Spinners A few Questions

Options
I went to my second spinning class today (3 month gap in between the first one and the one I took today). I love the workout I can get from it but the pain in the "glutes" is PAINFUL!!!

I have heard it gets better with time but really it's so scary that it really turns me around from wanting to go.

Any suggestions some people say biker shorts and others say get a bike gel pad....what are your thoughts?

If you say biker shorts and recommendation on a brand (LOW BUDGET! =] ) and if you say a bike gel pad, where can I get one of those?

Thanks =]

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Lol,I felt exactly the same way when I began spin, the underneath of my bum hurt so much I didnt want to get back on the bike ever. Now I dont get any ache at all. I'd just tough it out,it really will get better! I didnt believe it either,but its true. :D
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    I am glad to hear that it gets better. My instructor added spinning to our last session. I work out a lot and I felt like a complete newbie and felt so out of shape. Talk about taking your work-out to a new level! I also discovered the only place on my body that I have no body fat or padding! Who knew. As I agonized through this work-out I thought what could make this better? Some of the girls wore padded shorts and said they helped tremendously. I was dreaming of bringing in a banana seat with my old high rise handlebarsd to retrofit that torture tool with the comforts of childhood memories of what biking used to be like!! I honestly fantasized all that to get through the work-out. The relief when it was over, was so great and eventually when I could walk properly I realized it might be good to overcome my new found set of issues with the stationary bike!

So if you are truthful and it does get better maybe I will give the spinning classes a go. I felt amazing after the various shocks left my body. Inside I felt like a rock star, on the outside I walked around for about 10 minutes like Keith Richards 25 years from now!

I was down a pound the next morning, it hurt to lift my leg on the scale but I was down a pound!!
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    Ok so I had to upsize the above picture on your post (Amy 1612). Very Very funny! The bun does not look that fresh though!
  • Neeti1021
    Neeti1021 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more, my butt was so sore after the first class! I used to go all the time but remember that it does go away eventually and you get used to it. Now I went on Tuesday again for the 1st time in a while and my butt was killing me. It does make me hesitate to go again but I am buying a gel seat. I know they have it at Sports Authority and Modells. Can you pick one up at either of those stores? Good luck and let me know what you think of the seat:-)
  • nikkieliivey
    nikkieliivey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It really does get better! My mom went out and bought the gel shorts and other stuff to help, but by the time she got it, she had spun enough times that it didn't really bother her anymore. You do have to go like 3x for a week before you will start to feel the relief though! I hope that helps a bit! It really does get better.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I went to my second spinning class today (3 month gap in between the first one and the one I took today). I love the workout I can get from it but the pain in the "glutes" is PAINFUL!!!

I have heard it gets better with time but really it's so scary that it really turns me around from wanting to go.

Any suggestions some people say biker shorts and others say get a bike gel pad....what are your thoughts?

If you say biker shorts and recommendation on a brand (LOW BUDGET! =] ) and if you say a bike gel pad, where can I get one of those?

Thanks =]

I love spinning!!!!!! Target has some gel seats on sale this week, around $15!! They just slide right over the bike seat. I don't have the padded shorts, I refuse to wear something that makes my butt look bigger no matter how functional it may be. :laugh:

It does get better. Just remember that you are in charge of how hard you are working. So you don't have to push as hard as they might say in class. It' *your* ride as my favorite instructor says. Have fun, spinning is a great workout and burns a lot of calories!!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a padded gel seat - Target or Walmart has them - under $20.00 well worth the investment. Spinning is fantastic, great workout! I used my padded gel seat for the first two months, now I don't need it any longer, your body does adapt, the gel seat really helped get me through those first two months. I had taken a spinning class years ago and had the same experience as you, hurt so bad i couldn't fact going back. This time I was determined to make it work and the seat did that. Good luck!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The gel seats are great, but it's true-- you will get used to the bike seat if you keep going to class! Also, remember to make sure your settings are correct...if your seat is too high, or if you're not remembering to hinge forward at the hips so that your butt hits the seat a little diagonally, that will make things more uncomfortable. Good luck! The workout is totally worth the adjustment period...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I went o my first spin class last week and I thankfully had a gel seat pad that I got at Target for $17. I have to tell you though......MY BUTT WAS STILL SORE after that first class so I can't even imagine what it would've been like without it. It's a bone bruise feeling on the ischium and not muscular sore so that was interesting.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    It really does,I didnt believe it would when I first started,haha,I went two days in a row and was almost praying for hill climbs because it meant getting out of the saddle. Its true that it doesnt seem like muscle ache,more like a bruise.
    I only joined after seeing a trainer :),before that I wasnt sure I could handle it,but now it is my absolute favourite way to work out. One word of advice about spin is....it never gets easier....because the fitter you get the harder you push/turn up the resistance,so you always feel like youve had an amazing workout :D
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I vote for gel seat. I got one at Target last week for less than $20 and used at my first spin class on Saturday. It wasn't so much my butt as my, *ahem* lady parts that were EXTREMELY unhappy. A lot of spinners have told me after 3-5 classes you get used to it. It's a great workout!
  • krex
    krex Posts: 29
    Options
    I bought the gel seat and unfortunately it did not help me. I've gone once a week for 6 wks and it is better but my butt is still sore after the class. I was doing a 1 hour class at first and then my YMCA offered a 30 minute beginners class so I started doing that. I'm still having issues and I ask my instructor all of the time how to avoid this. He went to a conference and was told that it's the way you peddle. Once you get experienced with spinning you will have better control of the peddles and the way you peddle. So for all of you new Spinners, including me, we just have to suffer!! :)
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad someone brought this topic up!! In the spring I went to 2 or 3 classes and it felt like it literally bruised my pelvic bones, I haven't been back since. Which is too bad becasue my trainer says it is an excellent cardio work-out. I guess I will start shopping around for some gel seats...frankly I cannot believe there is such a thing as padded shorts!! I'm not a cyclist - can you tell?! :ohwell:

Thanks for this topic and let us know when the pain subsides!!! :happy: