-thru salad. You can use your own dressing that you like (I make my own with olive oil, vinegar and seasonings) and you don't need the croutons they put on there! Plus, it's cheaper!

You will have to find what works best for you and this is one way to jump start your loss, but obviously you cannot live on 600 calories for very long. I would suggest reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes before you start eating real food again.

Take it one day at a time. Logging and reading labels will help you be more aware of what's in your food, especially sugar.

Good Luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Then yes, as soon as you eat normally you will put weight on.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    What is the point of paying for a supervised weight loss program and then doing your own thing? That makes no sense to me.

Your fear of regaining any lost weight is well founded. It will probably happen.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Then yes, as soon as you eat normally you will put weight on.

This..

Eating so little will cause you to lose a great deal of muscle mass along the way.

Those 10lbs you've lost aren't just from fat... it would be mostly muscle and water.

Eat at a proper deficit... ditch the starvation diets.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think that if this is working for you, stick with it.

Sometimes it takes a really massive change to get results (I have done the same thing). Even now, 20lbs away from my GW, if I need to get out of a plateau, I'll have 3 shakes/day for a few days.

What you'll find is that as you lose weight, it'll be easier/more fun to exercise. Then, you add in more exercise to your routine, and you actually need to eat more. Once you are eating well and exercising, you can maintain your new, lower weight. I think the hardest thing to do and the biggest key is to lose the weight initially, and the rest will build on itself.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The doctor as well as the hospital in my community that help with these types programs do not recommend under 1000 cals per day ever. I worked with the dietician from our local hospital and the shakes alone have more calories than what you are getting. My concern for you is this - soon as you eat more than 700 cals you are going to gain weight period. Are you sure that's all the calories in those shakes? If you are under a physician's care than I would say make sure they know you are adding your own items but I'd encourage you to check on the calories. I'm also going to be honest I know THREE people that have done strictly shakes through a similar program and gained it all back. The dietician from that same center feels that it's a losing battle unless people learn how to deal with food. Just eliminating food and drinking liquids doesn't always "fix" that. Please don't think I'm being negative - I'm trying to be as honest as I can for you from what I've learned. I wish you lots of luck and that it works out for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had a very restricted program 14 years ago. I lost 30 lbs in 6 months. And I was 10 lbs over my starting weight again 6 months later (and got beautiful stretching marks in the process). And it was still food... you just started with plain yogurt and veggies and added a new food type every week. I can't even imagine with just eating shakes. Sounds like a recipe for failure, IMO.

I'd ask whoever gave you that diet what their plans are to start eating normally again though. Maybe they slowly switch you over to a normal diet again after a while. It just doesn't seem sustainable long term as is.
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    Add me as a friend, I was on a medical diet like this and gave it up once I figured out a few things on my own.

But in short I lost 20 pounds in the first month, 9 in the first week (water weight for sure) and then have done the rest on my own eating real food.

It was expensive, and not realistic but it was motivating enough to get me started.

:)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Question to all of you lovely people. I am on a medically supervised weight loss program. I know people have differences about this, and I'm not asking you not to speak them, just please don't go overboard. They advise you to drink 6 shakes a day; 5 shakes and one protein bar; or 4 shakes, one bar, and one soup. No matter which one you choose, you are also to have 2-3 cups of either fresh/frozen vegetables & a vitamin.

Although I am not sticking to the program exactly as directed I am still getting amazing results. (I've lost 10 pounds since last Tuesday.) To get to my question... IF you've ever done it did/do you have a problem when it comes time to eat 'normal' food again? By saying I have not been following the guidelines strictly, I mean I will skip the 3 cups of veggies and have have only 3 shakes, typically picking up a Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken from McDonalds, only added 1/4 of the dressing (not big on any type of dressing).

When I quit this program I don't want all the weight to come back. I do realize that this is a LIFESTYLE change and I am 100% committed to staying on guard with my logging. Have any of you been through this or currently going through? Would love any inputs whether or not you've done/completed the program or also if you've never done one, but would like to give advice.

Thank you!

The LIFESTYLE change won't come over night. Logging meals & snacks.... helps you learn about the foods you eat. Everyone will make mistakes along the way ..... as long as you learn from your mistakes ..... and not repeat them.... you will make progress.

Dieting for me is getting the "most bang" for my calorie buck (protien, fiber, healthy fats, etc) ...... one choice at a time. I'm not doing any "program" because I need to LEARN how to eat better ....... if I want to keep the weight off.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I did a medically supervised weight loss like you are speaking of 7 years ago. It was 800 calories a day and consisted of six shakes a day. It was a great way to take off the weight, I dropped from 255 down to 165. I kept the majority of that weight off for about 3 years until I hit a very stressful period late 2009 - 2010. I put back on some of that weight and when I started on this site was 205 again. If you continue with it, just make sure you are learning as much about yourself as possible. By that I mean know what your triggers are that make you overeat. And make a plan on how to deal with those stresses that do not involve food. I've had a substantial deal of stress at work the last three weeks and so far so good. This time I am dealing with that stress by taking it out on the gym equipment instead of stuffing my face. When you start eating regular food again, up your calories slowly until you eat a maintenance level. Of course you know by eating as low as you are eating it could mess up your metabolism. Good luck.
  • imperfection_is_beauty
    Options
    They do teach you how to eat right again. You are only on the shakes/soups/bars for 30 days. I have not got to the point where they talk about solid foods yet, so I was just asking for input. I know a lot of people in my area that have done this program and have managed to keep the weight off. I am not planning on doing this for a long amount of time, just something to kick start my weight loss.

I know 600 calories is not great for you body, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try the program since it is just 30 days of liquid. I've heard worse. Thank you for all of the great reviews/advice.

They did do blood work and an ekg, we go over those results Saturday. Again, I would like to thank each and every one of you, because your advice does help.
  • mira2602
    mira2602 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • imperfection_is_beauty
    Options
    I've never done it. What do your doctor and the program say about incorporating "normal" eating back into your diet?

They go over that during your second month on the program.