Need to hear from former bingers/food addicts

Options
Ok, for starters I probably used the wrong term in the title because I don't know exactly the definition of "a binger" or what makes someone a food addict.

All I know is as much as seeing the pictures of success many have had with losing weight, I really need to hear about how people have changed their mindset.

Currently I can (and do) consume up to a litre of ice cream a day, or I'll chow down half a box of chocolate cookies easily. I realize how much of a problem this is, and I'm scared of what the sugar and fat will do to my insides in the near and far future. Not even referring to just my pant size, but my mental and cardiovascular health.

I would love for people to tell me how did they change from living to eat to eating to live. It's been over a month now and I'm tired of this reckless eating.

Replies

• CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to read this post and not comment.
    At least you are not in denial and are ready to change.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am soooo ready for a long-term change...
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Well your in the right place. First of all, don't buy the foods that you find so easy to binge on. Secondly, get a good work out in and when you reach for these foods, remember the pain and sweat of that work out and ask yourself 'is it really worth it'. Don't fall into the trap of telling yourself you deserve it becuase you had such a good work out.
    If you feel like binging, brush your teeth or go for a walk or do anything contructive to take your mind off your craving.
    Are you working out? If so, what do you do?
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Therapy was really helpful for me. My therapist taught me that it was never about the food. I was eating to fill something in my heart that was never going to be filled with ice cream. I highly recommend talking with someone. They can help you develop new coping mechanisms and get to the root of why you binge. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    Are you working out? If so, what do you do?

I love to run. Ideally I'll run five days a week for about an hour. Also I do some circuit training (Jillian Michael type)

Maybe when school calms down and I get back to running I'll be in better spirits. Doesn't exercise and food/eating/sugar release serotonin making you feel satisfied?
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    Therapy was really helpful for me. My therapist taught me that it was never about the food. I was eating to fill something in my heart that was never going to be filled with ice cream. I highly recommend talking with someone. They can help you develop new coping mechanisms and get to the root of why you binge. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Thank you. Maybe I'll try the counselor at my uni
  • blbower2
    blbower2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to do that a lot, mainly late at night after I moved away from my family for the first time. I used food to comfort me; I felt like I had no one arond to talk to, but ice cream, cookies, and rich casseroles were always there for me. Like the poster above me, I also highly recommend talking with someone. If you're a writer, I recommend doing just that--write it all down, get it out, then read back over it and really be honest with yourself. This was the most helpful thing to me; I tracked my calories and exercise, and also kept a journal of how I was feeling. You really have to get to the root of WHY you are eating in order to change it...once you figure that out, the rest falls into place.
  • luvmynook
    luvmynook Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been known to binge eat..................I make sure not to have the food that I would Binge on and I too brush/floss my teeth as soon as I'm done eating dinner as a way of preventing a binge in the evening.

For me personally, I can't just have one piece of candy.....................so I don't start eating it at all. One piece leads to 2 and so on!

Find something else that you enjoy doing and do that when you feel like binging...........I grab my nook and start walking on my treadmill as a leisurely pace.
  • emsthethininme
    emsthethininme Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with this so much... what worked for me was, I started measuring what I ate really carefully. Like I would see that a serving of ice cream is 1/2 a cup, so I'd measure out 1/2 a cup, log it here, and eat that. Then if I wanted more, I could have it, but I had to measure it and log it. 99% of the time, that extra second it took to decide to go get the measuring cup and open my food diary back up was the second I needed to remember that I didn't really need seconds. I figured the 1% that it was worth it got balanced out.

I think just log your snacks *before* you eat them so you can see how many calories it has... then enjoy the portion you have. I always get into trouble when I eat first and then log... I always eat so much more than I would have if I'd logged first!

I don't know if that will work for anyone else... it just so happened that I started really enjoying the whole process. It's like a game to me. I suppose my food obsession shifted into a calorie-counting obsession a little bit, but it feels a lot better.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Buy smaller portions, and prelog your food for the day. This has been very effective for me.

If I NEED ice cream, I can go buy either a pint or a single serve portion. I stick it in the freezer, and cheer myself on for putting it away. Then I log it first thing in the morning, planning the rest of my food around it. High carb and fat, so I get a chicken breast instead of coconut peanut butter sandwich for lunch.

I have a Snickers egg in my desk that I look at several times a day, just so I can cheer myself for not eating it. One morning, I will log it and see if I can hold off until after dinner. No problem if I give in early- I allowed for it- but YAY me if I can wait.

Basically, I make a game of it where I am always the winner.

If I go full out binge, I work out extra hard the next week, maybe let my net calories dip into the 1100s for a few days, and balance it out over a week. You can't work off a binge in a day, but you can always salvage the week.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    For me personally, I can't just have one piece of candy.....................so I don't start eating it at all. One piece leads to 2 and so on!

This is just how I am. I can't seem to eat anything in moderation (mostly referring to sweets or crunchy salts).

What do you think about cutting out extra sugar entirely? Would attempting to go cold turkey just be a major mistake and cause me to go radically downhill do you think?
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used to love to eat giant portions. I knew that I was full but I kept eating anyway and dealt with the consequences later. What worked for me was just trying to get under my calorie goal every day. I started out eating around 1520 calories. This was not easy. It definitely showed me that I needed to cut out calorie dense junk food and find something that would keep me full. In the beginning it was a struggle to stay under my goal because I was so used to eating enormous amounts.

But then my stomach shrank! I got used to eating a reasonable amount of food and now I get full much faster. The exercise and specific health foods came later. For me the added calories that I get to eat after working out is a great motivator.

It seems like you have gotten the first step down.. admitting you have a problem haha. So now just try your hardest and focus on calorie goals. You will learn what foods and what schedule works for you. Don't keep junk food in the house. And keep busy so you're not sitting around snacking all day.

Best of luck!
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    I used to struggle with this so much... what worked for me was, I started measuring what I ate really carefully. Like I would see that a serving of ice cream is 1/2 a cup, so I'd measure out 1/2 a cup, log it here, and eat that. Then if I wanted more, I could have it, but I had to measure it and log it. 99% of the time, that extra second it took to decide to go get the measuring cup and open my food diary back up was the second I needed to remember that I didn't really need seconds. I figured the 1% that it was worth it got balanced out.

I think just log your snacks *before* you eat them so you can see how many calories it has... then enjoy the portion you have. I always get into trouble when I eat first and then log... I always eat so much more than I would have if I'd logged first!

I don't know if that will work for anyone else... it just so happened that I started really enjoying the whole process. It's like a game to me. I suppose my food obsession shifted into a calorie-counting obsession a little bit, but it feels a lot better.

Thank you for the ideas! It is so so nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. I don't know if its severity but it seems much more possible to overcome whatever it is knowing I'm not alone.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice too. {I was really hoping this post wouldn't get lost because I really needed your kind words}
  • Turtlesallthewaydown
    Turtlesallthewaydown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I still do occasionally eat more than I want to so my advice is really not a cure.

I stopped buying the foods I would binge on. For awhile I had to keep nothing but fruit and veg and lean meat on hand. I still only buy a bag of chips or cookies on days when I know they are going to be consumed in one sitting and I try to be at peace with that and get back on track the next day. Accepting and forgiving the rare binge eating episode makes it easier to get over and avoid. The episodes are fewer and far in between when I accept and forgive versus when I would rant and rave against myself.

I would force myself to do other things when the need to binge would strike. If this means doing the bathroom grout with a toothbrush then that is what I would throw my focus at until the need to stuff myself would pass.

I keep a 'fat' picture on the fridge and look at it before I take second or third helpings of something.

Drink several glasses of water and then go to sleep. This is good for late night binge urges because my stomach feels full before I go to sleep.

I also saw a doctor and found out my thyroid was not working. I would excuse my eating because I thought "No amount of hard work takes the weight off, so who cares what I eat?" but now I know with medicine and hard work (theoretically) I can lose weight it is just very, very difficult.

I had little to no food at times when I was a child so I feel like binging was my way of trying to negate the food anxiety I used to suffer from. I was always scared about where my next meal would come from so when I got into foster care and got fed regularly, I overate. I went from a very thin, skeletal child to a very plump child quickly. No one was kind about this transformation. I started extreme food restriction in my early teens to alleviate the pressure that gaining weight had put on me.
    Then I slipped back to overeating in my 20's when I couldn't keep up with restricting anymore.

To this day I have to have a full fridge and pantry or I get very anxious. Going to the grocery store and loading up a cart makes me feel amazing because I can provide. No one in my house goes hungry and that makes me feel successful. Spending money on food gives me a sense of being a good person and eating the food gives me more comfort so binging is really a coping mechanism I grasped when no other help was available. Unfortunately it became more harm than solution. I still have all those terrible feelings and want to smother them with food. I'm trying not to and more and more I'm succeeding.

Food issues are awfully complex so I hope I gave you a new perspective. Everyone who binges does it to fill some kind of need and not everyone's reason will be the same. Not everyone will know why they do it, but figuring out why you do helps you overcome it. Spend some time with your feelings and see what you come up with.
  • luvmynook
    luvmynook Posts: 61 Member
    Options

This is just how I am. I can't seem to eat anything in moderation (mostly referring to sweets or crunchy salts).

What do you think about cutting out extra sugar entirely? Would attempting to go cold turkey just be a major mistake and cause me to go radically downhill do you think?

I try to avoid all sweets since moderation is almost impossible for me.................it actually makes my life much easier if I stay clear of my trigger foods!

The first few day's will be hard, but it gets easier every day. Before long you won't even think about it!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I can say that I am not tortally over binge eating, but it is getting fewer and farther between having a major binge day. Over the last year I really took a deep look at the pattern behind the binges and noticed two things-If I do not eat enough protein and feel like I am starving that will lead to a binge(I eat protein at 5 small meals a day now) and if I am stressed and turn to good ole favorites that contain wheat or are highly processed, it is all downhill from there(Ritz, brownies, honey bunches of oats are all major trigger foods for me). Not sure why certain foods set me off, but they ALWAYS do.....brownies.

Going cold turkey on sugar can 100% backfire because if you take away all that your body has been accustomed to at once, after a while the cravings will get horrendous......at least that is what happened to me.

The major things that helped me to get the binging under control was to break "habits of eating" which led to binging late at night and to really remind myself how much working out it takes to burn off food by adding it up along the way during a binge. Keeping stress low and not depriving yourself, but finding suitable low calorie alternatives should help.

Good luck and best wishes!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've got something less obvious, that has really worked for me.

I didn't binge so much as i just compulsively overate... very large portions of everything, and constant grazing throughout the day. I was NEVER satisfied. No matter how much I ate, even when my stomach was full i was never satisfied. I am sure part of it was boredom and emotional eating, but I swear I was actually HUNGRY.

For ME, a big part of the solution was making sure I was getting the nutrition I needed from my food. Protein is obvious we all know that one. Carbs and fat? lol yeah no problem there. but what about all the vitamins and minerals that you get from eating a variety of fruits and veggies? I ate veggies before sure, but mostly the same few basics (peas, corn, potatoes, the occasional salad). When I realized that different types of veggies have different nutrients I started mixing it up, eating tons of different veggies and I found my appetite became much more manageable. Some of it probably has to do also, with the volume of veggies one can consume for very little calories, so I get to have that full belly feeling, but now, I actually feel satiated after meals. I'm not wondering what's for desert before I've even finished preparing dinner.

I feel very strongly that I experience less hunger now because my body is no longer craving those missing nutrients. I mistakenly thought I was craving ice cream when really I needed more cauliflower lol.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options

I keep a 'fat' picture on the fridge and look at it before I take second or third helpings of something.

Drink several glasses of water and then go to sleep. This is good for late night binge urges because my stomach feels full before I go to sleep.

Food issues are awfully complex so I hope I gave you a new perspective. Everyone who binges does it to fill some kind of need and not everyone's reason will be the same. Not everyone will know why they do it, but figuring out why you do helps you overcome it. Spend some time with your feelings and see what you come up with.

Great advice. I think I should take several hours to do some deep thinking and organize my life.
    :smile:
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    What has really worked for me is intermittent fasting. It's not for everyone, but you might look into it.
  • moonbutt
    moonbutt Posts: 9
    Options
    there are 12 step recover programs for food addiction. for me, i have had to continue to accept that i can't eat "trigger foods"
    refined sugars and flours and reduce my fruits and certain carbs.
    along with this on a daily basis i ask God to help me