Dog as a running partner

hkystar
hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I am hoping to start the C25K soon and I am thinking that my dog will make the perfect running buddy. However I think I need to get him a different collar for running or do things a little differently for him. Right now for walks we use a Gentle leader harness to keep him from yanking but what does everyone use when they take their dogs running with them?

Replies

• daninicole
    daninicole Posts: 4 Member
    I run with my border collie quite a bit and we just use a regular old collar and leash. I've seen a few people using something similar to the gentle leader collar, but harnesses can be a problem sometimes if you are walking/running quite a bit. Good Luck!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    I don't run with my dog, but maybe some day soon! I see you have a little one, like me. I think a regular harness would be good and there are some hands-free leashes you can attach to yourself and have your arms free would be good for both of you. I bet your baby would love it!
  • emmylou13
    emmylou13 Posts: 46
    I have two big puppies (love them) ... an american bulldog and boxer mix... I use the gentle lead with the boxer and a regular collar with bandit... I run with both of them together and the BF takes them rollerblading... there are some hands free leashes but those make it hard to control the dogs ... if for example they see a squirl... haha... good luck! they are the best and most motivating running partners!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I will run trails with my dog. She is so well behaved that I don't leash her.
    When my girlfriend run/walks with her, its usually where many more people & dogs are around, she's leashed with a regular collar and one of those retractable leashes to allow for variations in speed & brief stops to sniff.
  • nabramson
    nabramson Posts: 12
    I run fine with my 30 lb dog in a gentle lead for about 2 miles at a time.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    I run a 4.5 mile square in the rural country (where I live in MT), my 2 dogs and the neighbor dog go every time, I do not leash any of them because nobody is around. My 2 furry kids go chase deer etc; and the neighbor dog runs right by my side, we all come back together through out the run! Love em with me!!!
This discussion has been closed.