Frustrated - the scale WON'T move!

Options
I am on my third week of real commitment to weight loss. My first week I was trying to net 1,000 cals per day but after reading some of the new posts about calories I realized my cals were too low. Now I net about 1200-1300. I eat all my exercise cals and exercise at least 45 minutes every day. Lots of cardoi (running, stationary bike, walking, ellipticla) and some weight resistance - pilates reformer and starting back up with kettlebell. I eat well overall. 5"9' and 159lbs. Since Ihave been doing this the scale hasn't moved and stayed moved. I lost one or two pounds but they didn't stay off. My clothes DO fit better - jeans that were tight are getting baggy so I know something good is happening, but I just don't understand why no weight loss. If I hadn't exercised before I would just say "muscle weight" but I have exercised all my life so it;s not like I was total flab before. I was lots of muscle and some flab.

I know that having clothes fit better is great, but I really want to lose weight. I don't want to weigh nearly 160 lbs. I have been 150 and that is minimally where I want to be. I would prefer 145 but will take small steps. I really never thought it would be this difficult to do this. I had anticipated that by April 13, when I run in a race, I would have lost at least 5 lbs. At this rate, I won't even come close. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what did you do to push through? Also, why am I seeing pretty big changes in the fit of my clothes but nothing on the scale? I know that I am not a number, I really do, but... I also know that I am not setting unreasonable goals and that the scale should be moving by now. At least a little bit. I am really nervous that as hard as I am trying to stay committed this lack of scale movement will push me over the edge. :sad: Thanks for any ideas and for allt he great support these boards provide.

hg

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I probably wouldn't expect much in 3 weeks. Give it a good 12 weeks.
  • bear73000
    bear73000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing. The scale will start taking care of itself if you keep up with your changes.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    the scale isn't moving because you aren't eating enough.

and obsessing over 5lbs, whether that's where you want to be or not, isn't the end of the world.
  • Catherinenistler
    Catherinenistler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same frustration. I decided to wait until May-June to really get frustrated. My clothes also fit much better, however, the scale is the same. i told myself now, not to weigh myself every week.
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You are probably retaining muscle if you are doing a lot of new types of exercise your body isnt used to. Once I did a workout dvd and held 3lbs of water weight for a week then all of a sudden it all come off again plus more ! Give it a little time frustrating I know but you will see differences soon :)
  • dstroman
    dstroman Posts: 2
    Options
    Good morning, I alway tell my friends that have this problem is not to focus on the weight loss but rather the inches loss. We measure the areas we like to improve usually weekly or bi weekly; arms, thighs, waist, hips and calves. We stick to this and when we see results we really feel good. I'm tall also so weight does not drop easy for me but for my friends that are shorter and heavier it peels off quickly. So be encourage to stay the course and celebrate the small successes, you're doing a great job!
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing; you know its working because your clothes are fitting better - 3 weeks ain't nothing as far as the scale is concerned - especially when you just start. 90% of the people that comment are going to tell you to eat more - but they are probably much younger than you. Give it time and then you can experiment with going up or down.
  • wtw2254
    wtw2254 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    stay positive keep working it will happen:smile:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Scale won't move? Follow these 4 easy step: 1. Open window. 2. Bend down. 3. Grab scale with both hands. 4. Throw scale out open window.
  • emmello
    emmello Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with dstroman but I know how you feel. I was annoyed this morning because I have put on weight (I'm on my period) but I have actually lost inches so I guess that's the main thing. I have also become a lot more mindful of what I'm eating, even though I am far from perfect some days I try and make up for it the next day. It sounds like you are doing everything right and the main thing is what you feel like and how clothes fit not what the scale says.
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Scale won't move? Follow these 4 easy step: 1. Open window. 2. Bend down. 3. Grab scale with both hands. 4. Throw scale out open window.

LOL:laugh:
  • Reneetamiam
    Options
    Look at the sodium content of your food choices. My body is super sensitive to sodium and even eating healthy foods with too much salt stops the scale from moving for me. You could be losing weight but water retention is stopping this from showing up on the scale.
  • KAbena
    KAbena Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Keep going. Consistency is the key if you want results...maybe put the scale away for a bit too? I tend to obsess with scale weight and it is really demotivating at times. Measure yourself, and focus on other changes (increased energy, better skin, fitness levels) to keep you on the right track :)
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You're still eating too few calories. 1200 kcal and that much exercise? Really, that's not good at all. Your body is going into starvation mode and rather store fat instead of burning it.

Read and do everything this thread says. it works, because this is how our body works:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    the scale isn't moving because you aren't eating enough.

and obsessing over 5lbs, whether that's where you want to be or not, isn't the end of the world.

I'll have to agree here. When I was netting 1200 cal, not a damn thing happened, 'cept me getting really frustrated. I upped my calories and activity accordingly and bang!....weight started coming off.
    I probably wouldn't expect much in 3 weeks. Give it a good 12 weeks.

At the 3 wk mark is where I decided something further needed to be done, I personally wouldn't wait 3 months to make a change. To be fair and in the interest of full disclosure, I do strength training & no purposeful cardio. I'm also 5' tall, sw: 160, cw: 153 gw 120ish. :drinker:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You're still eating too few calories. 1200 kcal and that much exercise? Really, that's not good at all. Your body is going into starvation mode and rather store fat instead of burning it.

Read and do everything this thread says. it works, because this is how our body works:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Yes. OP. Listen to this. Calculate your BMR. Don't eat less than that. It isn't a "keep eating at too large of a deficit and expect weight to drop again" thing.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    yes, do check out the road map post....I just wanted to add that I needed to make sure I stayed active as I tend to be sloth-like in order to net 15-1700 cal per day.

You, by comparison, are already very active with your exercise and all, so simply increasing you calories is all you have to do. Calculate your TDEE, take a modest deficit of less 20% and use that as your caloric daily allowance.
  • abluhm
    abluhm Posts: 1
    Options
    Your Height 5 feet, 9 inches. Your Weight is 159 pounds.

Your Calculated BMI is: 23.5

BMI Categories:
    Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    Overweight = 25-29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

So you are not overweight for your height...?? :bigsmile:
  • efranz12
    efranz12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Take pictures! My scale hasn't moved since January but boy has my body changed. But I know that without the pictures I wouldn't have realized how much of a change there has been.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Good morning, I alway tell my friends that have this problem is not to focus on the weight loss but rather the inches loss. We measure the areas we like to improve usually weekly or bi weekly; arms, thighs, waist, hips and calves. We stick to this and when we see results we really feel good. I'm tall also so weight does not drop easy for me but for my friends that are shorter and heavier it peels off quickly. So be encourage to stay the course and celebrate the small successes, you're doing a great job!

^^^^^
    Agree. The first two months my scale hardly moved at all. But I was losing 1/2 inch to an 1 inch a week. I would measure weekly.