Black Hair Care + Exercise????

Options
2»

Replies

• Tamtamz76
    Tamtamz76 Posts: 23
    Options
    There are tons of hairstyles for natural hair. I usually wear a puff or a bun and leave it at that. Sometimes I'll twist it. Like a few other ladies have said, don't let your hair get in the way. There are way too many alternatives to let it resort to that.

Try you tube as well. That's where I learned most of my styles when I'm not wearing the usual ones. For me personally, it would be too much work to keep it pressed. It takes a little bit but just learn how to deal with it in its natural state. It makes life ssoooo much easier.

As far as products are concerned I have managed to whittle it down to three; pudding for defining curls (ecostyler, olive oil and conditioner mixed together), conditioner with some slip and I deep condition with good old cholesterol (LeKair). But I am a KISS kinda person; I try not to over complicate things. The words regimen and hair do not need to be in the same sentence!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I started an Informational Thread Today: Natural Hair Movement.... Here is what it said, hope this helps.

For all African American and Latino Women (and Men) or ALL Women interested in The Natural Hair Movement, if you want to get started/Transitioning or learn how to care for your Natural Hair, as well as styling. You are getting Healthy, bring your Natural beautiful hair along. The Natural Hair Movement is a Health Movement, as well as a self-awareness movement. You do NOT have to cut off your beautiful Natural Hair or go without style in order to get your exercise in, NOR do you have to continue to perm your hair and stay addicted to the "creamy crack". I will list some sites to get you started; Please just continue to research and learn how to care for, manipulate, grow and style your Natural Hair. There is SOOOOO much info out there.

* LadyKey Natural Hair (My Naturalista); FaceBook and she also has a website that you can get from her FB Page;

* CurlyNikki: FB, with a website on her FB Page;

* Carol's Daughter - Transitioning Movement; FB Page with website;

* YouTube: Search Natural Hair or whatever you want to know about Natural Hair...

These will get you started, then let your mind flow with the possibilities, these will lead you to others...(Best Products, Care... you name it). They are also Vlogers with MANY how to videos on YouTube!!!

Be Well, Live Well...and Bring Your Natural Hair with you!
  • mrsTravo9112
    mrsTravo9112 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is one aspect that I am struggling with also! I started 'seriously' working out in Jan & haven't had a relaxer since then.... HOWEVER, now -its time that i make a decision on what to do next.

My husband likes me to wash & go - but that's just b/c its him! & I will do it every now & again outside of the house... My hair is not of a 'good' grade, but not too aweful AND It's all mine, so it's GOOD to me. :wink: I guess that I've been turned off of going totally natural b/c of the 'un-combed' or 'un-manicured' look of hair on some ppl :noway: ... a headband or bow, don't make it right! (lol):blushing:

Even before now, I do the majority of my maintaince for my hair at home, except for a deep conditioner or trim every 2-3 months ~ which I'm now overdue on... :explode:

There has to be more options. I don't want to cut it all off... but I'm going to have to come up with something... Maybe a twist-set & experiment with a few products to assist with any curls that may want to stay for a day or so. In order to avoid blowing it out everyday & then flat-ironing (even with a protectant) I usually just pin it up & put on a headband for work - Which, doesn't make it right either! (LOL) :indifferent:

I think we all just want to be BOTH FIT & FLY! :flowerforyou:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    In the summer I go natural, conditioner and shea butter are my friends. In the winter, I go straight. I used to wash once a week, but now I use a really good conditioner, allow my hair to air dry for an hour or two, then blow dry. During the week, after I workout, I put a little bit of shea butter and blow dry my hair straight. In the morning I bump the ends with a flat iron. I started taking biotin which as really helped strenghthen and thicken my hair normally thin hair.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    So I've finally dedicated myself to becoming healthier... However, I don't know what to do about my hair!! I do not perm it, but I usually keep a nice press and flat iron. Obviously, with all the SWEATING it is impossible to keep my hair looking good and healthy.

Any advice? My hair is naturally curly.. but not the cute curly.. its not all that thick and some parts seem to be extra frizzy while others are semi-straight. It's weird. But I've been looking crazy!!

Help!!
    http://twistedsista.com/ "twisted sista" it works for both my thin naturally curly hair and my daughters thick natural curly hair .... but only of use if you want your hair curly, the frizz is no more .... no idea about products for straightening hair as I like mine curly :)
  • Dionne132
    Dionne132 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have a perm and the cutest style for me is a braid out/twist out. I had braids for a few months and it was great, very low maintence. Check out youtube for natural hair inspiration:)