How do I unfroth my smoothies?

Options
Who doesn't like a good smoothie? Tonight's dinner was a smoothie with protein powder, ice cubes, strawberries, kale, and vanilla Greek yogurt. But anytime I make a smoothie with dairy, it turns into an airy, frothy mess! Are there any tricks to avoid this, or maybe mixing directions I'm missing? I had to dispose of my first attempt tonight because it grew so much in the blender!

For clarifications sake, I use a ninja blender, and it only has a pulse/hold down to mix option...

Replies

• loriband
    loriband Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The only time mine seem to get frothy is if I blend to long. I have also found that when I use banana it eats creamier then when I've used yogurt. I use 8 oz of light almond milk
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk or flax milk (both are easier to digest & MUCH lower fat & cals than regular milk). I also have the Ninja pulse blend: I found that if I pulse a couple times & hold it for about 10 seconds, then repeat, there in minimal "froth". Also, play around with the order you put your ingredients in & do a 50/50 mix between milk & water. Works well for me & Hubz :smile:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A small amount of coconut oil will squash the froth.
  • mssunshine_7
    mssunshine_7 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use a Ninja to make my smoothies at home and another blender at work. My blender at work is smaller and my smoothies turn out more like a milk shake. When I use the Ninja my smoothies are not as thick. I also suggest using the smallest container that came with the Ninja system. If you're using the medium or large container and making a smoothie for one it turns out a lot thinner. I make my smoothies using body by vi powder, some flax seed, banana, strawberries or pineapple, ice cubes, and either skim or light soy milk.