BREASTFEEDING??????

Options
I recently signed up for myfitnesspal because I was not losing any of my baby weight. She is 14 weeks and I have not lost any weight since I had her. I am breastfeeding and I am wondering if I should up my calories a little from what myfitnesspal says because of the breastfeeding. I have not been a member for a week yet and I did a mid-week weight in and I have lost 2.2 lbs already. What are your thoughts?:ohwell:

Replies

• Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry and your milk supply isn't going down, then there is no need to eat more. Just make sure the calories that you are intaking are good healthy ones---so your milk has all the nutrients!! :) Good job on the 2.2 pounds!!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    yes I would up your calories, if its been less then a week you might not notice a drop in your supply right away as its probably still trying to regulate itself. the last thing you want is it to drop, as then you'll have to work harder to get it back and you will probably have a very fussy baby.

Kellymom is a GREAT breastfeeding resource. It helped me alot.

here is what they say about breastfeeding and weightloss

While nursing, you should not consume less than 1500-1800 calories per day, and most women should stay at the high end of this range. Some mothers will require much more than this, but studies show that going below this number may put supply at risk

Here is the link if you want to read more about it
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

congrats on your little one, your weight loss and breastfeeding and welcome to MFP. Feel free to add me if you need a friend.

Kim :flowerforyou:
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Just be careful about your milk supply. I cut calories when my last baby was 6 months old and had no problems, but I know some people have a decrease in their supply when they cut calories and baby is exclusively nursing. I'd say don't worry about it if your baby seems to be getting enough. And if you are exercising definately eat those calories back. Maybe don't try to go past a deficit of 500 cals a day, which is what you get if you set your goal as 1 lb a week. I did that but lost more because of the nursing. Just be careful to guard that milk supply, you can always lose weight later but baby needs to gain right now!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'll do a search later and post some of the previous threads on the subject. Check out my diary. You'll see how I do it, this might help. Remember though, that I'm maintaining, AND I'm producing enough milk for two babies.

If I were you, I would take yourself out of a deficit on MFP-eat your "maintenance" calories. Then, allow nursing to take you back into the deficit. That way there's no guesswork involved. And it's easier to adjust when you start baby on solids.

By the way-if you want to just add the calories to your diary, look for "breastfeeding mom" in the food database. Then choose how many calories you want to "correct" your diet by. I added fats/carbs/proteins and a few other nutritional aspects in negative increments by what is in the AVERAGE woman's milk. That way, you can replace what is being used for milk in the correct proportions.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat, hope this helps...
    You can go to "Exercise"and create a new entry (just like with "food"if you can't find something)I listed mine under "cardio"and 450 calories for 60 minutes-just to get it on there,and it does the nutritional breakdown for your Food Diary.You have to add it everyday,but you will get used to it.
    Processed foods are very calorically expensive,it is easy to burn through say 1750-so try to limit them as much as possible.Oatmeal is boring,but you can add raisins,nuts,fruit or fruit and it is very filling and great for your production.Drink as much water as possible-a gallon a day if you can handle it-you will need it.The more you exercise,the more you can eat...don't beat yourself up if you get hungry and go over-take it day by day...baby needs nourishment and is the most important .That weight will come off,but not over night-slow and steady.
    As soon as possible,try getting baby into a jogging stroller...It may take a couple of weeks,a few tears and fussy fits,but they will get used to it. Start walking,and run when you are ready.This will melt those pounds off-don't get discouraged.Enjoy every precious moment,they are only small for such a short time.
    Good luck,and God bless you and your sweet little baby!
    :flowerforyou:
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Girl, don't you just love it here? Good information you got. Don't forget, I have a jogger here at the house. :happy: