What weights would you advise I do?

3shirts
3shirts Posts: 294 Member
I have been going to the gym about 18 months. It was a bit off and on until this year but now I'm pretty committed and go twice a week.
I also cycle to work twice a week (5 miles each way), play two hours of badminton once a week and usually go for a decent walk with my girlfriend at the weekends (at least an hour).
I recently changed my workouts a bit to ditch most of the cardio as I was doing too much really and ending up with a lot more calories to eat back than I could manage without just eating crap!

Basically I'd love some advice on what exercises I should do in my two gym sessions? Want about an hours worth.
I currently do biceps and triceps on one day, things like standing curls, preacher curls, tricep press and using a radiant cable machine. On the other day I do chest and back so chest press, dumbell rows, incline dumbell press and flys.
I used to have three programs and the third was legs but I've largely stopped that due to the biking and walking. Do I still need to do some leg weights too?

For background, I am 6'2", 219lbs and about 27% body fat. My goal is to build muscle and lose fat but I'm dealing with the fat through diet and the cardio so the gym is mainly for muscle build. I don't want to be all massive, just toned/defined.

What are the best exercises for this, either weights or bodyweight based, and should I use free weights for everything or guided weights/machines?
I understand that 2 sets of 10 reps is about right where I tend to do so much that I can't quite manage the full 2x10. As soon as I can manage it, I put it up slightly.

Sorry for such a long post!

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    I remember reading a study I can't name the source where they were comparing the results of cyclers who biked for a controlled extended period of time, with the relation to muscle loss. What they found was that their entire upper body did not **** in composition, but however their legs had decreased in size by 2 - 4% or so. So my answer your legs question is yes you should training your legs. cycling in particular will deplete your glycogen stores. Its a close link study to the 'overtraining' concept.

As for what exercises: Squats, Deadlift, Benchpress, Military Press, Pull up would be my top 5.
    As for what equipment: use them all, cables, machines, dumbbells and barbells.

In regards to your rep range. If your goal is to stimulate sarcoplasmic hypertrohy, which I presume you are is you're going for 10reps and trying to build muscle, 2 sets won't be as effective time under tension for your muscles as 3 or 4 sets. Depending on your tempo or you might be following 3,2,1, but that's just what I see a lot of newcomers find to work.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    check out body beast or p90x if you can borrow or buy used. seriously, these are fantastic programs that really teaches you some great workouts for upper and lower body. i've already done p90x and am doing body beast now.

what i do is superset/drop sets so i start with a low weight x 15reps, med weight x 12 reps, heavy weight x 8 reps; then right away, with the heavy weight x 8 reps, med weight x 12 reps, light weight x 15 reps. heavy weight + low reps will give you bulk, lighter weights + more reps will make you lean.

i work smaller + large muscle groups together and every other day i do HIIT cardio + core. for a really good workout, weight train interval style so between sets, do 60 seconds of cardio (mountain climbers, jumping jacks etc) and then take a 30sec rest.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Well I really don't have the time for the likes of P90x, I want to get fit but having some kind of life is more important! At least an hour a day, 7 days a week, is not practical for me.

Thanks for the replies but I need something a bit less demanding of my time. I want to be as efficient as possible when I am at the gym but I don't want to be there my whole life!