Bored Runner

Options
I need some suggestions on what some of you do to "get out of your own head" while running. I do not enjoy running but it works for weight loss and I love getting involved with other runners for events. But I am bored senseless while running and that makes if feel like such drudgery. Music helps but isn't the real answer for me.

Anyone else doing anything different while running??? Audio books, language tapes, ?????

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I go running with my dog, so at least I feel like I'm multi-tasking as he gets his exercise!

I also find it's good for writing, daft as that sounds. Running sort of jiggles all the words in your head until they settle into a nice order. So if I have anything to write (a letter, my JustGiving blurb, a blog entry, whatever), I'll run first, then write it. You could try composing a poem!
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I saw a posting the other day about listening to audiobooks while running. I haven't tried it yet but I'm excited to try it. I never have time to read anymore with 2 little ones
  • evansbd
    evansbd Posts: 2
    Options
    Consider a sprint triathlon. That's my goal.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Download the "Zombies, Run!" app. Intersperses your playlist with a gripping post-apocalyptic storyline, and throws in random zombie attacks where you have to speed up to escape the horde.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    take some travellers with you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Consider doing something besides running. There are any number of infinite possibilities besides running that "work for weight loss." Actually, I don't recommend it, but you can absolutely lose weight without ever lifting a finger in exercise; if you're using the MFP method (assume you are) then you have a weight loss deficit built in and you should be eating back exercise calories anyway.

It never ceases to amaze me, the sheer number of people who go out and do crap they hate doing just because they think they have to do it. Go find something you enjoy doing and exercise for your fitness; use your diet for weight control.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Download the "Zombies, Run!" app. Intersperses your playlist with a gripping post-apocalyptic storyline, and throws in random zombie attacks where you have to speed up to escape the horde.

I like this idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I knew there had to be others out there with ideas!!!
  • Mimisam45
    Options
    Consider doing something besides running. There are any number of infinite possibilities besides running that "work for weight loss." Actually, I don't recommend it, but you can absolutely lose weight without ever lifting a finger in exercise; if you're using the MFP method (assume you are) then you have a weight loss deficit built in and you should be eating back exercise calories anyway.

It never ceases to amaze me, the sheer number of people who go out and do crap they hate doing just because they think they have to do it. Go find something you enjoy doing and exercise for your fitness; use your diet for weight control.

True. . . I love rollerblading but the trails are still "winter covered". I use running because it is efficient and, as mentioned, I love being able to sign up and run 5K's with my daughter and my co-workers. The boredom just makes it so difficult to get excited about a run!
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I think you should run only if you like it. But I love running and I totally get you wanting to keep up during group events. For weight loss, I totally think running is NOT the best option. I started running and lost no weight until I added yoga and got strict with my diet so that's why I think running isn't a good weight loss option. I also think you can lose muscle unless you do other things like weight training, or cross training. Anyways I listen to music and I pick new routes when running so I don't get bored. Do you run on a treadmill or outside?
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I listen to a lot of podcasts.. also trail running is much more interesting than road or treadmill.

I would also suggest cross training frequently to keep running fun
  • Mimisam45
    Options
    I think you should run only if you like it. But I love running and I totally get you wanting to keep up during group events. For weight loss, I totally think running is NOT the best option. I started running and lost no weight until I added yoga and got strict with my diet so that's why I think running isn't a good weight loss option. I also think you can lose muscle unless you do other things like weight training, or cross training. Anyways I listen to music and I pick new routes when running so I don't get bored. Do you run on a treadmill or outside?

Being winter I ahve been running mostly on indoor track and tread, now trying to do most outside. The outside is what I find most boring! The tread (deadmill) is bad but I have the television to keep me distracted. The indoor track has some pretty decent "eye candy" to look at as it runs around upper level of the gym!! Maybe once spring hits and everything isn't so dirty and gray, outside will be more appealing. . . . Music does help and I probably wouldn't even think about running without it, just was hoping for some ideas on something else that would also be distracting.

I also weight train and do several group classes a week at the gym and have adopted a clean diet. By clean I mean no sugar, wheat or processed foods; 99% of the time ! So I don't use running as my only action towards weight loss. I realize it takes a combination of activites for overall fitness and it keeps it fun, I just don't find running necessarily fun!
  • Mimisam45
    Options
    I listen to a lot of podcasts.. also trail running is much more interesting than road or treadmill.

I would also suggest cross training frequently to keep running fun

I will have to look at podcasts for distraction and trail running sounds fun too! Thanks
  • lorichri
    lorichri Posts: 8
    Options
    i have an app called Zombies,run. if you lose down or get bored zombies (sound more like it ) start chasing you. it my go to app
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I like running...it's just that i run on the same routes too and get bored. Hmm...i sometimes go with a friends so it is more interesting or just talk with someone...i got my hands-free and phone with me so i just chat while running....and i kind of don't get more tired of talking... guess i'm used to it.
    Maybe go on different routes :) and so it won't be so monotone
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to feel exactly the same way and could barely run a half mile without checking my watch. I've found that listening to different music works well for me - I'll have an Eminem day where I'm trying speed versus my Dave Matthews days where I go for more distance or time....mixing up the music instead of having one playlist makes me more excited to run as I want to hear the songs. Also changing up surfaces, trying out trails that involve mixing in hiking and avoiding limbs and rocks makes me a lot more engaged with the run. I never, ever use a treadmill because I feel like a hamster on one :-) Maybe also try the Runtastic feature that cheers you on as you make good pace or need the extra boost.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options

Being winter I ahve been running mostly on indoor track and tread, now trying to do most outside. The outside is what I find most boring! The tread (deadmill) is bad but I have the television to keep me distracted. The indoor track has some pretty decent "eye candy" to look at as it runs around upper level of the gym!! Maybe once spring hits and everything isn't so dirty and gray, outside will be more appealing. . . . Music does help and I probably wouldn't even think about running without it, just was hoping for some ideas on something else that would also be distracting.

I also weight train and do several group classes a week at the gym and have adopted a clean diet. By clean I mean no sugar, wheat or processed foods; 99% of the time ! So I don't use running as my only action towards weight loss. I realize it takes a combination of activites for overall fitness and it keeps it fun, I just don't find running necessarily fun!

Oh well you'll love it when it gets nice out and you can get outdoors more. I hate running inside. Good luck girl!
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Where do you run? Always the same route? A treadmill?

I mix it up, using a bunch of different combinations to create routes in my neighborhood, but I also drive to different trails sometimes just to try something completely different.
  • luftballoons33
    luftballoons33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think running with someone helps a lot. Tonight I was so confused when my mom stopped to turn around during our run. We'd gotten so into our conversation, we made it to the halfway point so quickly and easily I hadn't even noticed. I didn't realize it was already time to turn around.

But what helps the most is that I'm training for another half marathon. Because my long runs are getting longer, it makes my shorter 3-4 mile runs seem short. So this might sound weird, but maybe try a longer run once a week or so. Maybe it will make your shorter runs seem quicker and less boring!