Gaining weight after workout?!??!?!

Options
I was feeling really good about my weight and wanted to give the weight-loss a kick by doing some cardio and strength but today when I checked my weight I had gained weight! How come? Is it water or what is it?

Natalie

Replies

• premedios
    premedios Posts: 1
    Options
    You could be gaining weight but you must also see your bodyfat percentage. If you've lost bodyfat percentage and gaining weight then your gaining muscle :). So just measuring your weight is not enough. I think you can buy those bodyfat things in amazon.
  • natalieshalom
    Options
    Is it really that easy to gain muscles being a girl? I mean... over a night? I really should get one of those bodyfat percentage things!
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    If you feel good don't let the scales knock you back down.

Unless you are cheating, in which case do better :) If you're following your program and things are going well by all means weigh yourself but don't knock yourself down because of a gain if you're feeling great from what you are doing.
  • neil_machen
    neil_machen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was feeling really good about my weight and wanted to give the weight-loss a kick by doing some cardio and strength but today when I checked my weight I had gained weight! How come? Is it water or what is it?

Natalie
    [/quote

Often I find that after working out (depending on the intensity) I retain water for a day or two. It is like your body recognises that you need extra water so it holds on to anything thats there!
  • ieatstickers
    ieatstickers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is more than likely that it was just water weight. That's why it's always good to weigh yourself in the morning after you peed. This happened to me once when I first was starting out. I weigh myself at night and thought I gained. Then I weighed myself the next morning only to find out that I didn't gain at all, and actually lost a pound ( after I went to the bathroom ).
  • KathleenAGarrity
    KathleenAGarrity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That always happens to me - listen to "ieatstickers" (great name!lol!) - weight yourself in the mornings after you pee. I always come home from the gym with an extra 2 pounds on the scale but then the next morning its back to normal (or less!).
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    When you strength train, you are creating small tears in the muscle fibers. Your body then sends out SOS signals to repair the damage. Your body then retains some water to help with the repair, thus you may find your body weight fluctuates for a day or two after strength training (especially if you're lifting heavy). I'm doing ChaLean Extreme and I lift 3 days/week. I don't weight myself every day (anymore), but I certainly used to and I would go through the same thing. Also, when I'm on my cycle, I hold onto SIX POUNDS of water. So, I just grit my teeth through that week, knowing that after about 5 or 6 days, it'll go away.

Instead of relying on the scale so much, weigh yourself at max once/week. Take your measurements every month, record your body fat% every month, and take pictures (from front, side and back) every month and then compare. Good luck!