Sleep Apnea Headaches?

Options
I have never been diagnosed with sleep apnea but I am beginning to wonder if my daily morning headaches are as a result. For the past week now, I wake up with a dull headache, usually in the front (sometimes extends to the temples) and I feel "foggy". Like I fully haven't woken up yet. The headache usually lasts throughout the day but will go away if I take a Motrin. Sometimes, not always, I go to bed with one. But it starts all over in the morning once I wake up.

I started the nicotine patch on 2/22 and yes I sleep with it. I get very vivid dreams and often wake up around 3 or 4am. I know this may be disrupting my sleep cycle and perhaps causing the headaches.

I will ask my doctor about this @ my next visit in four weeks after I get my results from my bloodwork to include my TSH and T4 (thyroid) count and my ultrasound on my thyroid.

Or it could be from stress. I'm stressed the F&^% out from my job.

Anyone else get these headaches when they wake up?

Replies

• Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had trouble with your sinuses? I never used to have a problem but yeah, going to bed and in the mornings at the front of the skull (sometimes at the back of the head but most people its the front, behind the nose or eyes or a bit above). If it feels like pressure or throbbing it could be your sinuses.

But I'm no doctor, I'm just speaking from experience
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I used to have these all the time, they went away with better habits, I used to binge eat in the evenings, or I'd wake up at 2am and eat. After about 30lbs lost it got way better. Sleep apnea could definitely be a culprit, I'm sort of an expert, one of my product categories that I sell is cpap supplies, filters, tubing and masks.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Could be bruxism.
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Do you snore? Dead giveaway for sleep apnea. Your doc can prescribe you a sleep study to be sure.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm not a professional, but speaking from my own experiences with sleep apnea it sounds like it could be a possibility. But usually sleep apnea is accompanied by a few other signs such as loud snoring, dry mouth (as if you slept with your mouth open), sleepiness during the day and never feeling quite rested. I used to actually fall asleep during conversations and at the most random moments. The headaches upon waking up were always present but then again I also have problematic sinuses.Also keep in mind since you quit smoking you may just be going through nicotine withdrawal even with the patches.

The only way to tell for sure if it's sleep apnea is to have your doctor refer you to a sleep study for a proper diagnosis.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mark!

I want a medical device/supplies job! :)

Yes I do have some weight to lose, hence why I am here and taking up yoga. I am hoping with weight loss and better eating habits, this can subside.

I do have sinus problems. I'm allergic to dust, pet dander, feather ect. I haven't been sick all season but I have also been waking up with more snot than usually and sometimes bloody. YUCK
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I will be very surprised if its not a direct result of the patch.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I will be very surprised if its not a direct result of the patch.

^^

I had sleep apnea, i got to give back my machine because I lost weight and stopped snoring. Never had any headaches I would associate with SA though.
  • rell2k13
    rell2k13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not a professional, but speaking from my own experiences with sleep apnea it sounds like it could be a possibility. But usually sleep apnea is accompanied by a few other signs such as loud snoring, dry mouth (as if you slept with your mouth open), sleepiness during the day and never feeling quite rested. I used to actually fall asleep during conversations and at the most random moments. The headaches upon waking up were always present but then again I also have problematic sinuses.Also keep in mind since you quit smoking you may just be going through nicotine withdrawal even with the patches.

The only way to tell for sure if it's sleep apnea is to have your doctor refer you to a sleep study for a proper diagnosis.

This was me...My CPAP made all the difference in the world...
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

This was me...My CPAP made all the difference in the world...

Ditto... this was totally me and I fought it for a couple of years, but my BIPAP makes my life manageable. I'm hoping to be like Randy and lose the machine if I lose the right amout of weight.

Def talk to your Dr. Sleep studies can be done at home now. Sooo much easier than going to the facility, but either way you'll know for sure!

ps Snoring is a huge indicator... What does your family say about you snoring???:grumble: