mashed potatoes

Options
Hi ya'll! Just wondering if anyone has a delicious recipe for mashed tators! Im from Texas and all I know is to add butter and milk and more butter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Im going to a fathers day bar-b-cue and I want to see if anyone notices the healthier version.

Replies

• «lindsay»
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower instead of potato
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    hubby cooks ... but we always eat cauliflower mashed potatoes. And they're good! I'm sure you can Google a recipe.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I put soya spread, soya cream, chives, salt and pepper.

I know someone who puts a raw egg in it too but I've never tried it.
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There is a butter that I've found called Smart Butter Light and it only has 50 calories per Tbsp, whereas butter has 100 calories per Tbsp. Also, Smart Butter has omega-3s and less fat. I would recommend adding that instead of butter and sticking with 1% milk. Also, add a dash of garlic powder, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper and they should be great! Also, smashed potatoes *mashed but with the skin on* are great and you get the fiber from the skins.... Have fun at the bbq!!

Maggie
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE making mashed potatoes with sour cream instead of the milk and butter. Use low fat if you dont want the regular, or even plain yogurt. I've also used cottage cheese when I didn't have milk one time. After the curds melt into the hot potatoes it's really yummy.

Have you ever made mashed cauliflower? It's a similar consistency to taters and is like next to nothing in calories.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    LOL. a buncha people entered the cauliflower as I was typing. See? It must be good! :wink:
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Add Laughing Cow cheese with the cauliflower and it taste awesome
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like using Chicken Broth instead of the milk. It gives a nice flavor. I still use butter but usually not as much because I like the chicken flavor the broth adds.
  • anderson8480
    Options
    I just saw a recipe on eatingwell.com yesterday that said to use 6 red potatoes and use a half a cup of buttermilk... and season to taste. It said it was only 90 calories per serving and very little fat.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Skip the sour cream and use Plain Greek Yogurt instead. Way less calories and way more protein, and you can't even taste the difference.
  • rmaisto
    rmaisto Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/recipes/side_dishes/marvelous_potatoes.htm

These are really good and have the creamy texture that butter usually gives because of the ff sour cream.

To me, they taste way better than using cauliflower. As others have suggested, you can sub the sour cream for greek yogurt. I do that a lot if I have the plain on hand and it works out great!

Rachel
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    hiya :flowerforyou:

I just finished this 2 seconds ago and it is absolutely devine :flowerforyou:

250g carrots
    1 medium sweet potato (red skin and orange flesh)
    50g of philadelphia with chives
    a handful of chives!

Boil the carrots and sweet potato for 25minutes until soft and easily mashed
    Mash the sweet potato and carrots and then add the philadelphia by stirring it into the mash
    Add a handful of chives and stir them in
    serve an finish with chives to decorate!

Only 62 calories per serving (the above does 3) and 2.6 grams of fat!

It is absolutely gorgeous :flowerforyou:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yum mashed potatoes! I don't really like to deny myself anything, even when I'm trying to lose weight (hey, I'm a dietitian... food is what I live for!) so I just go for a small serve, like with all of my other carb portions - ie I use 1 potato per person, boil until it's really well done so it mashes easily and mash it with 1tsp of buttery taste Flora and maybe some water if it's a bit dry
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    thanks everyone. im gonna try a little bit of each. definitely the cauliflower!
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Add Laughing Cow cheese with the cauliflower and it taste awesome

I'm tring this tonight!!!!!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You can also try adding a bit of the ranch salad dressing (powder mix) into the potatoes to give a richer flavor when cutting back on the butter/cream.

One of my favorite things to do with them is to take an entire thing of garlic and just slice off across the bottom section so most of the cloves are exposed. Drizzle with olive oil, and wrap the entire thing up and toss on the grill till soft. When soft, open your foil and with your hand wrapped around the foil/garlic, squeeze the garlic (should be very, very soft) into the potatoes and mix in. I use this with my regular recipe of milk/butter/sour cream version. But the garlic does add a nice variation and definate flavor if you are cutting out some butter or cream.
  • futballuvr73
    futballuvr73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Our fave is to boil together potatoes (diced but skin on), carrots, rutabaga and turnips in either chicken broth or veggie broth. Boil until very soft then drain very well (in the strainer for about 5 minutes works well!). Mash everything together and season with salt and pepper, then grate fresh parmesan cheese over it. After mixing together add a little milk or yogurt if needed. I like to stir in fresh chopped parsley before serving. This is INSANELY good!
  • chronosfire
    Options
    Instead of potatoes for our big meals I do a baked Butternut Squash. Super tasty, really colourful and not too bad for you either :)
  • stacithomas94
    Options
    Yeah someone mentioned cauliflower and I have made those. I did not like them. Girl you know anything that is missing the fat, They gon know !!!!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Stac-especially my people! lol and my cousins will let it be known "hey this is diet food!". hahaha oh well if they want fattening food they need to go down the road cause they all need to drop weight ALL OF THEM! MYSELF INCLUDED.