Eating back your exercise calories without heart monitor?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Title says it all. I have no idea how much I burn from exercising. I'm thinking of taking Zumba classes but I can't imagine using a heart monitor there, unless there's such thing as an accurate one that isn't obvious to wear...

How do you do it?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A HRM is just an elastic strap around your chest and a watch. Not really an eye catcher.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Polar HRMs are pretty affordable and I never notice mine. Sometimes I'll even forget it's there and wear it the entire drive home from the gym and not notice it until I'm ready to shower. I would recommend investing in one. That would save you a lot of stress over calorie consumption.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    For several months between joining MFP and getting my heart rate monitor, I just went with what the MFP database said. I lost weight at pretty much the rate predicted by MFP. When I got my HRM, I found that if anything, MFP slightly underestimated my calorie burn (at least compared to my HRM estimate). I'd say go with what MFP says, or eat 75% of that number, or whatever... do it for a few weeks and see if you lose at the rate you expect. If not, adjust.

As for wearing it for zumba - mine is not obvious at all, just looks like a digital watch. The chest strap is not noticeable.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Title says it all. I have no idea how much I burn from exercising. I'm thinking of taking Zumba classes but I can't imagine using a heart monitor there, unless there's such thing as an accurate one that isn't obvious to wear...

How do you do it?

The chest-strap will be under your top, it won't be noticed or seen by anybody. The watch will look just like a normal watch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok I ordered one. That losing weight thing is starting to cost a lot of money!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight without a HRM. I went from 312 to 175/185. I did buy one and it didn't work right...so I didn't get another. I figured that I lost all of that without one...why do I need one to maintain?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    A HRM is just an elastic strap around your chest and a watch. There's no reason on this earth you can't figure out how to eat just because you don't have one

fixed
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It costing a lot of money is choice you're making on your own. I lost my weight for free.
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love my harm. Mi e is a watch with a sensor on the back...no chest strap. I also do zumba and burn a ton of calories. Didn't realize I burned that many calories until I got my hfm. Well worth the investment.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

It costing a lot of money is choice you're making on your own. I lost my weight for free.

My HRM actually MADE me money - I managed to sell it back on eBay for a bit more than I bought it for!

Seriously, lots of folks on here say they didn't realise how many calories they burned until they go an HRM - and that was an early downfall because I trusted the HRM and actually started putting back fat weight because even the more expensive ones that take into account your personal settings are wildy inaccurate.

Waste of money and unreliable.

Better to watch the scales and the tape measure and adjust eating accordingly.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I never used one. I ate ALL of my calories including exercise calories. I lost weight. And now I am basically maintaining. It's all an estimate no matter what. Keep it simple.
  • glaecia
    glaecia Posts: 4
    Options
    I like the tracking and accountability of a HRM. I have a polar FT80 and I don't do ANY exercise without it. The problem with MFP is that if you're not doing something on a machine at the gym or running/walking, it's hard to find the activities. And it doesn't have activity for strength training at all. Nope, for the money (and peace of mind), I prefer using a HRM. When I track exercises each day I just create an exercise called "Polar Workout" and enter in the calories. No muss no fuss. Make sure you get one that tracks calories!