High Iron, Low Calorie, and Tasty Recipes - Do they exist?

Options
ScottishMrs
ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
I've been tracking my iron intake this week and realized that I don't get nearly enough iron in my diet. I'm looking for high iron but low calorie recipes that still taste good. Does anyone have any recipes like this or know where I cand find them?

Replies

• ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Beans are high in iron and I eat a lot of them. You can check out some of my recipes on my food diary blog - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com :)

Ax
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup-2tb olive oil, 1/2 cup lentils, 2 fresh tomatoes, 2 bay leaves, water, 2 tb vinegar before serving.
    Chicken liver is one of the richest sources of iron, 70% daily value,

You always have to pre-soak beans to remove the iron inhibitor. Try to eat with some food/drink that has vitamin C because it helps in absorbing the iron.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Dark chocolate is really high in Iron but you have to go for the really black stuff but here are some other options
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Also: cook things in a cast-iron pan
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Spinach is high in iron and low cal. Also, duck is high in iron, if you do meat. The two would make a very nice salad with an Asian vinegarette on top.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I bake kale chips, they're amazing. My kids love them too! ETA: Olive oil and crystal salt :)
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Also: cook things in a cast-iron pan
    This too! Cast iron skillets are awesome, they can go stovetop right into the oven, and you get the added bonus of a mineral you need, rather than Teflon, which is probably not even healthy to cook in.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are you using MFP to track your iron? The database is really poor when it comes to those other nutrients like iron etc, so don't rely on that as a basis.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I bake kale chips, they're amazing. My kids love them too! ETA: Olive oil and crystal salt :)

What's your recipe for that? I saw them at the supermarket, they were $4.99 for a small container!
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
  • ScottishMrs
    Options
    Thank you all! I do meat, but I can't stand beans (except for chick peas in hummus form). Meat's a little expensive on a student income though, so I've been trying to find meatless sources of iron. I think I'm going to have to start buying a little more meat though.
    Are you using MFP to track your iron? The database is really poor when it comes to those other nutrients like iron etc, so don't rely on that as a basis.

I'm using MFP for the iron and I've been looking at the % iron on the nutrition labels on my food. I barely make 50% most days.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I second this. Sometimes whoever created the food didnt bother to add the iron. I would double check just to be sure. Also, there's nothing wrong with taking a supplement.
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    I discovered cream of wheat farina for breakfast with a bit of honey and cinnamon! Loaded in iron.
  • tl_swift
    tl_swift Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A 3 oz. serving of cooked goat meat contains fewer calories than the same cooked weight of beef, chicken, lamb or pork: 122 calories in goat meat vs. 162 in chicken, 179 in beef, 180 in pork and 175 in lamb.
    Goat meat has 2.6 g of total fat, 0.79 g of saturated fat, 63.8 mg of cholesterol and 23 g of protein per 3 oz. serving. It also has relatively high levels of iron compared to its competitors, 3.2 mg per 3 oz. serving vs. 2.9 mg in beef, 2.7 mg in pork, 1.4 mg in lamb and 1.5 mg in chicken. Goat meat is also a rich source of potassium.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/328432-nutritional-value-of-goat-meat-compared-to-other-meats/#ixzz2NqutivX7
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I often have a half cup of Quaker Oat squares as a snack during the day. Iron-fortified cereal will do the trick.
  • cluthab
    cluthab Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Spinach is high in iron and low cal. Also, duck is high in iron, if you do meat. The two would make a very nice salad with an Asian vinegarette on top.

After an operation 14 years ago I was advised to increase my iron intake. I nearly became addicted to spinach and ginger soup!
  • ScottishMrs
    Options

I second this. Sometimes whoever created the food didnt bother to add the iron. I would double check just to be sure. Also, there's nothing wrong with taking a supplement.

I actually had to stop taking my prenantals because of the iron supplements. They make me really nauseous and I was throwing up daily because of it. I need to get my iron from natural sources, and because I'm TTC I need extra iron.
    I discovered cream of wheat farina for breakfast with a bit of honey and cinnamon! Loaded in iron.

That sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Beef liver contains a lot as well
  • gungjeu
    gungjeu Posts: 2
    Options
    Vitamin B12 is awesome but you do have to eat something before you take it to avoid nausea.
  • ScottishMrs
    Options
    Vitamin B12 is awesome but you do have to eat something before you take it to avoid nausea.

What does the B12 help with? I'm already on a daily 1200mg B12 supplement.