Ok, now I'm confused!

Options
Hi all, I have a question and need to take a poll.
Minute Rice= long grain white rice.
it reads on the box like this: 1/2 cup(44g)*=160 cals, this is before preparation
when you find the astrick it reads *1/2 cup makes 1 cup of rice.
So am I to double the amount of cals when its prepared?
or is it 160 cals for the prepared 1 cup of rice or 320 cals
Help! I did not eat any of the rice...because I was confused.
:O)

Replies

• snowangel1975
    Options
    lol, I sound like a dummy.....LMAO
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup(44g)*=160 cals is correct. The side note about 1/2 cup dry rice making 1 cup cooked rice is just letting you know how much it yields after being cooked with water since it makes rice expand. It's the "same" serving size as far as nutrition is concerned. Same concept as 3 tbsp of unpopped popcorn making 7.5 cups of popped popcorn; same nutritional value, different physical form.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    You don't sound dumb at all! I had to think through this, too, with condensed soup. When the rice is dry, its smaller, so it will only take up 1/2 cup. Once it is cooked, it puffs up to 1 cup. It will still have the same calories as when it was uncooked. Hope this helps!! And good luck to you on your goal... 1,000 dollar shopping spree! YOU GO GIRL!
  • snowangel1975
    Options
    yeh!!! I can eat rice again!!!!
  • lovebrittnie
    Options
    what i'm getting is that it is to remain 160cals for the cup of prepared rice.
  • theartsymom
    Options
    I would have been a bit confused by this too. :) Don't worry about it!!
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    LOL thanks for the giggle! I am glad I am not the only one that gets confused on some labels...popcorn gets me every time!