too much soy?

M3221
M3221 Posts: 2
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I'm vegetarian and allergic to milk, so i find that I eat soy sometimes up to three times a day. I've heard that plant estrogens can be bad for you in large quantities ,and was wondering how much is too much and what are some better alternatives for protein?

Replies

• I always heard 25 grams of protein from soy a day. I know rice and almond milk is good but not a great source of protein. Hemp protein is a complete protein and mixes well plus good fiber. Hope this helps.
  • scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    I too am a vegetarian who is dairy intollerent. I drank soy milk for years but have recently switched to oat milk bcause of the phytoestrogens and also it is said to hamper thyroid function and mine is slow anyway! Everything in moderation so I would mix it up with alternatives.
  • M3221
    M3221 Posts: 2
    thank you so much! Ill check hemp and oat milk out.
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    My doctors told me to limit my soy intake because of the way it mimics estrogen.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    My doctors told me to limit my soy intake because of the way it mimics estrogen.
    I loved soy products and used them alot to replace other food items in the past. Same thing with me, had to cut them out after several docs receommended it due to cancer history in my family/comment above relating to estrogen mimicing.

Soy is in SO many products now though that I wonder if many of us even realize how much we're eating of it without realizing it. Often times used as fillers for the most unlikely food items.

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    can you do almond milk?
  • awbower76
    awbower76 Posts: 22 Member
    From what I understand, it's the soy in processed foods that is tricky. For some reason tofu is fine. (and as you can see, I haven't studied it very deeply, as my statements are very general and not backed up with studies/facts!)

I am vegetarian and following a gluten-free diet (not diagnosed Celiac, but have many symptoms) and had to cut out all my Morningstar and Boca products. I had been meaning to do it anyway, so being forced to do it was great. I eat a ton of beans, eggs (obviously I'm not vegan) and quinoa for non-dairy protein.
  • awbower76
    awbower76 Posts: 22 Member
    Sheesh...

I decided to go look on the internet to see if I could find anything to back up my claims that soy in processed foods is worse than fermented soy and found this:

<i>Some experts suggest that soy itself is not inherently a problem, but it's primarily overconsumption -- and secondarily, the issue of genetic modification -- that are the concerns. They argue that soy that is not genetically modified, and consumed in food forms -- like tofu, tempeh and miso -- can be safely incorporated into the diet when used in moderation -- like the Asians do -- as a condiment, and not as a primary protein source.</i>

There's a whole host of information about soy causing hypothyroid...which has very similar symptoms to celiac. I was tested for hypothyroid and came back ok, but now I'm wondering if eating processed soy caused my symptoms. Eating a gluten-free diet has eliminated virtually all processed foods, therefore eliminating processed soy...

Sorry if I hijacked your thread! ;)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    It was a "good" hi-jack IMO, thank you for the info.
This discussion has been closed.