How long does it take to lose 40 lbs?

Options
Hi all!

I'm 32 year old, 220 lbs and 5'2. I have 3 jobs, 1 full-time and 2 part-time. I commute everyday from my home to my workplace. I spend around 3-4 hours a day driving.

I really don't have time to workout. currently I'm doing Leslie Sansone because it's the most feasible exercise I can do.

How long does it take for me to lose 40 lbs in the most realistic length of time? and what strategy you can suggest for me to achieve my goal.

Thank you.

Replies

• HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    at about 1/2 pound a week considering your sedentary lifestyle.... so in about 80 weeks or about 18 months....
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would say a year if you work the MFP program correctly. You don't HAVE to exercise, but it will help make this a more sustainable lifestyle change because you will be able to eat more.

I was similarly overweight when I started. I lost my first 20 lbs in 5 months with NO exercise. Then from months 6 through 10, I was walking 3 or 4 times a week. Then the last 2 months of my first year I was doing C25K (running). I lost about 45 lbs. that first year, and I am a pretty slow loser compared to many.

Given your stats, I would say a year is a great target.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs in 3 months using Intermittent Fasting 19/5 and that was with ZERO exercise.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Half a pound is reasonable - but you should be able to lose 1 pound per week - so 40 weeks. You don't want to lose it too fast, though.

I had abour 50 pounds to lose when I started my journey. I gave myself 1 year to do so. Unfortunately, I've been on a mean plateau since before the holidays - so I might not quite make my 50 pound weight loss by the one year mark!
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    it's not how much you work out. it's how much you eat.

Healthy weight loss is 1lb a week. If you put everything into mfp (ht, wt, age, activity level, etc) it will tell you how many calories you get a day.

Good luck!
  • ZETAZEN
    ZETAZEN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    vague answer? it depends.

No. Really. It depends on how much you have to lose. I lost my first 40 in about 2 months... but I started at over 330 lbs.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    With that much to lose you should be able to do 2 lbs a week for a while without exercise if you stick to a budget, no cheating and weighing and measuring food for accuracy. As you get nearer to goal you'll lose a a slower pace. Commuting (driving in a car) is no different than sitting in a chair so don't get caught up in those who will tell your that burns extra calories.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in three months but I exercised 3 to 4 times a week and really watched what I ate (calories, carbs and protein).
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started here in jan and I have lost 16 and will probably lose another 10 or so by april but I really try to be very real with food journaling and walking 5 times a week and using the free weights every other day and doing squats. Honestly I think even with a busy schedule someone could keep up with my routine but I have more weight to lose than you I am 30-40 pounds heavier ... Just get started and do you best ... it will take a lifetime if you never get started. good luck!
  • Rabunm
    Rabunm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by "using Intermittent Fasting 19/5"?
  • keeugea
    keeugea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! You definitely need to do 30-45 minutes of moderate-intense cardio at least 3xs a week for your physical health. You can lose all the weight you want, but if you don't strengthen those muscles you won't live long enough to enjoy being lighter on the scale. Buuuut, as previously said, its all about your caloric intake and eating the right foods. How long will it take? How dedicated are you?
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 month. The only exercise I had was walking a bit with my dog...and that wasn't a steady walk since a beagle stops to sniff really often! I tried to keep to more accurate portion sizes, added in more fruits and vegetables rather than too much of the "other stuff"...in other words, I tried to eat healthier.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and started at 225. It's been over a year and I'm only at 37 lbs lost. I exercise consistently, tried lifting, tried c25k. I took September and December off from logging, I didn't gain during that time, but I wasn't actively losing either.

How much you lose, is up to you. But realistically I would allow for .5-1 lb a week loss schedule. And maybe add in a few weeks buffer, because you will probably have a zero loss week thrown in there.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs in year. But I could have done it quicker but I liked the longer route lol. What I tend to do, is lose like half a stone pretty quickly by being really dedicated and doing lots of walking, and then I lighten up a little and eat a bit more and try and maintain for a couple of month. Then get dedicated again and lose another half stone and then maintain for a little while.

I'm hoping that by trying to get used to eating at maintainance levels and what activity I need to stay there (turns out walking and lifting is good for me) I'll be ok for once I actually get to my target weight.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    For me, it's gonna be about 40 lbs in one year.

I wouldn't go much more aggressive than that because you are already stressed out as is.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by "using Intermittent Fasting 19/5"?

19 hour fasting window = No calories
    5 hour feeding window = eat my calories
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Took me 1.5 years, but I did it by slowly changing habits. I had no rush. I didn't start MFP until I had 10-15 more to lose and they came off in 4 months. Start now and in no time you'll be where you want to be!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I used a calculator found at this location: http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/weight-loss-calculator.php

Using the information you provided, to stay at the same weight, you would need approximately 2095 calories a day.

To lose weight, choose an option from the table below.

1467 calories October 27, 2013
    1571 calories December 11, 2013
    1595 calories December 24, 2013
    1676 calories February 16, 2014
    1781 calories June 7, 2014

Note: These are estimates. You may need more or less calories a day. Track your progress; eat more calories if you lose too much weight, or feel hungry/tired.
  • lifeviabrittney
    lifeviabrittney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started at 297 and am down to 271 and am 5'5". I have been just tracking my food and doing a some walking or a work out video once or twice a week. I have had a weight loss of about 2.4 lbs/week (started Jan 1 this year.)

I haven't been SUPER strict. I have probably had a day over per week and even a few weekends where I didn't count at all. Don't be too hard on yourself and focus on a LIFE change instead of trying to lose 40 lbs ASAP. Think of it as improving over time and it will be easy. :) Good luck to you!!