Need Help with Vegetables

Options
Hi all my name is Andrew. I am 29 years old, a friend of mine just started helping me a few weeks back and gave me ideas for workouts. I also got introduced a little to meal planning but only the basics. I j Things like I want to eat 5 small meals a day and stay under a certain calorie goal. I was reading that along with 5 small meals I want to eat a vegetable with each meal. I just found out about myfitnesspal the other day. Here comes my question and it pretty basic what if any food qualify in this category. The only few vegetables I know of are carrots and celery. I have been taking a multivitamin supplement each and every day. But still would like to get a few more real vegetables in my diet each day.

My normal vegetables intake consist of maybe a stalk or 2 of celery, and serving or two of baby carrots with a serving of say lite ranch dressing to dip the carrots in.On my lifting days(3 days a week) it consists of 2 stalks of celery, 1 in my home made tuna salad, and 1 later on in the day by itself, along with say some scrambled eggs(3-4) or a chicken thigh.

Any help on not only what vegetables to eat, but some recipes for adding them into a meal is greatly appreciated

Replies

• RhiannonLeighh
    RhiannonLeighh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    - Mashed potato: Use sweet potato and normal potato, and add a little crushed garlic. Yum!
    - Roasted veggies are easy and tasty : Try roasting carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, squash, eggplant, corn, onion, garlic, and capsicum. Use rosemary, parsley, garlic flakes, cracked pepper, any herb you like to flavour and drizzle sparingly with olive oil. Whack 'em in the oven and BAM! A delicious, easy and healthy dinner.
    - My favourite salad: baby spinach, red onion, cherry tomatoes, carrot, cucumber, avocado. It's simple and is good for you. Try replacing lettuce with spinach goodness (and taste IMO), and sprinkle with sunflower seeds and pepitas for crunch and nutrients. Make your own dressing, or use balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar for taste without the fat and preservatives that come with store bought dressings.
    - Bolognese: 600g lean mince, 1 diced onion, 1 diced capsicum, 1 grated carrot, 3/4 cup peas, 1-2 tsp crushed garlic, 1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms, 1 tub of tomato paste, 1 bottle of your favorite pasta sauce (I like dolmio's garlic and red wine), 1 tin of crushed tomatoes (If needed). Cook mince, onion, and garlic. Add other veges. When slightly softened, add pasta sauce and tomato paste. If needed add crushed tomatoes. Stir and simmer with lid on until veges are soft and it smells delicious. Serve with wholemeal pasta and a little parmesan. You won't even know your eating that many veges!
    - Vege bake: Use the same recipe you would for potato bake, just add sweet potato, eggplant, zucchini etc.
  • RhiannonLeighh
    RhiannonLeighh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind most root veges are pretty starchy, so they're good to have before a work out.
    Another sneaky vege thing is also grate zucchini, carrot or cucumber into almost anything that needs to me mixed or ground; quiche, mince, rissoles, omelettes..
    Sorry if some of the previous tips aren't directly relevant, I copied and pasted it from one of my other answers for a similar question.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You can grill or steam veggies with a little vegetable seasoning and they are are yummy. I like squash (yellow and green), bell peppers, serrano peppers, green beans (french cut)...

You can add them as a side to any dish, lite on calories, taste a heck of a lot better than crappy baby carrots and celery.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    celery, carrots, tomato, yellow squash, pan squash, lettuce, Irish potatoes, new potatoes, sweet potatoes, okra, rutabagas, corn, turnips, mustard greens, green beans, pinto beans, red beans, navy beans, rice (brown is better than white), red beans, hominey, cream corn, onion, and a variety of peppers, etc.

Fruits are good too.. (yes, I know technically tomato is a fruit)... apples, oranges, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, lemons, grapefruit, etc... Just about anything that is edible that comes from a plant source

I'm sure I have forgotten several key ones.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you would like a list of veggies check out my diary. Just scroll back and you'll see all kinds of stuff. I can email you recipes.

I really love roasted beets, with onions, carrots and brussel sprouts, just stick in the oven with a little olive oil drizzled on it and a sprinkle of feta about 5 mintues before it's done (done when beet are soft in the middle). Sautee the beet greens with garlic and onion and celery and any other veggie you like. sprinkle with feta. beets are surprisingly sweet when roasted.

I like to sautee garlic and onion and celery, add 1 lb kale and 1/2 veggie stock or water cook until liquid is gone sprinkle with pepper and red wine vinegar

Sweet potato chips (slice them thin spray lightly with oil of choice bake until crispy) dipped in guacamole (avocado mashed with tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime, pepper and whatever else you like in guac)

Turnip fries, (slice turnips into fry shapes.. spray lightly with oil and bake until crispy)

mix watermelon with tomato, spinach feta and balsamic vinegar (trust me so good!)

breakfast burrito - peppers, onions, tomato, avocado,mushrooms, eggs, cheese, lettuce, wrapped in a tortilla top with salsa and/or guac.. mmmmmmmm

You can mash cauliflower with potatoes or mix swiss chard in with them.

Saute asparagus in butter with onions and garlic

Quick spaghetti sauce - squash, tomatoes, peppers, basil, onions, pepper, parsley, in a blender and then cook until it tastes good! (can add so much more to this, just a basic recipe)

Sourkraut - sautee onion add 1 head shredded cabbage 1 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 water, salt cook for about 30 minutes until the cabbage is tender. (basic recipe can add shredded carrots, onions garlic, caraway seeds, dill whatever you want)

Spaghetti squash - poke holes in it, bake until tender. Slice open, remove seeds scoops out innards. treat like spaghetti (I like to toss it with broccoli, grape tomatoes, red onion, feta, green olives, cheddar and a smidgen of oil)

I'm still trying to get creative with radishes
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    celery, carrots, tomato, yellow squash, pan squash, lettuce, Irish potatoes, new potatoes, sweet potatoes, okra, rutabagas, corn, turnips, mustard greens, green beans, pinto beans, red beans, navy beans, rice (brown is better than white), red beans, hominey, cream corn, onion, and a variety of peppers, etc.

Fruits are good too.. (yes, I know technically tomato is a fruit)... apples, oranges, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, lemons, grapefruit, etc... Just about anything that is edible that comes from a plant source

I'm sure I have forgotten several key ones.

Good list but technically, along with tomato, squash, okra, corn, peppers and many other culinary "vegetables" are botanically fruit. The more ya know and such...
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggies are my favorite, I'll be so glad when it warms up and I can start grilling again. My favorite is mixed fingerling potatoes, squash and zucchini. I think this year I want to try grilling some fruit for dessert, like peaches.

I'd also suggest substituting homemade hummus for the ranch dressing for veggie dipping. Hummus is stupidly simple to make, cheap and damned tasty. Google for Alton Brown's "Turbo Hummus" recipe to see how simple it really is.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I buy normandy blend from birdseye its a great mix and just heat and eat :) or make hummus and raw veggies
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    One more..

Oil-less fried or bake sliced up eggplant put on a tortilla with. Mozzarella, onion, tomato,yellow pepper, salsa, cilantro and squeeze lime. (I heat the tortilla with the cheese on it before putting everything else on it) or top with spaghetti sauce,and basil (and more veggies if you like) and you've got ghetto eggplant parm. LOL
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I love adding frozen spinach or broccoli into my casseroles and things. I love raw cauliflower and carrots as snacks. Zucchini and yellow squash are great steamed and mashed. I love roasted beets and baby brussels sprouts too. I also like to use shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw in place of lettuce in salads. Yum...