Women with muscles.

Options
2»

Replies

• BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love women with muscle and women that lift heavy!! It kills me when I hear that women that lift heavy are just going to bulk up and that's a total lie... Build muscle-- yes, of course. But lifting heavy is not going to turn a normal woman into a hulking bodybuilding... People with that mind set need to do their research and learn what they are taking about... To all those women that are throwing weight around- its sexy! KEEP IT UP!!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Realistic expectations are also important. Like what is your goal look? Do you have a photo?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have got some definition after doing INSANITY and will be starting a P90x and Insanity hybrid this week.I got good muscle definition with P90x when I did it the first time.My question is,I would really like to have more muscle mass,lower my body fat percentage and get that "ripped" look.

So all you women out there,with amazing muscles or are at the stage of acquiring those muscles,how are you doing it?
    I look forward to hearing from you.Thanks in advance.

The results you want would be best achieved by adopting a heavy lifting regimen in the gym. You're making it hard on yourself by committing to home DVD-based programs that are inefficient by nature.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I just finished P90x and started Stronglifts 5x5 last week. I do an Insanity DVD a couple times a week for cardio at this point. I can't quit cardio altogether. I just can't. I like being aerobically fit.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I just finished P90x and started Stronglifts 5x5 last week. I do an Insanity DVD a couple times a week for cardio at this point. I can't quit cardio altogether. I just can't. I like being aerobically fit.

Quitting cardio should not be done of course. But when doing any sort of lifting regimen you need to understand not all types of cardio are "compatible" you could say. High intensity stuff like Insanity is a no because they are very strenuous in and of itself and allows your muscles a chance to rest in between workouts is a MUST. So whatever form of cardio you do should be very short in duration if high intensity (such as 15 minute jump rope sessions) or longer durations of lower/moderate intensity. But high intensity + fairly long duration while doing full body lifting, not a good idea.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a 5 minute warmup, 10 minute stretch and then 20 minute intervals. I've done the whole program before, plus I have other more intense training experience. If it gets too much, I can quit. Thanks.
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just started the New Rules for Women. Any advice or suggestions? I want to build muscle (obviously) and get stronger. How did you work the additional calories?
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have got some definition after doing INSANITY and will be starting a P90x and Insanity hybrid this week.I got good muscle definition with P90x when I did it the first time.My question is,I would really like to have more muscle mass,lower my body fat percentage and get that "ripped" look.

So all you women out there,with amazing muscles or are at the stage of acquiring those muscles,how are you doing it?

The results you want would be best achieved by adopting a heavy lifting regimen in the gym. You're making it hard on yourself by committing to home DVD-based programs that are inefficient by nature.

I used to go to the gym and lift weights there and do pump classes.I can't go back and join the gym just now since my 2 year old and 6 month old are both going through a clingy phase.I did a trial program but the kids didn't take to it so well.The only reason why I'm doing home based workouts are because my husband is home after work or they are asleep.Otherwise.I'd be there.I love the gym!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I used to go to the gym and lift weights there and do pump classes.I can't go back and join the gym just now since my 2 year old and 6 month old are both going through a clingy phase.I did a trial program but the kids didn't take to it so well.The only reason why I'm doing home based workouts are because my husband is home after work or they are asleep.Otherwise.I'd be there.I love the gym!

If that's the case then you'll have to make due with dumbbell based programs. Understand though that building muscle and burning fat don't really happen at the same time as they require two completely different nutritional patterns. Building muscle requires a surplus/excess of calories while fat burning requires a deficit.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I just started the New Rules for Women. Any advice or suggestions? I want to build muscle (obviously) and get stronger. How did you work the additional calories?

I'm not sure I get your question. What do you mean by "work the additional calories?"
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    crossfit!
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    Invest in some dumbbells and a bench for home. I do most of my strength training at home. Buy various weights. There is a ton of DB training tips on Bodybuilding.com. I modified Jamie Easons 12 week program to work for me. I lift when my daugther is napping or after she goes to bed. Dosen't have to cost much either. Bought most of my gear on Craig's List and used sporting goods stores. Good Luck!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I love plain old fashioned weightlifting, use to powerlift in my youth, best thing I've ever done for myself, I hit each bodypart once a week 16-20 sets per bodypart, and go heavy 6-8 reps.. Don't forget to supplement with protein shake within 30 minutes of working out, eat lean protein & veggies..lot's of water....
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    :heart: these threads
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just started my 5th round of p90x... i finished 4 rounds in 1 year time span.... i love p90x. There is nothing wrong with doing at home DVD workouts, i am in the best shape of my life. I dont have the option to go to a gym so i make do and its working out just fine. Also i like being able to follow along with a program. I do add Deadlifts on my leg days now and only do part of the legs & back video because of that... just trying to add other things into my p90x since i have done it for so long.

again diet is key to losing the bodyfat... make sure you are eating enough to fuel your workouts... i cycle my calories so i eat more on my lifting days and less on the cardio rest days so that im not gaining fat well eating more.... its been working for me.
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories a day, and in the book it suggested i eat 2100 calories! I thought that was a little much and have increased my calorie intake to 1500 calories. It would have been too hard for me to eat that many calories in a healthy and clean way. So far it is working for me. I am really listening to my body as far as if i get hungry I'll eat a healthy snack.
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    ThisNewFitGirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    FREE WEIGHTS! I lift free weight 3X a week. It speeds up my metabolism and really kicks my muscle deffinition up a notch. I started out with lighter weights then slowly started moving up to 10's then 15's so on and so forth. I set a goal each month and try my best to acheive it. I target a new muscle group each time and go go go till i'm sore. It's a great feeling to know that you're a strong female both mentall and Physically. Good luck!

Anyone feel free to add me as a friend. I'd love to hear from all you strong women out there!
  • Jerbear1985
    Jerbear1985 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I lift 4-5x a week and I will do insanity (month 1 DVDs) for probably 3 nights a week for cardio. It has been working well thus far.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Eat Clean. Lift Heavy. I also do calisthenics like Insanity but at my best I was lifting with Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer.