Athletes gone wrong....

Options
2»

Replies

• mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    former basketball player who never learned to eat right dated and married a woman who can cook her butt off and my gut on lol. came to mfp lost 40 lbs hit a plateau had two small kids changed shifts at work gained it all back.. but never giving up
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I feel like Steve Troutman's pimp today, but he writes some pretty good stuff about motivation here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/545631-feminine-fat-motivation
    Motivation can be tough for some people. If you're not uncomfortable enough or dissatisfied enough, no motivation in the world is likely to carry you towards your goal. I mean, in a way, motivation is a temporary phenomenon and the motions that build and maintain a goal physique are forever. Those two variables don't exactly mesh.

In addition, if you don't believe in the possibility of attaining your goal or if it's really not as meaningful as you like to think it is... you're likely not going to attain it.

We're products of our daily choices and those choices are predicated, by and large, on the ideas of avoiding pain and gaining pleasure. What that means is, if you don't have things framed right in your mind.... if staying where you are isn't painful enough.... if missing out on the body you want isn't painful enough.... if attaining your goal isn't pleasurable enough.... and if leaving your current body in the dust isn't pleasurable enough....

Well, you're going to do a lot of wheel-spinning more than likely.
  • TheFabTam
    TheFabTam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In all honestly it maybe fear that's just getting in the way. A lot of what you all have said make sense. I've done it before. (Though before it wasn't as much work it felt like. lol) But one day at a time seems to be the only way to do it. XD I just seem to get discourage so easily.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    My husband used to be one of the best long distance runners in the province. Thirty years later (no exercise) he is running with me just to be supportive and well, he's a natural. He easily laps me on the track and beats my time by 50% in a ten km race. Once an athlete always an athlete I say.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    How do you change from athlete, to fattie, back to athlete again? Its more of a mental question instead of a physical one I suppose.

Get yourself back in that zone. Whatever it was, find it. I simply execute the same intensity as I had done back then, before I got FAT and out of control. The only difference now is, I want it for me. If I was able to make the Olympics Standard Automatic Time qualifier once, when I did not want to (attended trials to prove a point), then I can do it again, for me. Now, my times automatically qualified me for 100m Freestyle and 400m Individual Medley. Did I go? No. Why? Too much drama from the organising committee, to curtail my dad/mum from attending as my coach/manager.

Now, years later we(my sister and I) have been asked again to train for trials towards Rio 2016. Why? Her(my sister) automatic qualifying time for 100m has not been beaten to date. Our times now are still faster than the younger women 17 -up who'd like to participate for the nation. She clocked 11 sec flat on the grass and 10.87 to 10.89 on the tracks. Oh and we were both Vegans Eat Clean too then. lol. Today, we have been slowly building up towards prepping for this possibility and a previous posters comment (Mandywe)about 'her man' is true for most athletes ... "Once an athlete always an athlete." We both clock 11.00secs to 11.2 secs for 100m right now. We have yet to seriously attack any speed work etc. So our times can only improve from here towards 2016.

My suggestion is to find that 'fire' towards a purpose. If the nation had not asked us to try out and declared us as pre-qualifiers for 100m, 200m and 400m, to garner interest from prospective competitors, we would just have lost the weight for work and then settled at a normal weight suited to our active lifestyles. What is hilarious is that the fastest runners in country now, are running @12.48 secs for the 100m and 28 secs for the 200m. Too slow. My point to you is, it's NEVER TOO LATE for us to find our grooves again. Find that line that has held you back, and step over it. Youth does not necessarily mean or translate to them being better or faster than you. :) Do it for YOU!

Your best competitor is YOU. Compete with the clock or the technique, never people.

Good luck!!

ETA: Mandywe
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You have a big advantage as you were at one time fit and strong. Get into a routine and you will return to fitness quite quickly. Some of us were never in shape until relatively late in life. I only started when I was around 34 or so. I feel it's been a big handicap for strength gains, but certainly doable.

The sooner you start the better. But it's never too late.

This.

I was a gymnast and college cheerleader then wasted my 20's and the early part of my 30's. It took a long time to find a new sport I was passionate about again. I ran for a while and that helped me lose weight, but I didn't have the body or strength I wanted. Once I found Crossfit everything changed crazy fast. It is shocking how fast your body wants to return to the prime condition it was once in. You have a huge advantage. Once you find your groove and start to remember how good it felt to be on top it'll all fall into place. I wish wish wish I had started when I was 25 instead of 35. You can! Just start!
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Used to play hockey. Shattered ankle. Pins. Told me I could never skate/run long distances. I now run 5ks. Holler.

5k's?
    Run farther.
    No thanks. I get bored after running for 30+ minutes.

30+ minutes? run faster...haha just kidding, man. good for you.

in regards to the original post, i was a collegiate wrestler after being fairly successful in high school wrestling, football, and powerlifting. got done wrestling and just got back into the lifestyle of eating whatever i wanted like it was the off season and i was still training hard. i'm better now, but have developed this "never be satisfied" attitude, and just want to make myself the best that i can be. best of luck to you!
  • TheFabTam
    TheFabTam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Used to play hockey. Shattered ankle. Pins. Told me I could never skate/run long distances. I now run 5ks. Holler.

5k's?
    Run farther.

30+ minutes? run faster...haha just kidding, man. good for you.

in regards to the original post, i was a collegiate wrestler after being fairly successful in high school wrestling, football, and powerlifting. got done wrestling and just got back into the lifestyle of eating whatever i wanted like it was the off season and i was still training hard. i'm better now, but have developed this "never be satisfied" attitude, and just want to make myself the best that i can be. best of luck to you!

Never be satisfied. Sounds like a new motto. XD
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options

5k's?
    Run farther.

YOU JUST SCARED
    NO, JUST FAT.

I ran my first marathon weighing 320 pounds I was the fatest person at the race. So screw gravity! Have you tried running longer races with obsticals like the Warrior dashes or the Spartin runs?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I was once super athletic, then just fit and then I started having kids (again) or trying (again) and that just puts me in a state of well "starting over".

My husband told me today that I always bounce back quick. It's true, your body remembers. It took me 3weeks to reach half my strength potential from before. I was lazy for 11months. Not because I didn't want to workout, but because I was scared to exacerbate a really sore groin post CSEC. I got over that fear and that nagging groin pain is nonexistent. I wonder if my mind was making it hurt all along?! Weird.

Anyway, you most certainly get back into it. Be patient. You don't just stop being you. It's there. Dig deep.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there used to be a champ? Anyone else out there discouraged with their current state after knowing what your body can already do? Anyone else let past victories be excuses to let yourself go?

I was the undefeated female fighter of the year three years running in the Pacific Northwest from ages 15-18, I was the head of my tournament team and next in line to be Head Black Belt of my father's school, I was the starting prop on my high school's Rugby team for two years, and I was constantly trying to physically out do every man, woman , and child who walked through our school's doors. Then I turned 18....

Got a little too big for my britches. Thought I knew everything and rebelled against my father and decided Martial Arts wasn't for me at the moment, then school ended, so did Rugby, and eventually working out all together became less and less prominent in my day. I ballooned up to 300lbs. (I'm 5'9). I managed at two years ago to get back down to 200lbs, but over the last two years I've gained 50lbs back.

I'm 24years old now and I'm discouraged. I want to be the formed fit self I used to be. I want to be that girl all the little girls wanted to be and looked up to again. I just don't know how to go back in this state. I'm almost too afraid to go back in the ring and take my title back, because I feel like I'm not a great as I once was. How do other former athletes cope and deal with this as they are trying to turn it all around? Discuss?

How did you get to be the champion in the first place?...... You started by learning the basics... Then you kept working harder until you Learned more and got there.

You have to go back the same way. Take a beginers class in something, ANTHING... and just keep at it until you get to where you want to be.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    How do you change from athlete, to fattie, back to athlete again? Its more of a mental question instead of a physical one I suppose.

It's both, really.

You have to get that winning mind set back and apply it to both losing weight and gaining performance. The difference as an adult is now you have work, kids, and who know what else to deal with. But you also get to make your own choices and priorities, so you can make it all want to if you want it badly enough.

Last year at this time I was pretty sedentary and quite a bit heavier. Today, at 39, I'm setting new personal records.

It can be done.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

5k's?
    Run farther.
    Get faster