• superchunk17
    superchunk17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    crank up the speed during commericals
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Murder mysteries on my ipod.

I'm pretty sure the person would still like to stay awake on the treadmill . . .
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Netflix on my Ipad
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The dreadmill sucks...I'll take outside in all but the most in-climate of weather. It takes a lot to push me indoors to the dreadmill.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I listen to audio books.

Me too!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    My wife watches TV shows on her iPad while she runs on the treadmill. She got through all of Downton Abbey via Amazon Prime and burned lord knows how many thousands of calories all at the same time.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Audio books, different music, tv ( I was watching the morning news and the Today show), I also found that the long articles in Runner's world were inspiring and would get me through a few miles.
  • 1LiFe8
    1LiFe8 Posts: 20
    Options
    do intervals. 2 minutes at 5 mph, 2 minutes at 6.5, back to 2 minutes at 5, a minute at 8, etc. try to change up your speed. make sure some of your intervals are tough so that getting through that and then going back to an easier interval will seem like a reward.

this, of course, is just an example. make sure to do intervals you can handle.

How do you log your exercise burn? Do you go by what the treadmill says or use a HRM? I use to do intervals and had no way of knowing how to log it or what I burn because I don't own a HRM or believe the treadmill. My treadmill does not take into fact my weight and height.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I listen to audio books.

Me too! It's the only way I have found that I can just zone out and run. It also worked better for me once I started running outside, as well.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I have been running on my treadmill out in my garage for the past month. (at least 3 times a week) I bring my phone or my iPad out so that i can turn on Pandora and listen to music but i still seem to get bored very easily. After about 8-10 minutes my heart rate levels out and i feel like i could run forever, but at about 15 minutes i get bored and end up only running 2.08miles/22minutes! Please someone give me some ideas so i can try to work closer to my 5k goal!

Stop after 15 - hit the weights.

this^^
  • Bouneschlupp
    Bouneschlupp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What I do to avoid boredom:
    1. Interval-training
    2. I have my Macbook in front of me and I'm watching TV-shows
    3. I listen to language-learning podcasts to get my brain working while my feet run quite automatically
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    :happy: app for your phone or ipad: Zombies, RUN!!

This will keep you from getting bored!!!! :happy:
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    stop doing slow long boring steady pace cardio and start doing hiit
  • carobert
    carobert Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I watch netflix on my phone. I just started the LOST series and only have let myself watch it while im on the treadmill =)
  • jenna762001
    jenna762001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    audio books, television, and upbeat music can all help, but for me, planned workouts (intervals, hills, ladders, etc) worked the best to beat boredom. look up treadmill workouts online and print some out. I have a very difficult time running a steady pace run on a treadmill for any length of time without beginning to wish I'd slide off the back to my doom just to end the run. What helps is going into the workout with a plan that will having me changing speeds, and elevation on a regular basis (can be up to every 30 seconds). This makes it more entertaining and my mind is a bit more actively involved keeping up with the instructions, and I tend to work a bit harder and get in a better workout.
    Good luck!
  • srlatham
    srlatham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :happy: app for your phone or ipad: Zombies, RUN!!

This will keep you from getting bored!!!! :happy:

I have the FUNNEST time using the Zombies, RUN! App. It is the perfect blend of audiobook, game and music. If you're competitive at all, it will keep you going.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    For me, music and changing the speed/incline at a set interval helps tremendously, especially the latter. I then think of the run in increments of 30 seconds or 5 minutes or whatever it is I'm doing.
  • annemariegc
    annemariegc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tv's have it! I agree it was the best invention for treadmills! Because they are ugh...boring!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I have been running on my treadmill out in my garage for the past month. (at least 3 times a week) I bring my phone or my iPad out so that i can turn on Pandora and listen to music but i still seem to get bored very easily. After about 8-10 minutes my heart rate levels out and i feel like i could run forever, but at about 15 minutes i get bored and end up only running 2.08miles/22minutes! Please someone give me some ideas so i can try to work closer to my 5k goal!

Stop after 15 - hit the weights.

QFT

Except the OP's goal is to run a 5k--which takes most people more than 15 minutes of training ;)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Change up your music regularly. I run half marathons and need about 2 1/2 hours of music, so I create specific playlists for events. I try to pick music at varying tempos to match my pace. I know a few people who listen to audio books--I can't, because I have trouble following a plot while trying to run, but it seems to work for a lot of people.