Fell off the wagon - what should I do next?

Options
Hello everyone,

Recently I've been very sick and unable to exercise. I kept eating under my calorie goal, and everything was going smoothly until I started to feel better.

As soon as I got my appetite back this Saturday, I started eating too much and much of it was junk food. I ate terribly on Saturday, Sunday AND Monday.

Now it's Tuesday, and as someone with binge eating disorder I'm feeling the need to overcompensate by cutting my calories.

Any advice from someone who has been in a similar situation would be helpful.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up and get back on the horse.

You *can* do this.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Burn the wagon. Then you won't have an excuse to fall off.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    A setback is just a setback, no need to give up completely! Remeber we all start fresh each day, just do the best you can to get back up on that horse & make today a great one!
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I like that. Torching the wagon right now.
  • PINKinquisition1908
    PINKinquisition1908 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This happens to all of us. Forget what happened and start new. Don't punish yourself. Don't do any weird over compenstation. Just start over. You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Just start over today. Making good choices and not overcompensating the other way. One day at a time.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Put what's happened in the past where it belongs today is a new day so start as you mean to go on good luck xx
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When you fall off a horse, you get back on and continue riding. When you fall of a bike, you get back on and continue riding. If you get off the trail while hiking, you turn around and go back, and continue down the trail. This is the same thing. Dust off and get back to it. Setbacks happen. It's how you treat those setbacks that determine success or failure. Giving up would be failure. Keep going.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Dont torch the wagon youll be stranded in the Sierra Nevadas then and have to resort to cannibalism.

You put the wheels back on make sure the ox'es are fed (your muscles) and keep moving foward. Don't cut back below your recommended calories because that will just set you up for another binge cycle.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    Get back on! Try to compensate for the over days by going under for a few days (not too much though). Try to get close to the calorie goal for the whole week.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Today I am purposely going to eat "heavy". I eat very low cal most of the time, and then choose random "heavy" days to help prevent metobolic changes. I've done heavy days several days in a row before, when I felt particularily hungry/tired.
    Think of those few days as metobolic resets. They really do help prevent a slow down in BMR that can result from low calorie diets.
  • doasyouwill
    Options
    Well..weight loss isn't something that happens very quickly. In fact, for most of us it's painfully slow. That being said, you did fall off the wagon; however, it's a really ****ing slow wagon and nothing much is stopping you from getting up and jumping right back on it.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    reverse-1361469896_jack_nicholson_deal_with_it.gif
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    No need to beat yourself up! We all have off days. You just have to make the decision if you want to turn it around now. You can't change what you did in the past but you can change what you will do in the future!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

That is badass. SO ON THAT.
  • bethFromDayton
    bethFromDayton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even try to compensate--as others have said, just start up again as if it never happened. You were sick :-(. You started eating your old way again :-(. But everyone makes mistakes and as hard as it is, you just pick yourself up and keep walking.

Overcompensation will just make you miserable--what you've been doing works, so let it keep working!

Good luck!
  • sjhalida
    sjhalida Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree!! Forgive yourself for those few days and get back to eating better today. When I have had slumps in the past it was due to not forgiving myself and that negative message gave me "permission" to continue doing badly. We all have set backs, don't let it deter you and don't go drastically the other way either. That won't be healthy for you!! You are awesome for admitting it and I have confidence you will continue on your journey and this will be but a small blip in the overall picture :-)
  • nadia712
    nadia712 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Picture yourself six months from now, and imagine you let this three day setback keep you from making progress toward your goals. You would look back and wish you hadn't, right? You can't change the past, but you can stop it from having an influence on your present. Have some self-compassion and let it go - start fresh, today, without feeling the need to "punish" yourself.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options

And grill some pineapple over the open flames. Screw the wagon.
  • bear73000
    bear73000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the posts. You will have this happen. It's part of life. You are already ahead now that you can see you feel off and admitted it too yourself. You just have to go back to what you were doing before.