Is it better to eat more and burn more or just to eat less?

Options
2»

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    exercise is always better than no exercise.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Find a sensible exercise routine. You'll burn what you burn. Eat accordingly.
  • jjones9298
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise...always go with a clean diet!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    This calculator seems to indicate that running burns more calories per mile than walking does. http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html I believe it.

Think about it: If you run, even at your walking pace, it's more effort expended, and therefore, more calories burned.

Sorry - I know that wasn't the main question, OP - I just wanted to chime in on this point.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Eat less =weight loss (fat & muscle)

Exercising (especially if you work in some strength training) + eating those extra cals =fat loss while retaining lean body mass (including muscle) which means avoiding the "skinny fat" look, plus it's good for your cardiovascular system, helps maintain good bone density, you get to eat more, and you increase your functional strength and endurance (like carrying that new TV up the stairs or running away from the inevitable zombie apocolypse)

I know which I would choose!
  • vanderlogt17
    Options
    It's true! You burn the same amount running vs. walking per mile. If you run, you can get it done faster, though. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends, IMO. I eat 1450 calories a day and I couldn't imagine having to find another 600 healthy calories to eat. I probably burn 200-300 calories exercising every day (I'm honestly not sure how much). I want to decrease my bad cholesterol too though, so it's not just about losing weight.... so I can't eat junk to increase my calories at the end of the day.

I guess whatever works for you. I know I won't be able to exercise one hour a day indefinitely either, so I'm fine with getting used to a lighter diet at the same time. Plus as I said, I don't know how much I burn, so I want to overeat my exercise calories either.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    It's true! You burn the same amount running vs. walking per mile. If you run, you can get it done faster, though. :)

Not according to this:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    According to the MFP calculator:

Walking 3 mph I would burn 80 claories/mile (20 minutes)
    Jogging 5 mph I would burn 115 calories/mile (12 minutes)
    Running 8 mph I would burn 125 calories/mile (7.5 minutes)

Since I burn 1.45 calories per minutes just sitting on my butt doing nothing the difference between each level is
    Walking 20 minutes 80-29=51
    Jogging 12 minutes 115-17.4=97.6
    Running 7.5 minutes 125-10.87=114.13
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I exercise more to make up for my laziness in exact measurements for things.

I aim to eat a fixed 2000ish everyday regardless of exercise.

So I might get a scoop of hummus and not feel like getting an exact measurement, so it might be about 35 calories over. Or there might be an average amount of calories in a serving but it varies from portion to portion. So some days it will have more, others it will have less.

I burn 600 minimum 6 days a week with 4 days breaking 1000. While still eating at near the 2 pound deficit mark.

Might not work for others but I am happy with it so far.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My dietician says its just best to eat less.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If this is a lifestyle change it has to be something you can live with permanently, I need to exercise to be able to have a healthy sustainable diet 80% healthy 20% indulgence (whatever takes your fancy). Exercise also improves your health, fitness and makes you feel good. Choose something you know you can live with for the rest of your life ..
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 100% diet, fitness is 100% exercise. You can lose weight by eating less, you will increase fitness by moving more. Loseing weight thru diet you will look good with your clothes on, lose weight with exercise and you will look good with your clothes off.

Google the term "skinny fat". You can lose weight just by eating less but what your goals are will determine how you go about doing it.

Exercise is any movement, many discount or belittle the power of walking. You burn as many calories walking a mile as you do running a mile so don't think of walking as not exercising. It's the same, running just gets you to the same point faster.

Wrong you burn more calories running than walking!!!

nope! you burn the same amount of calories running a mile vs. walking a mile. walking just takes longer!
    Running burns more calories per minute, yes, but that's not what he's saying.
    I absolutely agree that people underestimate the power of walking! Get a pedometer and hoof it instead of taking the train/bus/elevator (love my Fitbit, by the way). Torches calories all day long. I burn more calories on days when I walk a lot than the days when I just work out really hard for an hour (which is most people's fitness routines!)

Lost 45 pounds strictly walking.I've since started intervals of running and walking plus added weights because my body wanted more of a challenge as it got in better shape.

But to answer the question,eating more is always better ( aren't we all here because we like to eat?) then not so do that exercise!:smile:
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    nope! you burn the same amount of calories running a mile vs. walking a mile. walking just takes longer!
    Running burns more calories per minute, yes, but that's not what he's saying.
    I absolutely agree that people underestimate the power of walking! Get a pedometer and hoof it instead of taking the train/bus/elevator (love my Fitbit, by the way). Torches calories all day long. I burn more calories on days when I walk a lot than the days when I just work out really hard for an hour (which is most people's fitness routines!)

nope, you burn more by running per mile as well as per minute. Your body motions are exaggerated when running and the effort to rebound and spring is greater. again old school thinking was that it was the same and admittedly its not a huge difference but you definitely burn more running than walking for the same distance covered.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0?page=single for the numbers part scroll down to a page or so to what the numbers show from the study
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    no you dont, see here http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0?page=single