Losing fat and Gaining muscle at the same time?

Options
I am confused about people saying you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. I keep hearing this and it has not been my experience. Right now I do a pretty intense workout schedule that consist of boxing, crossfit, and weight training. I am overweight but am losing inches and am noticing my muscles are starting to pop out as well. I mean my leg muscles are really starting to show. I flex my quads and there is some good definition. Same goes for my whole body. So I feel like I am gaining muscle and losing fat. Whats the deal with that?

Replies

• mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    your muscles were hiding under fat.
    The fat is receding.
    your existing muscle is no longer as well hidden.
  • suecan2
    suecan2 Posts: 45
    Options
    you are probably losing inches. muscle definition is more attractive than flab no matter what weight
  • mili5726
    Options
    Do you really think my muscles were that defined though? I know I am losing inches and that in turn will allow me to see my muscles, but I am starting to see really defined muscles, especially in my legs.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Do you really think my muscles were that defined though? I know I am losing inches and that in turn will allow me to see my muscles, but I am starting to see really defined muscles, especially in my legs.

Muscle definition IS a lack of fat.

Your muscles were always the same shape.
  • mili5726
    Options
    I know not everyone is the same and will not have the same experience. I think I need to stay off of these message boards. They seem to over complicate things.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    your muscles were hiding under fat.
    The fat is receding.
    your existing muscle is no longer as well hidden.

This.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I know not everyone is the same and will not have the same experience. I think I need to stay off of these message boards. They seem to over complicate things.

How so? I mean, yes... I think it a lot of cases people over-complicate things, so I agree with you from a very general standpoint. But how does people over complicating things relate to your post about fat loss and muscle gain?
  • mili5726
    Options
    I guess it does not really relate, I was just saying in general if I look at these boards I always come out out more confused than anything from so much conflicting advice. This would have not even been an issue for me if I would not have been reading these boards and then all of a sudden becoming worried about it. I do say that every week though and still come back.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    In order for your body to gain muscle it needs a surplus of calories. When you lose fat your muscles become more prominent making it seem like you gain muscle. But congrats anyways!
  • mili5726
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I had some nice sexy muscles all along hiding under that fat all these years.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I guess it does not really relate, I was just saying in general if I look at these boards I always come out out more confused than anything from so much conflicting advice. This would have not even been an issue for me if I would not have been reading these boards and then all of a sudden becoming worried about it. I do say that every week though and still come back.

I don't get it, what are you actually worried about? In the long run, what is the difference between gaining muscle or not gaining muscle as long as you like the result? Would one of the two options make you change your workout?
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most of the posts here - your body DOES have a surplus of calories - stored as fat. For someone with considerable fat mass who is eating at a moderate deficit, it is quite possible to build a small amount of muscle while simultaneously reducing fat mass. That's part of what the metabolised fat is being used for - it doesn't just get vaporised away when you work out.

For those with less fat mass to begin with, gaining muscle mass is much more difficult without eating a caloric surplus. But body fat is just stored calories, and a beginning muscle builder can certainly utilise stored fat as an energy source for that purpose.

Consumed calories are not the only ones our bodies have available.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most of the posts here - your body DOES have a surplus of calories - stored as fat. For someone with considerable fat mass who is eating at a moderate deficit, it is quite possible to build a small amount of muscle while simultaneously reducing fat mass. That's part of what the metabolised fat is being used for - it doesn't just get vaporised away when you work out.

For those with less fat mass to begin with, gaining muscle mass is much more difficult without eating a caloric surplus. But body fat is just stored calories, and a beginning muscle builder can certainly utilise stored fat as an energy source for that purpose.

This...

And also if you just start lifting you can have "beginners gain"... Where for the first couple of months(?) you can build muscle because you do have the storred resources to do it. Also remember, if you were heavy, you may have LOTS of muscle. It takes a lot of muscle to move around a 400+ person, and if you diet correctly, you do not lose a significant amount of this. Lifting early is the BEST way to retain as much of that developed muscle as you can.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    In order for your body to gain muscle it needs a surplus of calories. When you lose fat your muscles become more prominent making it seem like you gain muscle. But congrats anyways!

No. I am pretty sure you can gain muscle while losing fat. I have seen it in athletes who work to get in better shape. Someone on here once explained, in answer to this question, that if you aren't eating much, in order to lose weight, your fat makes up for the shortage. Ergo, you are not really in a calorie deficit as far as your muscles are concerned. It kinda makes sense.

Oops! just saw the posts above. I guess I am redundant.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Does anyone have any studies or references to support the "fat will make up for the deficit" beliefs?
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options

This...

And also if you just start lifting you can have "beginners gain"... Where for the first couple of months(?) you can build muscle because you do have the storred resources to do it. Also remember, if you were heavy, you may have LOTS of muscle. It takes a lot of muscle to move around a 400+ person, and if you diet correctly, you do not lose a significant amount of this. Lifting early is the BEST way to retain as much of that developed muscle as you can.

This is my experience. Have always been a big fat strong guy. Now I am 40 lbs lighter, but can lift just as much as before.

Haven't gained any big strength (beyond some inital beginner gains), but for a 1000 cal deficit and daily heavy cardio (with only eating back half burned) and the weight loss I am seeing, while staying strong, things are working out. Plus, seeing some new (old) muscle under the fat is good news too!!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

This...

This is my experience. Have always been a big fat strong guy. Now I am 40 lbs lighter, but can lift just as much as before.

Haven't gained any big strength (beyond some inital beginner gains), but for a 1000 cal deficit and daily heavy cardio (with only eating back half burned) and the weight loss I am seeing, while staying strong, things are working out. Plus, seeing some new (old) muscle under the fat is good news too!!

strength gains do not equal muscle gains.