Has anyone tried 5-HTP?

Options
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has tried 5-HTP, it was a thing on Dr. Oz, and it's like something that is used as a mood-enhancer/appetite suppressant. I was just curious if anyone had tried it and if you have, what kind of experience have you had with it?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Interested in this also. I did not learn of it from Dr Oz, no interest in him at all. I became aware of it from a post on here, I believe. I was hoping it would help with sleeping issues so I can come off my sleeping pills, and also with binge eating issues, but thus far, I have not dared try the supply I bought in case of side effects.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I take it everyday. I never knew it was supposed to be an "appetite suppressant", I take it because I needed help managing anxiety and stress. I have taken it since November and have not had any change in my appetite at all, although after about a month my moods were a lot better and anxiety was a lot easier to manage.

Also, I would take anything Dr. Oz says with a grain of salt. He is promoting these products because he is getting paid for it.

My overall opinion about it though it that it is wonderful for your mood. I didn't start losing weight until I logged back onto MFP in January.

Edit: It does make me go to sleep faster if I take it at night, but most days I only take it once in the morning. It does not make me tired when I take it in the morning.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    for mood yes I think it is - as an appetite supressant, I'm not sure.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I saw that stuff on groupon.
  • Cinnabon64
    Options
    I take it in place of an antidepressant. I have fibromyalgia and have so many meds it seems that I wanted to get off some and the AD was the first I've gotten off. Do not take 5-HTP If you are on AD's as you can get serotonin syndrome. I also take GABA which is supposed to help with sleep. I take both at bed time. I've never heard of it suppressing the appetite. I know chromium is supposed to help regulate blood sugar levels and control the appetite, specifically carbs.