My TDEE, Help???

Options
Ok, I'm getting so confused with all this calorie stuff! I feel like it is stressing me out and afraid it will make me stray...I am a stay at home Mom, I do a cardio workout 1 hour a day for 6 days a week, then the rest of the day I spend cleaning, doing laundry dishes, and a work on my craft show projects, I wouldn't say that I sit for a majority of the day but I am up and down all day. When I signed up for MFP I chose the sedentary lifestyle because that's what is was, at that point I never exercised at all. So right now MFP says my suggested calorie intake is 1380 and when I workout I burn 677 calories, am I supposed to eat those back? Sometimes I eat back a few but most days I don't so that means I net around 700. I wonder if I should switch my lifestyle to lightly active and stop logging my workouts everyday or if I should just keep doing what I am doing. I tried to read the article "In place of a road map" but it was hard to read (coding all over it) but I did go to the fat2fit website and calculate my TDEE which said for sedentary I should be consuming around 1770 calories per day and for lightly active I should be consuming 2030. I am so confused on what to do!!!! I know its really bad to be netting a low amount of calories but is it really better to be eating the exact same amount that I burn back? Wouldn't that be equal to no exercise? I still have 110lbs to loose and in the past 3 weeks I have only lost a little over a pound each week, I know that is still good, I just want to make sure I am doing the right things.

Replies

• ZETAZEN
    ZETAZEN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    MFP has a NET goal of 1380, not an overall goal of 1380. You must eat more and don't go below net 1200 calories per day.

Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned.

Therefore, eventually your body will stall and you'll hit a plateau because you're not eating enough to sustain it. I would recommend you eat up to 1770, still work out and don't go below 1380 net calories. You'll continue to lose. A pound a week is good. Yes it takes longer, but it won't matter. Quick weight loss is a set up for failure.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you follow the MFP plan, which includes eating back your exercise calories, you'll be fine. You should not eat like a sedentary person if you are not.

If you are not sure of your calorie burns during exercise, you may not want to eat all the calories MFP gives you. But you should eat at least half of them.
  • Bethnevergivesup
    Options

I would recommend you eat up to 1770, still work out and don't go below 1380 net calories.

Thanks for your advice, I think I am always over thinking everything! If I eat 1770 and log my workout at 677 calories burned I would have a net 1093. So should I be eating 1877? Then it would be right at 1200. But then on my day off each week only eat the 1380 MFP recommends? I'm sorry I must sound like a total lunatic/idiot, I just want to do it right so that way I CAN do it. If you know what I mean.
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For the OP.

I started out it sounds, much like you

Once I added exercise, I stalled because I was calorie starved. I have, just this past week figured out my BMR and TDEE and have raised my calorie input accordingly.

My TDEE is 2539, I burn on avg 650 calories in the gym, my net caloric intake after factoring in my gym burn is around 1600 a day
  • Bethnevergivesup
    Options
    If you follow the MFP plan, which includes eating back your exercise calories, you'll be fine. You should not eat like a sedentary person if you are not.

If you are not sure of your calorie burns during exercise, you may not want to eat all the calories MFP gives you. But you should eat at least half of them.

Ok so on the days that I workout your saying that I should eat at least 1770? Then on my off day just eat the 1380? Is there a way to tell just how many calories I have burned? I do a Aerobic Video and just log it as Aerobic-General for 50 mins.
  • Bethnevergivesup
    Options
    For the OP.

I started out it sounds, much like you

Once I added exercise, I stalled because I was calorie starved. I have, just this past week figured out my BMR and TDEE and have raised my calorie input accordingly.

My TDEE is 2539, I burn on avg 650 calories in the gym, my net caloric intake after factoring in my gym burn is around 1600 a day

Thanks! I never knew I was supposed to be eating back my calories...I thought less calories the more weight loss. Now I am figuring out that is not the case.
  • jmparis65
    Options
    Once you get below a net calorie intake of 1200, that is when you can very easily stall and plateau

Generally, it is not healthy for anything long term below the 1200 calorie level.

I am still learning as I go as well
  • Bethnevergivesup
    Options
    Once you get below a net calorie intake of 1200, that is when you can very easily stall and plateau

Generally, it is not healthy for anything long term below the 1200 calorie level/

Thanks again! I am going to start adjusting calorie intake accordingly! I am just afraid that I will start going in the wrong direction. :(
  • jmparis65
    Options
    You might in a small way for a short period, that's where I'm at right now.

I expect that this will turn around.

It's not fat I am adding, most likely it's muscle, with enough energy and protein, the body will begin to build properly.
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Ok so on the days that I workout your saying that I should eat at least 1770? Then on my off day just eat the 1380? Is there a way to tell just how many calories I have burned? I do a Aerobic Video and just log it as Aerobic-General for 50 mins.

I purchased a Polar F4 heart rate monitor off of Amazon a few weeks ago. I LOVE IT!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat back your exercise calories.

As for the TDEE thing, if you ate back your exercise calories on here you would be eating pretty much the same amount as you would if you ate 20% below your TDEE. They are just different methods of calculating, so if it confuses you , stick with what you are doing, keep your MFP set at sedentary, and log and eat back those exercise calories.

I would recommend getting a HRM however, to make sure you have accurate calorie burns.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

A heart rate monitor is probably most accurate measurement of calories used during aerobic exercise, but even they are not 100% accurate. But your counts don't have to be 100% accurate for the plan to work. You can eat the same every day if you want, or eat more on exercise days. Just make the average come out to your goal of 1380 net.

For instance if you ate 1550-1600 every day you will still lose. If you 1380 on sedentary days and 1700-1800 on workout days, you'd stll lose. You just need to keep a deficit on average.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php

This website has a lot of really good information and calculators. The roadmap is fine, but very confusing. The calculator above, is a little easier to understand. Although it doesn't account for your body size (i.e. small boned vs large boned). But, it gives you a good idea and easier to understand.

Two weeks ago, I did the numbers and decided to up my calories from 1270 (MFP recommended) to 1560 (using the calculator) and I sometimes eat back my exercise calories. when I was at 1270, I always back my exercise calories. I was ALWAYS hungry at 1270 calories; now at 1560, I am not hungry all the time. I have continued to lose the weight. Last week I lost 2.4 lbs and already I am close to that this week. You will be fine!
  • Bethnevergivesup
    Options
    http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php

This website has a lot of really good information and calculators. The roadmap is fine, but very confusing. The calculator above, is a little easier to understand. Although it doesn't account for your body size (i.e. small boned vs large boned). But, it gives you a good idea and easier to understand.

Two weeks ago, I did the numbers and decided to up my calories from 1270 (MFP recommended) to 1560 (using the calculator) and I sometimes eat back my exercise calories. when I was at 1270, I always back my exercise calories. I was ALWAYS hungry at 1270 calories; now at 1560, I am not hungry all the time. I have continued to lose the weight. Last week I lost 2.4 lbs and already I am close to that this week. You will be fine!

What calorie deficit do you use?
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this thread. Very helpful! Thanks everyone!
  • ZETAZEN
    ZETAZEN Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I would recommend you eat up to 1770, still work out and don't go below 1380 net calories.

Thanks for your advice, I think I am always over thinking everything! If I eat 1770 and log my workout at 677 calories burned I would have a net 1093. So should I be eating 1877? Then it would be right at 1200. But then on my day off each week only eat the 1380 MFP recommends? I'm sorry I must sound like a total lunatic/idiot, I just want to do it right so that way I CAN do it. If you know what I mean.

Actually, you sound as if you're interested in learning what's right for your body.

I had to learn this the hard way. I stayed below net 1200 calories. And I lost a lot of weight, but then it stalled. And I was confused and unhappy because the scale wasn't moving. Then I started researching and learning about TDEE and NET calories, etc. like you! I now eat around 1622 kcals a day and going to move it up soon. I don't stress myself about exercise. I do it when I can and I usually burn around 400 using a HRM watch. Remember FOOD IS FUEL!!!!!

Instead of watching the scale. I do measurements. The scale can not measure your fat loss unless you have a scale that does body fat percentage. Fat loss is more important. The scale weighs everything - bones, fat, muscle, organs etc. But you're really not interested in all of that. You're really interested in how much fat you've lost. Use a measuring tape, that will help you more so than a scale. I love the fact my wrist is now 6.5 inches rather than 8. But a scale would never be able to tell me that!
  • Bethnevergivesup
    Options

Actually, you sound as if you're interested in learning what's right for your body.

I had to learn this the hard way. I stayed below net 1200 calories. And I lost a lot of weight, but then it stalled. And I was confused and unhappy because the scale wasn't moving. Then I started researching and learning about TDEE and NET calories, etc. like you! I now eat around 1622 kcals a day and going to move it up soon. I don't stress myself about exercise. I do it when I can and I usually burn around 400 using a HRM watch. Remember FOOD IS FUEL!!!!!

Instead of watching the scale. I do measurements. The scale can not measure your fat loss unless you have a scale that does body fat percentage. Fat loss is more important. The scale weighs everything - bones, fat, muscle, organs etc. But you're really not interested in all of that. You're really interested in how much fat you've lost. Use a measuring tape, that will help you more so than a scale. I love the fact my wrist is now 6.5 inches rather than 8. But a scale would never be able to tell me that!

Thank you! I am going to start making sure on my workout days that I have a net calorie intake of over 1200. I really appreciate all your help. And your absolutely right about the weight on the scale is only half of it I did take my measurements for the first time a couple weeks ago and will do it once a month so I can see those results as well! :)
  • nczuczu
    Options

What calorie deficit do you use?

I am going between 20-25% deficit. I often don't eat back my exercise calories. But most importantly...I am no longer starving and obsessed about food! That is why I knew I had to up my calories!
  • nczuczu
    Options
    I'd like to add that you are a beautiful young lady and you should be so proud of yourself for making this step now. I wish I had taken better care of myself when I was younger and my kids were young.
  • Bethnevergivesup
    Options
    I'd like to add that you are a beautiful young lady and you should be so proud of yourself for making this step now. I wish I had taken better care of myself when I was younger and my kids were young.

Thank you! Seriously, for everything! :smile: