any other homeschoolers

Options
Iv got a 21month old son who i will be homeschooling when he reaches school age any1 else do this esp in uk

Replies

• fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it in France (where homeschooling has a really bad press). My children are 6, 3 and 4 months old.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm half homeschooling. I live in Bahrain and my kids go to an Arabic school/nursery and I'm teaching them what they're not learning from the British curriculum.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    My four boys were all homeschooled -- 3 are working now and one still looking for a job.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Homeschool dad here. We are starting preschool already and are plan is to stick with it throughout.

Anybody want to share any good resources they use? I got some if anyone needs them.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was home edding until ss and my ex illegally forced the kids back into school (know your rights) loved every minute though and hate that i send them to school every morning.xx
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Homeschool dad here. We are starting preschool already and are plan is to stick with it throughout.

Anybody want to share any good resources they use? I got some if anyone needs them.

Literacy - anything with good quality phonics (dyslexia runs in my family and phonics is best for the kind of dyslexia we have)
    - jolly phonics
    - piper books (BRI-ARI series) - pricey if you buy the whole lot, but worth a look, even if you just look at their methodology and how this can really help dyslexic kids, and it works for non-dyslexic kids too, I also use this for tutoring kids to whom I teach English as a foreign language

Maths
    - anything that's based on the British curriculum for maths, because it's very good
    - anything that teaches maths through logic and understanding, the same method as "maths makes sense" although I haven't bought that one. you can find examples of this teaching method on Teacher's TV
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Literacy - anything with good quality phonics (dyslexia runs in my family and phonics is best for the kind of dyslexia we have)
    - jolly phonics
    - piper books (BRI-ARI series) - pricey if you buy the whole lot, but worth a look, even if you just look at their methodology and how this can really help dyslexic kids, and it works for non-dyslexic kids too, I also use this for tutoring kids to whom I teach English as a foreign language

Maths
    - anything that's based on the British curriculum for maths, because it's very good
    - anything that teaches maths through logic and understanding, the same method as "maths makes sense" although I haven't bought that one. you can find examples of this teaching method on Teacher's TV

I like "teaching textbooks" for math. (http://teachingtextbooks.com/)
    Literecy can be taught just be really trying to establish a love for reading. (when dyslexia is not there) However literecy is not the same thing as Grammer. Grammer is a whole different ball game.
  • willbeayummymuumy
    Options
    Thanks for replying have added most of u :)
  • CarlaChalk78
    Options
    I homeschool our two boys aged 10 and 8 :) We have been homeschooling for just over a year now :)
  • LittleSproutsMom
    LittleSproutsMom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and homeschool two boys ages 13 and 7. My oldest son is disabled and has some learning disabilities. We use a mixture of different curriculum. We follow the Charlotte Mason method for Nature Studies and Math (living Math books), we use Explode the Code for Phonics and Five in a Row for Language Arts and other subjects.

I restarted my weight loss journey in mid January. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • sowenby1984
    sowenby1984 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    In North Carolina and Home Schooling a 4 year old.
  • Puggles04
    Puggles04 Posts: 37
    Options
    I homeschool in NY. I have an 8yr old, 7yr old, 2yr old and 6 month.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My wife was homeschooled and, starting next year, my Son will begin home schooling (12 years old).
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I homeschooled my daughter for several years and she's back at public school now. It was a great experience and she got ahead and learned a lot. Now she's making very good grades & doing well in middle school.
  • eatingafterdark
    eatingafterdark Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I homeschool our, 4, 8, and 10 year old! I also have a 3 yr. old, but haven't formally started homeschooling him. This week I am administering the Terra Nova test for the two older kids. I hate tests!
    Would be happy to be friends with you!
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Although I'm in Canada I homeschool my 13 year old who is in grade 8 and will begin my 12 year old next year as he goes into grade 7. We homeschooled last year and really enjoyed it but they thought they wanted to go back to the classroom. School is not what it used to be, at least here anyhow. Apart from home it was the safest place to be where you could trust the teachers and students alike. Bullying is such an issue now and my 13 year old dealt with his fair share and had just had enough. He's a good kid with high moral standards and that doesn't fly well amongst kids these days! I love knowing they're home with me, don't get me wrong, sometimes it's frustrating but all in all I wouldn't change a thing!!:smile: