Need to hear from former bingers/food addicts

Options

Replies

• SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    there are 12 step recover programs for food addiction. for me, i have had to continue to accept that i can't eat "trigger foods"
    refined sugars and flours and reduce my fruits and certain carbs.
    along with this on a daily basis i ask God to help me

They say anything is possible with God...
  • Arlyn514
    Arlyn514 Posts: 16
    Options
    First, you did the very best thing to join here. The people are sooooo supportive. I am totally in awe of your courage. The best mindset is to log-in EVERYDAY whether you are good or bad, BE HONEST, with yourself and others. You will NOT be judged for not being perfect. Welcome and don't be afraid to ask for help. You are on the road to a lifestyle change.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    well, if you're a true binger, i suggest going to see a psychologist/psychiatrist. that's what i've had to do. then again, i've been back and forth with eating disorders - anorexia --> bulimia --> BED/COE. seeing someone truly was the ignition for the start of my journey back to health.

some of the things that we've gone over have been: accountability - track EVERYTHING you eat (the good, the bad, the ugly - if you overeat, figure out why you might have done so. were you sad/stressed/lonely/tired/bored/etc? did you just really want something and were refusing to let yourself have it, triggering a binge?), don't weigh yourself everyday, make breaking the binge/starve cycle the priority over weight loss (you won't lose weight if you're struggling against yourself), learn to -really really- enjoy food - don't deprive yourself but don't overdo it --> learn appropriate portions. it's ok to have ice cream. it's okay to have a cookie. but it's not ok to have a gallon of ice cream or an entire box of cookies - it's about reasoning with yourself and allowing yourself to not hate food but respect it as nourishment for your sacred body. spend time with your food --> it's amazing how much more you might enjoy something if you spend time and effort making it from scratch

also, as someone before me mentioned, the 12-step OA approach is good. look for an OA meeting - they're very nice and helpful if you're an emotional eater

also, i've enjoyed a few books: Brain over Binge, Intuitive Eating, and Women Food and God
  • moonbutt
    moonbutt Posts: 9
    Options
    anything IS possible with God.

i've been eating clean for 4 weeks with the help of a naturopath doctor. a miracle. prior to this i could sit down and eat a whole cake and it still wasn't enough. it will never be enough.
    my body already has less inflammation. the binges were slowly killing me, overloading my liver and thyroid.
    i haven't felt this good inside and out in years. it is hard work.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    anything IS possibly with God.

i've been eating clean for 4 weeks with the help of a naturopath doctor. a miracle. prior to this i could sit down and eat a whole cake and it still wasn't enough. it will never be enough.
    my body already has less inflammation. the binges were slowly killing me, overloading my liver and thyroid.
    i haven't felt this good inside and out in years. it is hard work.

Wow. Sounds amazing, congratulations! I want to do the same
  • asnnbrg
    asnnbrg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Former bulimic here still struggling with eating issues.

That said ...

1. If it's not in the house, you can't binge on it. Don't buy junk food, sweets, salty snacks, etc. if you know you'll be tempted.
    2. If you do have a craving for something, make it yourself. If you are willing to get the ingredients, prepare it and cook/bake it, then go ahead and enjoy some. By saving your "splurge" for the really good homemade stuff (as opposed to a cheap cardboard-y packet of cookies), you'll enjoy it more. But don't overindulge! Separate into individual serving sizes and freeze, OR take it to work and share it with everyone.
    3. Learn new ways to "reward" yourself. "I worked out; I have earned this!" can become about a cute new skirt or a facial rather than a pint of ice cream.

Hope some of that helps. :)
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the people above. If I buy chips or candy I do so fully understanding that I'm going to eat the whole thing. Logging an entire bag of chips feels pretty terrible, so I just don't buy the chips.

I bought my gf a foodlocker (google it) so that she can have junk in the house and neither one of us has to worry about me binge eating it.
  • Jaggedlilpunk
    Options
    Ok, for starters I probably used the wrong term in the title because I don't know exactly the definition of "a binger" or what makes someone a food addict.

All I know is as much as seeing the pictures of success many have had with losing weight, I really need to hear about how people have changed their mindset.

Currently I can (and do) consume up to a litre of ice cream a day, or I'll chow down half a box of chocolate cookies easily. I realize how much of a problem this is, and I'm scared of what the sugar and fat will do to my insides in the near and far future. Not even referring to just my pant size, but my mental and cardiovascular health.

I would love for people to tell me how did they change from living to eat to eating to live. It's been over a month now and I'm tired of this reckless eating.

I completely understand. I am having the same issues. Been on MFP for a few weeks now and CANNOT get my eating under control. I'll be fine all day, then I have ONE bad thing and it's like I stop caring and eat everything in sight. A friend of mine recommended logging binges so I can actually see my destructive behavior. I've been giving that a try...but it may be helpful to have some more friends on here with similar issues. Feel free to add me...maybe we can work together.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I used to be a major binge eater and am currently on week 3. First of all, the not keeping junk in my house doesn't apply because my husband eats it so I buy it for him. However I do buy him junk I don't actually like to eat, like popsicles and beef jerky. I drink a lot of water which helps. One day during my 2nd week I was about 2 seconds from eating everything in my fridge with the typical "I NEED it" mentality and really had to force myself to workout. It helped a little but not completely, so I just went to bed early. I think the trick is finding what works for YOU. Everyone is different. Gradually changing what you eat and how much you eat also helps a lot. Going "cold turkey" and completely changing everything in one day is unrealistic and never works for me.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with this so much... what worked for me was, I started measuring what I ate really carefully. Like I would see that a serving of ice cream is 1/2 a cup, so I'd measure out 1/2 a cup, log it here, and eat that. Then if I wanted more, I could have it, but I had to measure it and log it. 99% of the time, that extra second it took to decide to go get the measuring cup and open my food diary back up was the second I needed to remember that I didn't really need seconds. I figured the 1% that it was worth it got balanced out.

I think just log your snacks *before* you eat them so you can see how many calories it has... then enjoy the portion you have. I always get into trouble when I eat first and then log... I always eat so much more than I would have if I'd logged first!

I don't know if that will work for anyone else... it just so happened that I started really enjoying the whole process. It's like a game to me. I suppose my food obsession shifted into a calorie-counting obsession a little bit, but it feels a lot better.

^^^^^This 100% works for me. LOG, LOG, LOG!!
  • bear73000
    bear73000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My worst times for over eating was about an hour after I ate dinner. I would finish dinner and sit in front of the tv and start the count down on what I was going to have for a post dinner snack. When I decided to start making changes in my life, the first thing I started was going to the gym after I ate dinner. This way I was away from the house at my weakest time for snaking. So look at trying to change up your routines when if you seem to have a pattern on when you snake.

The other thing that helped was making better meals. That way if I did break down and ate later in the evening, the only thing I had to eat was a chicken breast with veggies. At least when I would break down, it was much more of a healthier option. On top of it, it didn't look as appealing to eat at 9 versus left over pasta with meat sauce or cheese burgers.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I was where you are. Half a box of cookies? Haha I ate the whole box. And half a camembert. Then I had McDonald's for lunch (large meal, thank you, and a cheeseburger as well). I'd buy half a pound of salami and eat it in two days, if that. Then after dinner I had 3 bars of chocolate (a third of one big bar). Sometimes more. I wasn't exercising though so it showed.

This site has actually helped a lot. I log everything before I eat it, then check what I have left for the day. I know I don't want to be hungry all day by eating too many calories in the morning, so I try to save the not so healthy extras for after dinner, if I have calories left. Often by then I'm not hungry for them anymore, but if I am, it's my reward for being good all day.

Protein bars and shakes have helped a lot. I love shakeology. If I feel a chocolate craving coming, I'll have that instead. The quest protein bars are healthier than most and help my sweet cravings as well. I have one every morning for breakfast. I still eat cheese, but I get the low fat stuff, and I only eat one serving at a time.

I don't buy junk food (ok, I lie, my kids still occasionally have some so we have some in the house, but I buy things I don't tend to binge on usually). I exercise to burn off a bit more, and to give me extra calories if I am hungry and have to go over my goal.

I started over 2 months ago now and it's been easier than I thought - I was really motivated and disgusted by food when I started though (after so much binging during the Holidays). I think it's really the key - you have to be motivated and ready for a lifestyle change when you start, and not think of it as a diet.
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    Here is what you should do. Grab your icecream, dole out one serving, eat it. Wait about five to ten minutes, if you're still hungry for more, grab another serving. The ice cream I eat is Eddy's low fat and it's 150 calories per serving which is about half a cup. Sometimes I have two servings. I eat it every day and my inches keep dropping because I exercise and watch the rest of my diet. Just remember moderation is key. Try and cut back slowly, make small changes over time. And don't feel bad about indulging. Sometimes instead of ice cream, I buy a fancy dark chocolate bar, I will grab three pieces from that and eat it. I won't eat the whole bar, but I will eat some.
  • asnnbrg
    asnnbrg Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I completely understand. I am having the same issues. Been on MFP for a few weeks now and CANNOT get my eating under control. I'll be fine all day, then I have ONE bad thing and it's like I stop caring and eat everything in sight. A friend of mine recommended logging binges so I can actually see my destructive behavior. I've been giving that a try...but it may be helpful to have some more friends on here with similar issues. Feel free to add me...maybe we can work together.

This is a process I'm still working through, but sometimes you just have to shrug off the mistake and go about your day. You can either continue eating at the next meal as if the mess-up (whatever it was) didn't happen, or you can acknowledge that mess-up and get in an extra workout to burn it off or eat a little lighter at the next meal to accommodate the calories. In the end, what you really can't afford to do is throw in the towel. Not only will you wake up the next day with a carb hangover or water retention from all the salt, but you'll also feel bad about yourself.

Second thing: I'm leery of anything that gets too much into shaming territory. I do think it's important to log ALL your calories, but if the logging binges becomes more of a way to make you feel bad about yourself, you might need a different strategy altogether. I spent 20+ years hating my body. Literally hating it. Doing everything I could to shame myself into thinness. In the end, none of it worked, and i just kept gaining weight. What finally clicked? When I realized that I needed to start loving myself and my body. It doesn't look the way I want it to, but wow, the things it can do! Once I started loving my body, it became easier to focus on fueling it the right way and exercising it to keep it strong and healthy.

Take it for what it's worth. :)
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Do you know WHY you are binging? Is it to feel better? Are you depressed or bored? Or does the thought of food sound better than it actually tastes so you keep eating it in hopes for that "satisfaction?"

Ask yourself each time WHY you are WANTING the foods and then you'll have your answer. You can then assess what to do in place of eating that food to satisfy the feelings you're masking.

Remember, if the thought of lettuce sounds good to you, then you are truly hungry. If not, then it is a craving and not hungry.
  • Lunarbeanie
    Lunarbeanie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm only at the beginning of my journey (again!).
    I have portion control issues. Mine are carby things like noodles, rice, etc...
    I journal my food (log) which I hate because I have to be accountable for the food I put in my mouth.
    I do try to keep trigger foods (like nuts) out of the house.
    I buy treats in portion controlled sizes (like Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches) and keep things like chips, etc out of the house.

I have starting planning my suppers (my time of day when I want to eat everything in sight). I do make things like pasta, but I mix them in with other foods so that I can't just eat that. I also make less of it so that there are no/less leftovers.

I'm trying to find other, healthier options that I would like to eat.
    And come here, make friends, get support, talk to your doctor to make sure there are no other issues (thyroid, etc.. like me which makes it harder - very slow metabolism).

And don't starve yourself, have small snacks so that you don't feel starving.
    Feel free to friend me if that helps.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE! you guys rock, haven't had time to read all the replies but I will and know I'll feel very encouraged.
  • MacDHH
    MacDHH Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes at stressful times in life (ironic, considering that the body's natural response to stress should be to not eat, rather than overeat). What helped me the most was to do something with my hands, like knitting, sewing, or even just writing...it seems that once I found an outlet for my nervous energy, I could stave off the comfort eating.
  • 215jenn
    215jenn Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was (and somedays still am) where you are. I remember very clearly sitting in bed one day eating a package of poptarts, going to getting a bar of chocolate and it went on and on until for some reason thinking "I'm killing myself". But then I tried to go too far the other way, I tried to stop entirely, punishing myself for eating "badly" nothing physical, but certainly mental. I recognized that this wasn't healthy or appropriate either and have worked out a way for me that works.

I prelog all my food the night before (or as close to an estimation as I can get).
    I prepackage snacks when I'm feeling really good and in control. (My daily pre-packaged snacks are one half serving sea salt almonds and 4 starburst)
    I monitor my calories closely so that I can justify mathematically the food that I want. I look at the numbers, I plan it out and I think consciously now about my decisions. Food is not implusive for me right now.

I think making food a conscious choice has been the most difficult and the most helpful thing to accomplish. You can look at my diary if you'd like - I feel as though I eat a reasonable, sustainable diet 99% of the time. There are good choices (chicken, clementines, veggies) and there are "bad" choices (chocolate cake, shamrock shakes), but they're all choices that I enjoy and intentional consumptions.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Dont have that much ice cream, or whatever else you binge on, in the house. Get the tiny single serving ice creams and limit yourself to one a day. If you can't each just one, don't buy more than one. If you're not the one buying the groceries then you're screwed lol Gonna have to dig deep and just tell yourself NO. Stop treating yourself like a spoiled child. Of course you may want to eat everything in your house but tell yourself NO and get as far away from the kitchen as possible. This is how I overcame a lot of my overeating.