30 & Estrogen Dominant

Options
I have recently found out through hormonal blood testing that I am Estrogen Dominant. I am barely 30. The laundry list of symptoms attached to this condition is staggering, many of which I identify with. Difficulty losing weight, anxiety, and migraines top my list of ailments caused by and/or exacerbated by having too much estrogen. I haven't take any sort of birth control in nearly 2 years, so that isn't the cause, and I have NO interest in the school of thought that resuming hormonal birth control will "fix" the problem. I saw a naturopathic doctor who did not like the idea of any kind of hormone therapy (like progesterone creams) due to the fact that I am so young. I have switched to organic chicken, eggs, etc to avoid the estrogen in those products. I found a supplement called DIM Complex that is basically highly concentrated nutrients found in cruciferous veggies- the formula encourages estrogen metabolism so my body will eliminate the excess. My diet is rich in veggies and fiber, I have no digestive programs (irregular bowels can cause a backup of estrogen), and I workout regularly. I am planning to try seed cycling to balance hormones as well.
I am posting this to find out if there are any other women my age struggling with this, and if so what are you doing to correct it? Have you had success in balancing hormones?

Thanks!

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    There's a book that should be exactly what you're looking for: The Anti-Estrogenic Diet: How Estrogenic Foods and Chemicals Are Making You Fat and Sick by Ori Hofmekler and Rick Osborn (May 15, 2007) I've read it and followed a lot of the material. Passionflower and chamomile are two of your best bets to getting rid of estrogen excess. And eating lots of cruciferious vegetables like kale etc.
    Dim is also very good. I looked up seed cycling because I had no clue what it was. Flax, sesame, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds should all help as well. He mentions these in the book. Try to buy raw and organic if you can.

You may be wondering why I know this. I'm a weightlifter and I try to get any benefits I can. Lower estrogen levels usually means higher testosterone.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The flavones chrysin, apigenine, quercetin, and narigenin all inhibit estrogen, as well as the indoles: indole 3 carbinol, diindolymethane (DIM), and indole 3 acetate.
  • justkeepswimming83
    Options
    Wow, I had not expected the only response to come from a man, but I'm not picky!! :) Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and share your knowledge. I looked up that book and it looks like it could be really helpful, so I will be ordering it. I'll also look into passionflower and chamomile. Looking forward to finding some different ways to feel healhier. Thanks again!! :)
  • tarapiglet
    Options
    I have been doing some of the things out of this book for about a month now but recently I started the actual regime he sets down. Its been amazing feeling so far. I admit is a little pricey. He actually sells a supplement that I may get next month.
    http://www.defensenutrition.com/lp/estrox/

I was drawn to this book because, I read "The Power of Your Metabolism" by Frank Suarez. But I was ready for something at peak health. I already know about the onslaught of estrogen mimicking chemicals in the environment. Parabens, BPA, etc... Also, I used to be into health food a lot. So now here I am at age 31, wanting to revitalize my body. I am doing this book. It's awesome. So far... ;)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You got rid of soy?