VitaMix vs BlendTec

Options
I have had a Vita-mix for about 7 years now and just purchased the BlendTec. Looking for Pros and cons for each of these Blenders.

Thanks in Advance.

Replies

• IntegralPart
    Options
    Blendtecs are generally a bit more powerful, most are 3 horsepower, while the Vitamix only goes up to 2.2 horsepower. I'm not sure if you really need that much power to blend up food, but it can certainly make quick work of an iPhone if you need to blend one.

One thing that Vitamix has that I've always found helpful is the tamper (aka. stick or plunger). Whenever I'm blending up something thick, like pesto or peanut butter, it definitely helps move things along quicker, pushing things down into the blades.

Blendtec claims that their container design eliminates the need for this, but honestly, whenever I've used them, it just hasn't been true. I've had to stop, take off the container and shake or smack it or scrape down the sides to get things moving again.

Maybe I just like my peanut butter too thick..

I posted up a few additional thoughts on the differences here - http://blenderreviews.us/compare-blenders/vitamix-vs-blendtec/

Blendtec recently introduced the Twister, which comes with a built in scraper the helps get thick stuff moving, but why get a whole separate container for thick stuff?

I'm curious as to what made you switch to a Blendtec after owning a Vitamix for seven years.
  • jcfromtb
    jcfromtb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had a Blendtec for about 4-5 months now and love it. I got mine through Costco for around $325, it came with the Wildside and the Fourside jars (although I've never used the Fourside). It's pretty powerful, I use it mostly to make protein shakes and smoothies. Occassionally I will make frozen drinks or milkshakes for the kids with frozen yogurt. Most of my creations are fairly thin, so I haven't had much experience with it getting stuck or needing to be tampered down. Even with 2 cups of frozen yogurt or ice, it blends incredibly fast. You can dump in 4 cups of ice and have slush within 15 seconds, its a pretty amazing blender.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I love the Blendtec. I got it at Costco back in December. Best investment I have made. I can't say anything bad about it at all. I have made homemade peanut butter with it, and smoothies with apples, spinach, frozen fruit and it blends it up fast.
  • MerRock
    MerRock Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've not used BlendTec, but I LOVE my VitaMix, and I can't really think of anything I'd want to do that it can't do. Like a previous poster said, the tamper makes it possible to mix up very thick stuff very quickly.

Just as an FYI, I bought my VitaMix at Costco.
  • Slamdunkpro
    Slamdunkpro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've had both in a bar / restaurant setting and at home. In general the Vitamix units outlasted the Blendtec units in our commercial environment but I doubt anyone at home is going to go the the service use level we did.

I currently have both a Vitaprep and a Vitaprep 3 (3 horsepower) and there is virtually no difference in their performance so don't get too hung up on 3 vs 2.2 hp - remember that's peak torque (the maximum the machine will develop and any one point in time, not sustained)

I find the Vitamix a little more versatile than the Blendtec due to the blade shape and the plunger. I'm a little old school in that I prefer the taller carafe even though it won't fit under the counter. I also prefer the switch / rotary switch configuration of the Vitamix to the Blendtec's touch pad.

Both will give you good service and both beat the hell out of the info-show blenders like the Ninja and the other wanna be come lately types.

One thing to remember is that you need a 15 amp circuit for these units as both draw over 12 amps.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well, my vitamix is being delivered today after much research and comparison watching and reading and reviews. it was a close battle. but i think it is a good choice. i went with the Super package from costco online. mostly because i wanted the dry jar so i could grind my grains with it. the end of the day can't come soon enough.............
  • sand0789
    sand0789 Posts: 1
    Options
    Vitamix is a little higher quality/ruggedness and $100 more expensive. Both have good warranty though. Blendtec rarely requires tamping or assistance for smoothies, whole juice, and soup compared with Vita. It also fits under cupboards with room to get the pitcher off/on easily. Blendtec is easier to wash.

Some claim Vitamix makes "smoother" stuff but I can't imagine anything being smoother than what the blendtec puts out. The whole juice will go through a sippy cup even when it is mostly spinach. The Blendtec techically doesn't come with a tamper but if you remove the vent lid you can push stuff down with a wooden spoon while pulsing. I only have trouble with frozen treats though. But yes in those spots a dedicated tamper would be better which the Vitamix has. But for most functions you don't need the tamper on the blendtec.

I don't know why the Blendtec doesn't include a tamping feature of some kind though. Better to have it and not need it.