Amitriptyline

Options
Hi all,

I've been on amitriptyline for nearly a year for my migraines, but unfortunately these have caused most of my weight gain. I'm on as low as a dosage as I can take and was wondering if anyone else is on them and were they still able to loose weight?

Thanks,

Fi

Replies

• terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been on amitriptyline for nearly a year for my migraines, but unfortunately these have caused most of my weight gain. I'm on as low as a dosage as I can take and was wondering if anyone else is on them and were they still able to loose weight?

Thanks,

Fi

Do you find that it controls your migraines? I was on it but had horrid night terrors so eventually weaned myself off them. I wasn't trying to lose weight then though so unfort can't answer your question but was wondering about the migraines.

I get bad migraines too but not as bad as when I weighed a lot more, luckily.

Fiona:)
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    HI Fional:

I identify with your pain. About 8-10 years ago Amitriptyline was the first of MANY drugs they tried me on to "prevent" (ha!) the migraines. I gained weight immediately and it did nothing for my migraines. After awhile I was put on Effexor and that helped control them a bit, but also helped me lose a little weight and I was able to lose or maintain my weight while on that. Nearly everyone I talked to had the same weight gain issue with amitriptyline.

Lots of luck!
  • shoequeen9
    Options
    Unfortunately weight gain is one of the more common side effects of amyltryptamine. I have been on this drug for my migraines as well as a host of others, and found that I was not able to keep my weight stable with any of them. I either gained or lost but always had other side effects that were even worse than the weight issues, so now am working on lifestyle changes that are actually helping (diet, exercise, more sleep, etc.). I am more tuned in to my triggers, and when I can't avoid them and do have an occasional migraine, I still have drugs that work to treat the individual headache rather than putting drugs in my body every day. I am pleased to say that the more weight I have lost, the less headaches I have been getting.