Dressing up plain greeek yogurt

Options
moxiecowgirl
moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
I'm easing my way into eating more greek yogurt. I don't love it. It's awfully tart and the texture is funny, although I'm getting used to that part. I started eating the Chobani bite flavors, but they have an awful lot of sugar in them. Please share your favorite ideas for making this stuff tasty without adding a crap ton of sugar. Thanks!

Replies

• moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    add fruits, low sugar jam, honey, walnuts, almonds, fiber one, pomegranet seeds, raspberries/blackberries, blueberries
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    mix some baileys or whiskey in it.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually alternate a teaspoon of honey (per 5 or 6 oz yogurt) with blueberries. Sometimes I take whole strawberries and dip into the yogurt and eat that way.
  • smancini
    smancini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 cup pineapple chunks with the pineapple juice. It is like having a bowl of ice cream, yummy!
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'll add a tbsp of all natural honey (60 calories). Or 2 tbsp light Hershey's syrup (45 calories) if it's for a dessert. I'll also add all different kinds of fruit.

My favorite - and I have it for breakfast often - is having vanilla greek yogurt mixed with trail mix. You just have to watch the calories in the trail mix. My meal ends up being around 470 calories, but it tastes great and it really stays with me.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I can't stand plain greek yogurt, no matter what I add to it. It just tastes so terrible. I eat Dannon Light and Fit Greek every day which only has 80 calories and 7g of sugar. That seems to be the lowest greek yogurt that I can find that has that amount of sugar. Even plain greek yogurt by Oikos has more sugar at 9 grams.

So recap

Dannon light and fit greek vanilla- 80 calories, 7 g of sugar, 12 g protein
    Oikos plain greek yogurt- 120 calories, 9 g sugar, 22 g protein
    Chobani plain greek yogurt- 140 calories, 9 g sugar, 23 g protein
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    mix some baileys or whiskey in it.

I like the way you think! :drinker: But I'm pretty sure that's full of sugars. :grumble:
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I add splenda and vanilla. My favorite is vanilla yogurt. I can't tell the difference.
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has some great ideas that won't load you up on calories or sugar! some fruit and granola are always a fav of mine!
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    I like to add shaved almonds for texture and, when I have some on hand, berries for sweetness.
  • SheilaKrazz
    Options
    I just tried it for the first time on the weekend. I bought vanilla flavoured by mistake when I planned to buy plain. I really enjoyed it!
  • LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem getting used to greek yogurt, so I did start with the cups with fruit and yes they are high on sugar, but they got me accliamted to the tartness. Now I buy them for emergencies, but below is my favorite way to eat Greek yogurt ( I do buy vanilla).

1/2 c cut-up strawberries; 1/2 c blueberries; 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt and 2 Tablespoons of granola on top - I pretend it's a sundae

I'll have this for breakfast or at night instead of ice cream. It really stays with me for breakfast.
  • johncarocci
    Options
    This isn't my idea (I got it from another forum thread) but I'm a huge fan. Add a box of Jell-O fat free sugar free cheesecake pudding mix to Chobani vanilla greek yogurt, It tastes amazing, and just as importantly, it changes the texture and consistency of the yogurt. It's just like eating cheesecake. Other pudding flavors work too but the cheesecake is best.

The 16oz vanilla greek yogurt + pudding mix = about 450 calories total. If you're watching sodium, be careful as the pudding mix adds a lot of sodium.

Another idea which works in theory is to add soup or dip mix and use the greek yogurt as a dip for your fresh veggies (carrots, cauliflower, etc). I'm still experimenting to find the perfect combo. The good news here is that the bitterness of plain greek yogurt works for the dip, and it makes plain raw veggies fun to munch on. The downside is that once again adding mix means adding a lot of sodium.

Finally, a chef friend recommended adding maple syrup to sweeten plain or vanilla yogurt. I've never tried it so I can't vouch.
  • kaekencoffee
    kaekencoffee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I buy ripe fruit (berries) and freeze them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Then, I add the frozen berries to the 0% fat plain greek yogurt (Liberte) and blend it with my hand blender. If it's tart, like a PP said, add no sugar added jam. It comes out like a frozen yogurt. Delish!
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is to take some plan no-fat Greek yogurt (I like Chiobani) and add a bit of liquid coconut oil, a small bit of maple syrup, and some thin sliced almonds. For a small container of yogurt, maybe 1/2 a tsp of oil, 1/4 tsp of maple syrup and 1/2 oz. of thin sliced almonds is about right for me but adjust it to your taste.

The coconut oil makes it taste very creamy like full fat yogurt except with healthy MCTs instead of saturated fat. A small amount of maple syrup with subtle smokiness really tones down the tartness without making it sweet (you can make it sweeter if you like, but I like my yogurt not very sweet). The almonds give it a nice crunch with some healthy EFAs.

Give it a shot. It sounds like it addresses your statements concerning Greek yogurt about texture, tartness, and still low on sugar.
  • shelbygt350h
    Options
    I add Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, or Walnuts (all unsalted of coarse) and alot of Ground Cinnamon...alot !! To keep the calories in range, my low cal. version is 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries, (frozen type thawed-less expensive) and alot of cinnamon. When I can afford the extra cal. I do 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 Tbsp. Pumpkin Seeds, 1 Tbsp. Sunflower Seeds and 1 Tbsp. Walnuts. The nuts and Seeds need to be stored in an air tight container in the Fridge after opening. Blueberries & Strawberries are lower in sugar content than the majority of Fruits...therefore you don't get the sugar cravings you would had you used Bananas or one with the high sugar content. ENJOY !
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like to add shaved almonds for texture and, when I have some on hand, berries for sweetness.

This exactly what I do and finally I have grown to love it and it is a true treat for me to it.
  • she_fit
    she_fit Posts: 36
    Options
    I add a sugar-free jello pudding mix (vanilla or cheesecake flavored) and use it as a fruit dip. Even my husband loves it!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say add almonds. I honestly really hate almonds in greek yoghurt, I like eating both separately. When I do have something in my greek yoghurt, I tend to add things like blueberries, strawberries and honey. :flowerforyou: Bananas are tasty in it too! And peanut butter!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just switched to plain last week (I always did the chobani flavored before). My favorite add-ins so far:

1/4 cup of Ola! No Nut Vanilla Granola and 1/4 cup blueberries
    Slivered almonds and honey