Keep/gain lean muscle but then want to lose weight

Options
Not sure if this is the right forum but hopefully I will get some anwers. How can I keep/gain the lean muscle I want but also lose weight at the same time?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    strength train while eating at a defict
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

and making sure to hit your protein goals (not the one MFP gives you). i think it's 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

and making sure to hit your protein goals (not the one MFP gives you). i think it's 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

I think its 1g protein per lb lean body mass (you can work this out with an online body fat calculator) this is a lot easier than trying to eat 1g protein per lb body weight...

At least, thats what I'm doing....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I think its 1g protein per lb lean body mass (you can work this out with an online body fat calculator) this is a lot easier than trying to eat 1g protein per lb body weight...

At least, thats what I'm doing....

yeah, you're right. it's lean body mass.
  • HealthyLife89
    Options
    I have managed to lose nearly all the 50lbs I gained with both of my babies (50lbs with each child). I am only a few pounds from my goal weight. It took me FOREVER to lose the weight. Probably a good two years. But I lost a lot of inches. I mainly focused on full body strength training three times a week and 1 day a week I do cardio. I also take walks and hikes on other days, but these are my scheduled days. I ate at a very small deficit. I used http://scoobysworkshop.com/ and fat2fitradio.com to calculate my numbers. No more than a few hundred a day. I believe this is what helped me gain muscle while I was losing weight. I made sure my diet consisted of high protein (I use protein as well since it's usually hard for me to get all my protein from food only), moderate fat and lower carbs. Most of them came from fruits and vegetables but I had 1-2 servings of whole grains like brown rice, brown rice pastas, quinoa, barley, red skin potatoes and Ezekiel. There were times my weight didn't budge at all for a few months but then I'd drop 5lbs what seemed like over night. Don't get discouraged! Give your routine at minimum a few months.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    What the others said. Strength train while eating at a calorie deficit. And lots o' protein.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    you can MAINTAIN muscle mass but it is IMPOSSIBLE to GAIN muscle mass while eating at a deficit... you can eat at a deficit and lose weight, lose inches and if being really careful, you can prevent major musle mass loss but you will never gain muscle mass while eating at a deficit I dont care how much strength training you are doing...
  • strongmommaof5
    Options
    Ok so this probably sounds like a stupid question but what should my calorie deficit be? I always get confused when people tell me to have a deficit
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    you can MAINTAIN muscle mass but it is IMPOSSIBLE to GAIN muscle mass while eating at a deficit... you can eat at a deficit and lose weight, lose inches and if being really careful, you can prevent major musle mass loss but you will never gain muscle mass while eating at a deficit I dont care how much strength training you are doing...

science disagrees with this...especially in overfat, novice or untrained individuals eating adequate protein.
  • HealthyLife89
    Options
    Ok so this probably sounds like a stupid question but what should my calorie deficit be? I always get confused when people tell me to have a deficit

Go to one of the links I mentioned above and find you maintenance calorie level. I suggest eating at a 10% cut. So for example if your maintenance is 2000 calories a day. Subtract 200 from that number everyday. I personally wouldn't do a deficit of 500 calories especially if you're working out. My maintenance is about 1500-1600 (since I am only 4'10" 104lbs. So I normally try to eat between 1400-1600 (I try to net 1300-1400 on my workout days) calories a day and get most of my deficit from exercise.

These numbers might be different for you if you're taller and weigh more. I don't have much to lose. SO basically I just eat at my maintenance. Sometimes a bit more on my workout days.
  • DavPul
    Options

not a stupid question at all. your profile shows that you only have 15 lbs to lose. So your deficit should be pretty small. I'd try starting at 300-500 cals below maintenance per day. If you're using MFP set it for losing 1 pound or half pound loss per week. When you're that close to your goal slow and steady is the best course.
  • HIITMe
    Options

science disagrees with this...especially in overfat, novice or untrained individuals eating adequate protein.

put up or shut up...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

While this is not impossible to do, it can be quite difficult and requires several specific circumstances to be in place. First, you must be significantly overweight with a high body fat percentage. Second, you must consume a diet conducive to muscular hypertrophy. Third, you must engage in a consistent program of weight training.

Body Composition Requirements

Because the human body is designed to sacrifice muscle when losing weight as a survival mechanism, only a certain body type will permit the simultaneous growth of muscle and loss of overall mass. If you're significantly overweight, your body may be able to support increased muscle mass even on a caloric deficit, provided it has less fat to maintain. If you're relatively lean and/or muscular, however, it is much more difficult for your body to increase muscle mass while experiencing a caloric deficit.
  • DavPul
    Options

put up or shut up...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

While this is not impossible to do, it can be quite difficult and requires several specific circumstances to be in place. First, you must be significantly overweight with a high body fat percentage. Second, you must consume a diet conducive to muscular hypertrophy. Third, you must engage in a consistent program of weight training.

Body Composition Requirements

Because the human body is designed to sacrifice muscle when losing weight as a survival mechanism, only a certain body type will permit the simultaneous growth of muscle and loss of overall mass. If you're significantly overweight, your body may be able to support increased muscle mass even on a caloric deficit, provided it has less fat to maintain. If you're relatively lean and/or muscular, however, it is much more difficult for your body to increase muscle mass while experiencing a caloric deficit.

How about this: No where does the OP ask how to build muscle while in a deficit, so why don't the two of you go swing your links elsewhere. This irrelevant debate is not needed here.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy (for you) and get your protein and rest. Don't eat in too large of deficit either. Research shows that the most effective amount of protein is between 0.75-1.0g of protein per pound of lean mass.
  • HIITMe
    Options

How about this: No where does the OP ask how to build muscle while in a deficit, so why don't the two of you go swing your links elsewhere. This irrelevant debate is not needed here.

SURE ABOUT THAT BIG GUY??

THIS IS THE OP ~~~~>>
    Not sure if this is the right forum but hopefully I will get some anwers. How can I keep/gain the lean muscle I want but also lose weight at the same time?

THIS IS THE OP ~~~~>>
  • liftingbro
    Options

My personal exprience backed up with Bodpod results shows that you most certainly can gain lean mass while in a deficit.

I went from about 250 ~45% BF (138 pounds of lean mass) to 210 @ 28% BF (149 pounds of lean mass). Took a year to do it but it can happen when you just start lifting.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    . This irrelevant debate is not needed here.

Totally agree, which is why i just said the blurb I did as this debate is not what the OP needs to hear/read.
  • HIITMe
    Options
    I stand partially corrected..it CAN happen, its VERY VERY hard to do... and takes a certain body type, one that the OP , a female with only 15 pounds to lose, doesnt have...

ETA: wait..where did I read she only had 15 pounds to lose, because now I dont see it...

the debate is relevant... or is it only IRRELEVANT becaue YOU say so?? self-proclaimed expert.... you cant state something is true because YOU said so...again, put up or shutup
  • liftingbro
    Options
    I stand partially corrected..it CAN happen, its VERY VERY hard to do... and takes a certain body type, one that the OP , a female with only 15 pounds to lose, doesnt have

I come from a background where I lifted weights and wrestled most of my life, then got fat and out of shape over the course of 10 years or so. So, I think that part of my results are the fact that I probably had some muscle memory and a good amount of muscle mass to start with. I'm also male and females generally are going to have issues building a lot of muscle even when eating in a surplus.

So my results are not typical but they can happen.
  • HIITMe
    Options
    I stand partially corrected..it CAN happen, its VERY VERY hard to do... and takes a certain body type, one that the OP , a female with only 15 pounds to lose, doesnt have

I come from a background where I lifted weights and wrestled most of my life, then got fat and out of shape over the course of 10 years or so. So, I think that part of my results are the fact that I probably had some muscle memory and a good amount of muscle mass to start with. I'm also male and females generally are going to have issues building a lot of muscle even when eating in a surplus.

So my results are not typical but they can happen.

gotcha and agree on all points...