What are some penalties/rewards you use for motivation?

Options
My boyfriend and I are looking for some solid rewards and penalties to help us stick with our goals, and were wondering what some of you use as motivation to keep on track.

Replies

• BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There was a study done that said people that are faced with the risk of losing money for failing to reach weight loss goals in a time frame lost/performed better on average 4x as much as those without that risk. Even if it's a small amount!
  • jessdani_333
    Options
    Really? That's interesting.
  • favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    We do more rewards for completing workout routines than goal weights because, well, that can sometimes have a demotivational effect. After all, we figure if we keep moving and eating right the weight will come off even if there's a small plateau. After we reach each goal, we discuss the next goal to give us a good kick in the pants. (Reviewing some before/after pics always helps, too.)

We figured food was a bad reward because that's probably how we got fat to begin with. We save up to be able to spend money on these rewards, or we use Christmas/birthday money to not totally break the bank. But we are excited that we're EARNING these things. My husband's office manager finds that betting money is motivational for her because she HATES to lose (and lose money, like BldHny2002 mentioned.)

Examples:
    Finishing P90X: hubby got a custom golf club, and I got a day at the spa (90min massage+wrap+facial)
    Finishing P90X (the second time): new cute workout clothes
    Finishing Insanity: some new cute spring/summer clothes because our closets are barren... nothing fits anymore!
    Getting to my goal weight some day: I'm totally trying out for Wipeout so I can kick some butt and win some $$$!
  • beets_yum
    beets_yum Posts: 36
    Options
    In the past I've done things that are sort of in my budget (if I cut elsewhere) but are splurges and things I feel guilty buying. I will rationalize these by saving in other areas (like not having my daily latte/croissant):

-fit for a nice bra (I'm a bra snob so this was my big deal gift for myself last time I did this after my first kid--)
    -nice face cream
    -new pair of jeans, etc.

Or I will do things that are "diet" related:

-food scale
    -new hrm (my current goal prize)

I have read that about the money in many places. The problem for me is where is this money coming from or going to? My husband and I share money--and I do the budget--so not like I'm going to pay him. Maybe I'd have to buy him something if I didn't meet a goal? If we had separate money and were losing weight together I could definitely see some kind of prize pot based on percentage loss being fun and helpful.
  • jessdani_333
    Options
    Thanks you guys! These are some really good suggestions! I appreciate your input.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Neither...just the sense of feeling good about myself and my body is enough reward. The scales moving, becoming healthy, fit and strong is what it's all about. Shopping is always fun! Reward yourselves with a new article of clothing.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    for my first 10 lost, I treated my self to a beautiful serving piece - tong style - ok, may sound kind of dorky, but I have really been wanting some serving "tongs" and found some recently at the opening of a new store in the area - matches some of my dishes - port marion.

for the next 10 (7 more to go) I am planning on buying a great stretchy head band that I saw quite some time ago, and was reminded of it today while in the store.

I have clothes that I will be getting back in to, so at this time I don't feel that clothing is a motivator, but at some time I definitely will get some new duds!
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    My reward are carbs.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    bi-monthly massages are my reward!!
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This may have been said, or similar, but...

If I skip a workout, I have to do double the next chance I get. also, if I eat something off plan, like a cookie or birthday cake, or whatever, there is an added workout penalty such as 20 extra burpies, or an extra mile run. This alows me to not feel completely deprived, but also reinforces that those goodies come with a price. You cannot eat junkfood without paying for it (added fat on your body, or added workout, either way it is a cost)

Hope that helps.:)
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have read that about the money in many places. The problem for me is where is this money coming from or going to? My husband and I share money--and I do the budget--so not like I'm going to pay him. Maybe I'd have to buy him something if I didn't meet a goal? If we had separate money and were losing weight together I could definitely see some kind of prize pot based on percentage loss being fun and helpful.

You could reward yourselves by putting money in a jar. Make a goal, like a vacation or something you both want for the house or whatever. If you lose a pound, or workout for an hour (or whatever you want to reward) you put a dollar in the jar. If you skip a workout or gain a pound you take a dollar out. Each of you are accountable for your own dollars, so if you lose, but your husband gains, he has to take a dollar out but you put one in. This way, if you are the one taking the dollar out you get a bit of guilt for slowing the progress to your goal. (make sense?)

Hope that helps. :)
  • raennarochell7
    Options
    I saw a cool idea on Pinterest! Every day you exercise put a $1 into a jar. At the end of the month use that money to reward yourself to something fun like a movie, pedicure, new shirt, etc.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I believe in rewards. I need something to look forward to even if, God willing, I reach my goal there will continue to be rewards. I cant do the penalty thing I dont see this as a punishment I see this as learning about myself and facing my demons which has to be done with love and patience.

Oh, and shiny new things!!
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a back to basics 12 week fitness programme, and it really hurts and is quite tedious. Once this is finished I will use it to keep myself motivated not to slip back and have to do it all over again!
  • mellypeters09
    mellypeters09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You could always try using something you like and he doesn't and vise versa for rewards and punishments. For example:

I love chick flicks and my husband hates them. If he doesn't work out, then I get to pick out a chick flick for both of us to watch.

If I don't exercise, I am stuck watching him play video games because I don't like watching him play.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You could always try using something you like and he doesn't and vise versa for rewards and punishments. For example:

I love chick flicks and my husband hates them. If he doesn't work out, then I get to pick out a chick flick for both of us to watch.

If I don't exercise, I am stuck watching him play video games because I don't like watching him play.

Love this!
  • AmazingRed
    AmazingRed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I reward myself daily, maybe that sounds a little ridiculous, but everyday is a challenge for me. If I get my workout in I get television time. An hour of whatever I want to watch. If I don't work out then I'm forced to do other things around my house like clean ... eep! It seems to be helping for me. Oh! and I never limit what a workout is. Sometimes it's running a few miles, other days it's just twenty minutes of yoga.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    anything not involving fruit, veggies, and protein!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    There was a study done that said people that are faced with the risk of losing money for failing to reach weight loss goals in a time frame lost/performed better on average 4x as much as those without that risk. Even if it's a small amount!

Oh in that case, I'd need to put IOU's in a jar... :ohwell:
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    If I loose weight, I get to have a tattoo done that week (Assuming I have a design picked and desire to get one)

If I gain weight, no tattoos the rest of the month (Which sucks considering how much I love getting tattoos)