How slow is too slow?

Options
I am struggling if i am not losing fast enough. I have lost 12 pounds in the first month. I definetly have a ways to go before I reach my goal weight. Am i just being impatient or do I need to step things up? Any advise will be appreciated.

Have a fabulous day !

Replies

• avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell with so little info.

What are you eating for cals and doing for exercise?

An open diary helps people answer.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in one month? That's awesome! Start worrying if you are losing less than 1-2 pounds a week. Otherwise sounds like you are doing great.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in a month isn't at all slow!

Even ten pounds a month is a little more than 2 pounds a week!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    12 lbs. in a month is 3 pounds a week, I would not get to comfortable losing at that pace for to long cause it is really unsustainable. Shoot for 1 to 2 lbs, a week and wrap your head around the fact that this isn't a race it is a lifestyle and if you think of it in those terms then there is really no reason to hurry the rest of your life is there??? Be patient, stay the course, and you will be fine..... Best of Luck....
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think 12 lbs is a great weight loss for one month. MFP recommends one pound per week.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in a month is a significant loss, be excited about it.

I would disagree with the person who says "Start worrying if you are losing less than 1-2 pounds a week". Weight loss isn't linear, you might go 2 weeks without losing a thing, then have a week where you lose a few pounds. Also, your loss "potential" is going to depend on your starting weight. Heavier people lose more quickly. Don't worry about the number on the scale unless you go several weeks without a change and you are sure you are bring accurate in your logging.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I was expecting to hear that you are losing less than 2 pounds a MONTH! No...not too slow. Not even close. I started in September and have been losing about 3 pounds/month. Quick fixes might be motivating in the short run, but for long-term success you need to pace yourself.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    12 lbs. in a month is 3 pounds a week, I would not get to comfortable losing at that pace for to long cause it is really unsustainable. Shoot for 1 to 2 lbs, a week and wrap your head around the fact that this isn't a race it is a lifestyle and if you think of it in those terms then there is really no reason to hurry the rest of your life is there??? Be patient, stay the course, and you will be fine..... Best of Luck....

Great advice! I am thrilled with 1/2 lb a week. Sometimes I go few weeks without losing any lbs. But, my goals are to be healthy and fit for life. I'm learning not to believe the scale and what it says about me.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    12 lbs in a month is awesome!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Agreed. :drinker:
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in a month is a significant loss, be excited about it.

I would disagree with the person who says "Start worrying if you are losing less than 1-2 pounds a week". Weight loss isn't linear, you might go 2 weeks without losing a thing, then have a week where you lose a few pounds. Also, your loss "potential" is going to depend on your starting weight. Heavier people lose more quickly. Don't worry about the number on the scale unless you go several weeks without a change and you are sure you are bring accurate in your logging.

This is a great point. I often go up to 3 weeks with no change on the scale, then it suddenly shows a 6 lb loss. I have no idea what causes that, but in the end it doesn't really matter. I'm not racing anybody!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 13 pounds in 4 months so be happy- looks like you are doing great!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with the others, that what you've lost so far has been significant in a short amount of time! By your ticker you only have 21 lbs to go, so be prepared for losses to slow down as you progress and get closer to goal weight. It's a bummer, but true, and slow and steady is the best way to do it. Hang in there - you're off to a great start!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    1 % of your bodyweight per week is a good rule of thumb for maximum weight loss. Even that is tough to do for months on end.

If you set an unreasonable goal from a time standpoint you will likely get discouraged and fail. Find a diet that you can live with for an entire year. The slow weight loss usually means a "tolerable", sensible meal plan that will also train you how to eat properly to keep the weight off.
  • aboure
    aboure Posts: 11
    Options
    I want to thank all of you for the great motivation. I have figured out how to make my food diary open for future posts. I should have given more info. I started at 225 and am now 212. It has been 33 days of eating basically Paleo- Grains, dairy, legume and sugar free. i say basically because i love my So Delicious Coffee creamer and the occasional hummus and sesame chips. I seemed to develope quite a few food insensitivities in the last year so cutting those seems to be helping quite a bit. Again thanks for the support! This site is amazing!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    As much as I love watching the biggest loser, this is one of the things I hate, it makes people think that losing 3lbs a week just isn't cutting it, when in real life situations that is awesome, so keep up the good work, and expect it to drop off a little bit!
  • aboure
    aboure Posts: 11
    Options
    you are so right. I get caught up in hearing about others losing twenty pounds or 2 pant sizes in a short amount of time. I guess the difference would be that i am making lifestyle changes and not fad dieting with starvation. I am hoping to make differnt eating habits rather than lose quickly.
    :flowerforyou: