Benefits of yoga? Is it worth it?

Options
I was thinking of doing centergy once a week (I think it's the les mills body balance equivalent)

I was just wondering if it's really worth it. I've done body balance before and quite frankly, it just felt like a waste of time. I barely raised my heart rate at all.

I'm interested in knowing if yoga actually helps release anxiety and stress etc and what it can do for the mind. Gaining flexibility would be an added bonus too as I wouldn't mind being flexible!

Is anyone here a yogo fanatic?

Replies

• leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I was thinking of doing centergy once a week (I think it's the les mills body balance equivalent)

I was just wondering if it's really worth it. I've done body balance before and quite frankly, it just felt like a waste of time. I barely raised my heart rate at all.

I'm interested in knowing if yoga actually helps release anxiety and stress etc and what it can do for the mind. Gaining flexibility would be an added bonus too as I wouldn't mind being flexible!

Is anyone here a yogo fanatic?

I have never really gotten my heart rate going but if you hold the stress positions correctly you gain a ton a stability and core strength. It certainly doesn't hurt.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga. I always keep it as part of my fitness routine. I actually break a sweat but I take classes at the gym. Dont know what centergy is. It depends on the focus of the class I guess. I also love it for the functional strength it helps build. It can actually make you sore in muscles that you dont normally use when you use them to stabilize your body. And then there is the flexibility. I personally think everyone should have yoga as part of their lifestyle to help with flexibility as we get older. If you start young you can fend off a lot of problems with joins and back issues by maintaining flexibility
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Of course it will help release anxiety and stress..it gives you a sense of accomplishment and peace. It also gives you physical benefits like flexibility, strength, and balance. Im not a yoga fanatic but I do yoga once or twice a week and it honestly probably the most important workout that I do. As for the not raising your heart rate- look up flow and power yoga. Your heart rate will be raiseed and youll sweat and burn calories. Do it
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    it healed my back spasm.
    improved my basketball game
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I swear by it! Every morning I go into meditation. The 1st 20 min of my day is spent in peace and I might add Im one of the serenest people I know.
    There are DVD's you can purchase if you'd feel more comfy doing it in private, but an instructor will be able to better guide your form and motivate you into technical breathing, which really is the Foundation for Yoga.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    yoga is GREAT FOR YOU... i do it sometimes (basically when my body is acting up and i have aches and pains)... but is it worth it to get am expensive membership to some fancy yoga gym over a regular weightlifting gym... fauk no
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge yoga fan. I have been able to stretch better, run more, have better balance, and so much more - because of yoga. It's very refreshing, and a great addition to my weekly routine.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I don't love it, but it's growing on me. It certainly helps with aches and pains. Flexibility, core strength, balance...all important aspects of fitness incorporated in yoga. One or two sessions a week is enough, IMO.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great and has a good place either as a stand alone program or as part of a mix. I would really like to get back to one session a week.

Great d'or flexibility, tension and balance. Reasonably good fr body strength.