Livestrong vs MyFitness Pal Calorie Count Difference

Options
I had been using the Livestrong Daily Plate site to track my calories for the last few years. I decided to switch to MFP after after noting some of the additional features. My concern is that the two sites gave me drastically different calorie goals- as in a 400 calorie difference. Livestrong had me at 800 net calories, which I always thought was ridiculously low and never typically met it, but did usually shoot for 1000 or 1100. MFP says it should be 1200 net calories. Problem is, if you tell me I can eat 1200 calories....I WILL eat all of them, lol. I know 800 was probably too low but I feel like 400 extra calories is a big disrepancy. Does anyone know another way to calculate a good, healthy, productive calorie goal so I can figure out where it should be?

Though I am not typically a sedentary person, my baseline lifestyle is. I have no children to chase after, I have no access to public transportation so I drive everywhere, and my job requires me to sit in an office all day. I prefer to select the sedentary option because then I can build off of it by entering activities piecemeal and avoiding overestimating. I am 30, 5'2",148 pounds, and would like to aim for losing 2 pounds per week.

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I believe that MFP will not allow you to set your minimum calories to less than 1200. This is why the difference. Livestrong allowed you to set calorie intake yourself even to absurdly low levels (like sub 500 cals). MFP will give you warnings if you eat less than 1200 for the day as well.

I moved from Livestrong to MFP for the additional capabilities of the tool and cause I was tired of supporting Lance Armstrong. Discovered that the community here is a bit different.

Also, you are probably going to get bombarded in fairly short order on the topic of why you need to eat more than 1200 calories a day.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't go lower than 1200. I'm surprised that livestrong had you so low. They put me at 2400 Where MFP put my goal at 1900.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    First off, get ready for people to be mad that you aren't eating 1200 cals.
    Secondly, here is what I do/did:
    Calculated my BMR and TDEE, accurately selected my activity level, and eat 20% less than my maintenance calorie range.

I use : http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ to help me calculate the above. You can search "tdee" in the community forum to find tons of reading on this topic.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is probably a bit too aggressive a target, given your stats. It might be better to go for 1 pound a week
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No one should be eating less than 1200 without doctor supervision or a really good reason. I'm 5'2", 55 and 115 lbs and my BMR is 1100 which is what I would need to exist in a coma. I eat at least 1350 a day just to maintain without exercise. Your body will adapt to low calories by doing a metabolic slow down which is probably where you are by now. You'll need to eat more to actually be able to lose again and 2 lbs per week is way too aggressive for someone your size.
  • justkeepswimming83
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am intending NET calories, so for example today I have consumed 1500 and will plan to work out and burn about 300. Is that still too low?? I'm still struggling with weight gain and definitely not losing any. And trust me, if someone tells me I can eat MORE and lose weight, I am sooo game :). I just feel like when I consistently eat more than 1200 I am gaining weight, even with a healthy diet (lean meats, lots of veggies, lower carb) 1000 net calories was the only way I lost any weight. I do have a condition called estrogen dominance that can result in weight problems so it could be a factor. I am frustrated that I am not having any luck with losing weight so maybe increasing calories could help...
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    And trust me, if someone tells me I can eat MORE and lose weight, I am sooo game :). I just feel like when I consistently eat more than 1200 I am gaining weight, even with a healthy diet (lean meats, lots of veggies, lower carb)

You can. It's likely the lean meats that are tripping you up. You need fat to burn fat, and you need it for vitamin absorption, neurological/psychological health, digestive health, and *gasp* even to properly utilize cholesterol. Add some butter, bacon, and a nice roast to your diet, and don't fall victim to the low-fat lie.

Read this:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323393304578358681822758600.html?fb_action_ids=10200850542170242&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map={"10200850542170242":262968230505763}&action_type_map={"10200850542170242":"og.recommends"}&action_ref_map=[]

Adding fat will also help you add calories, which you do need. I default to low calorie not because I want to or think I should, but because I eat such high-nutrient foods that I actually fill my macros (and feel full!!!) when I'm still roughly 400+ cals below my target. I think it's mostly because I very rarely eat grains (maybe a few times a week, if that), and I make my calories count. Very rarely do I eat "fluffy" filler foods, and each food I eat has a purpose--including enjoyment! What will make the difference between gaining at 1200 and losing at 1600, will be WHAT you eat, not how much. [by "how much" I mean calories, not portions...]