Dumbbell complexes

Options
Has anyone ever done dumbbell complexes? I just started today. I was trying to do 6 exercises. 6 sets of 10 reps. I ALMOST got through 5 sets.

:(

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I never heard of the term before now, but I think I've seen some folks at the gym do this...I thought they were a custom circuit superset program. I'll have to look into this more, thanks for mentioning it.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use complex training weekly as part of my conditioning. However, I use a barbell and not a dumbbell.

I have never done that many rep/sets with 6 lifts with the complexes I do though
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The term I'm familiar with is Supersets. I've done them in the past when pressed for time.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use complex training weekly as part of my conditioning. However, I use a barbell and not a dumbbell.

I have never done that many rep/sets with 6 lifts with the complexes I do though

Yeah, I'm doing a pathetically light weight, but it's still very difficult for me.

I definitely prefer just lifting to cardio, but I feel like I kind of want to challenge myself and what I think I am capable of.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    are these sort of like mini circuit training sets?

theres something like this in the asylum strength dvd. but its like a progression, he ands an exercise and/or reps as the work out moves forward.

its actually kind of a cardio/strength thing
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm doing a pathetically light weight, but it's still very difficult for me.

I definitely prefer just lifting to cardio, but I feel like I kind of want to challenge myself and what I think I am capable of.

might also consider designing a HIIT routine that incorperates weights (probably as the lower intensity interval)
  • JonathonMars
    Options

theres something like this in the asylum strength dvd. but its like a progression, he ands an exercise and/or reps as the work out moves forward.

I suppose. I am not really sure what is considered a circuit, though. And yes, it's a cardio/strength thing, which is why I like it.

I do bent over rows, bicep curls, upright rows, overhead press, squats and then lunges.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options

I suppose. I am not really sure what is considered a circuit, though. And yes, it's a cardio/strength thing, which is why I like it.

I do bent over rows, bicep curls, upright rows, overhead press, squats and then lunges.

You should be using the next exercise to recover from the previous. Thus doing squats then lunges is counter-porductive.

Try pull-ups, bent over row, Kettlebell swings, overhead press, squats
    as little rest as possible through out the whole thing.

If you are still getting burnt then try a ladder. 2/4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2 = 50 reps of all exercises and awesome cardio
  • JonathonMars
    Options

You should be using the next exercise to recover from the previous. Thus doing squats then lunges is counter-porductive.

Try pull-ups, bent over row, Kettlebell swings, overhead press, squats
    as little rest as possible through out the whole thing.

If you are still getting burnt then try a ladder. 2/4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2 = 50 reps of all exercises and awesome cardio

Hahaha. I couldn't do a pull up if my life depended on it. But what you're saying kind of does make sense.